Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems I have an instrument panel lighting problem on my Legend. A few days ago the bulb that lights the speedo blew. As I was removing the rear cover to check the bulb I noticed that one of the two bulbs that light the rev counter would flicker on and off if the outer casing of the instrument panel was knocked. So I’m suspecting a wiring problem somewhere. Anyway, I checked the speedo bulb and it was visibly blown. I’ve checked the two bulbs on the rev counter side and both appear good. I’ve bought new replacement bulbs and now have no instrument panel lights at all…ignition, neutral etc headlight and indicators are all fine and fuse is fine……I may be wrong but I’m assuming that the 3 bulbs are not in series because the original blown bulb did not cause the other two to fail.
I haven’t put a meter on anything yet but was wondering if the wiring for the three bulbs connects at a common point e.g in the headlight casing

Any ideas or pointers would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but is there only one speedo bulb (mine's a TBS)? I've replaced the top one, but then noticed there were 2 on the rev counter (one side of which had blown) so assumed there must be an inaccessible one at the bottom of the speedo as well. Was planning to remove the headlight this evening to have a look!

I don't yet have a Haynes manual, so this was my font of knowledge:

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=303878&block_03=20036

·
Registered
144 Posts
So it seems I'm not the first bodger to own my TBS, the DPO (Dreaded Previous Owner) has removed said smaller speedo bulb and left the socket loose. Anyone have a link to what it should have been (since my link shows them all to be the same shape 1.7W)? I'm gonna struggle to find one to fit else! (Again, sorry for the hijack)

Pete

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is another bulb on the left speedometer side below the trip odometer it is smaller however to the other bulbs.
Cheers Mark. I thought as much as Haynes shows four bulbs but for the life of me I couldn't see the fourth one as I expected it to be the same size as the others doh!....I know exactly where you mean now so thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to hijack, but is there only one speedo bulb (mine's a TBS)? I've replaced the top one, but then noticed there were 2 on the rev counter (one side of which had blown) so assumed there must be an inaccessible one at the bottom of the speedo as well. Was planning to remove the headlight this evening to have a look!

I don't yet have a Haynes manual, so this was my font of knowledge:

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=303878&block_03=20036
Thanks for hijacking Pete as you've pointed me in the direction of the "invisible bulb" !!....I thought there was another one but didn't want to pull as couldn't be sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts