Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my 78 T140E a couple of days ago when I got back from vacation. Third kick after 10 days sitting so I was pretty pleased considering the difficult starting that I have been experiencing. I went to start it again today and the kicker just kicks through with no resistance. I'm guessing there something broken in the kicker ratchet system but would appreciate any insight if anyone has had similar problems. TIA.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Check that something hasn't happened to the clutch mechanism...........cable or adjustment for starters. If the clutch is being held in the released mode, for some reason, then what you're describing would happen. This is the first, and easiest thing to check; who knows, you just may get lucky.
Hope this helps: Jim

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
First thing I'd suspect is a broken kickstart ratchet spring, which is on the gearbox mainshaft timing side end. That's what happened to my bike.

Or the ratchet pinion, which is pushed into mesh by the spring, is somehow sticky to slide on the shaft.

This stuff is accessible under the gearbox outer cover. Leave the kickstart and gearchange pedals in place when you remove the cover.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
First thing I'd suspect is a broken kickstart ratchet spring, which is on the gearbox mainshaft timing side end. That's what happened to my bike.

Or the ratchet pinion, which is pushed into mesh by the spring, is somehow sticky to slide on the shaft.

This stuff is accessible under the gearbox outer cover. Leave the kickstart and gearchange pedals in place when you remove the cover.
The spring only returns the lever to the upright position, how would a broken one prevent the quadrant from engaging the pinion and turning the motor over?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Marc, you are talking about the kickstart lever return spring.

The ratchet spring is something else.
My mistake, I misread the post. I still don't think the pinion moves back far enough with a broken spring to disengage the quadrant from connecting to the pinion.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just went and tried again and it's working fine now. Bike started right up. I'm a bit concerned in case the happens again on the road, so I still welcome any thoughts about what I should look at.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I just went and tried again and it's working fine now. Bike started right up. I'm a bit concerned in case the happens again on the road, so I still welcome any thoughts about what I should look at.
Those kinds of issues just suck in your mind. It fixed itself and you may never know what the issue was and it may never do it again. So you will always wonder WTH it was.
:frown2:

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I think it may lie with the initial setting of the clutch release mechanism - just wondering if its possible for the lift assy with the 3 balls in it to go past the normal fully lifted position so that the balls ride up out of the ramps and thus the lift assy stays lifted ? -- just a thought !! --- try resetting the clutch completely to the manual --( loosen cable completely then reset the centre locknut - readjust cable)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Adding to wol's line of thinking. I recently had a problem with the lift assembly clicking and it appeared to be the tree balls riding up too high and resetting the clutch adjustment fixed it. Johntioc suggestion was to turn the center adjusting screw in till it made contact with the rod then another half turn to make sure the balls are positively set back in place.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sounds like a stuck clutch don't it? If it fixed itself I think that would be even more indicative of that being the original problem.

I think we've all forgotten and tried to kick her over with the clutch lever gripped tight. Lever goes straight down with no resistance and a definite "sound".

NeilPP Try pulling the clutch and kicking and see if it feels and sounds the same as the problem you were having.

If so then the occasionally sticking clutch is no biggie. If it does it all the time then you need some attention/adjusting/replacing.

My $0.02 USD :grin2:

ETA

OOPS! I didn't click the next page.

Someone with more knowledge already suggested adjusting the clutch.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do wonder if this is clutch related - it sticks quite a lot and has a very heavy lever action. I do plan to go in there and clean the plates at some point, and replace them if needed.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Check for damaged cotter pin.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Rev can you give me a clue on the location of the cotter pin that you refer to? Thanks!
The pin bolt that holds the kicker on the shaft is referred to as a cotter pin the UK. A cotter pin here in the US is referred to as a split pin in the UK. A parts manual will show this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts