Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Read Only
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That day has come. I have done the fell deed and traded my leaky, squeeky TBS for a purring, pouncing Tiger 955i (in black).

The list of things going wrong on the TBS was getting longer and more expensive. I stumbled upon a 2001 Tiger in great condition at a grrreaat price. So i traded style and unreliability for modern trustworthyness and all day two-up comfort.

I won't be a stranger to the classic forum though cos it is the most interesting and will still poke my nose in. I'm gonna say hi on the tiger forums too.

The one promise I made to myself is that when things are a little more settled and I have somewhere to farkle and tinker properly, I'm gonna get a classic to farkle and tinker with and turn it into the bike I always dreamed of :D

Farkle and tinker on my friends, keep those Tbirds thumping.

Cheers

Wayne

ps my new ride...

·
Registered
89 Posts
May I ask how many miles, and the major reliability issues you've had? I've got a '98 TBS with more than 30,000 miles - almost half of them last year alone - and have found it to be pretty reliable.

Congrats on the Tiger. Two wheels is two wheels.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Congratulations on the new Tiger. While I love my Legend and we'll never part, I can see a Tiger in my future retirement years, mostly for dirt roads and long, long touring. I just hope the newer ones are as easy to work on as my Legend, which is almost as much fun to wrench on as it is to drive.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
oh noooooo! Now we will never get to the bottom of that clutch leak!
:confused:

Seriously, nice bike mate, i rode a 96 tigger for a while - loved it - very different to the Tbird but lots of fun. Enjoy! :D

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
That's a nice looking TBS, I can see why you still list it as your favourite bike ! :D

Good luck with your Tiger they're great machines, I would like one myself but you're soon to join the ranks of the "Wish I had never sold my T-bird !"

----------------
Ride on ! :p

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Congrats on the new Tiger, Wayne ! It's my favourite of the other models as a great all rounder ;).

Hope you're still on for the Ireland Rally !

Mike

·
Read Only
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
May I ask how many miles, and the major reliability issues you've had? I've got a '98 TBS with more than 30,000 miles - almost half of them last year alone - and have found it to be pretty reliable.

Congrats on the Tiger. Two wheels is two wheels.

It had just over 32,000 miles. Actually the bike in itself started every time on the button (well almost). It was the list of things that needed replacing that was getting out of hand. Both wheels rims were dented (rear only slightly), front suspension needed a major overhaul, rear suspension was on it's way out, paintwork was shoddy and alloy parts pitted to hell.

To get the bike how I wanted it would have cost more time and money than I have at the moment. It was still a good bike, just in need of a LOT of TLC. The previous owner(s) had really neglected it and certainly thrown it down the road on at least one occasion.

MICK, that leak will have to be the one that got away I'm afraid. I did look at the sprocket cover though and it was all straight as far as I could tell. Who knows what was wrong there :rolleyes:Wonky cases? Excess oil pressure or goblins in the clutch?

SEVVY, I intend to be wrenching on the Tiger just as much. A man has gotta farkle :)

TBIRDNZ, One day in the not so distant future I will get another to lavish with the attention it deserves. And the Tbird's will remain my favorite bikes. Too cool.

Thanks guys,

Wayne

·
Read Only
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats on the new Tiger, Wayne ! It's my favourite of the other models as a great all rounder ;).

Hope you're still on for the Ireland Rally !

Mike

Cheers Mike,

I'd still like to come to Ireland if you can accept an ex-classic rider in the ranks :D

Of course, the Tiger will be well suited to those fabled Irish road surfaces :p

Wayne

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Cheers Mike,

I'd still like to come to Ireland if you can accept an ex-classic rider in the ranks :D

Of course, the Tiger will be well suited to those fabled Irish road surfaces :p

Wayne
Hmmm....I might have to double the entrance fee to two pints...(No stipulation on by whom or where the 'entance fee' is consumed tho', wouldn't want to over-regulate things :p)

Yup, we'll all want to know how cushty your Tiger is on the Irish boreens :D

Mike

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I like it.

Nice Tiger. I've been looking to obtain a tiger myself. But I want to add it to the stable, not replace anything. My Tbird and TBS are still spring chickens, so they will stay with me if I can help it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
BigRed, l was hoping to bump into you in the "smoke" as a fellow Londoner. l have done the reverse and sold my 955i ST and bought a 2003 TBS. Still, l know how you feel, lf you feel in your bones you have a wrong'un , cut your losses. You might , like me be offered a good'un and come back to the fold. l must say that the 955i engine is a cracker but l am loving the Lancaster bomber on takeoff noise of the TBS, go on admit it you are going to miss it!. If you pass a orange and black 2003 TBS with gaiters and a smoked Givi screen give us a toot.

·
Registered
671 Posts
you'll enjoy the Tiger - it was a close run thing between one of them and a TBS when I was looking for a 'modern' bike.. if my TBS hadnt come up at the right price I'd have gone for a Tiger... should be good fun blatting around town on it...

might well be interested if you do decide to sell the exhaust off your TBS..

Neil

·
Read Only
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NeilD,
I will definitely keep you posted about the pipes. I'll probably make a decision over the weekend.

Keyman,
I do miss the sound and feel of the TBS but as you say, it was a "wrong un". Where in London are you? I'll keep my eyes peeled :)
I'm black Tiger in SW London with Arai condor (george cross design).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts