Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my breather box and throttle cable, along with a couple of hoses today on my 1200 Daytona

When I tried to start it it was no go. When I had the carbs off I had them up side down for a while, and some gas came out.
The coils are hooked up, the only thing I did to them was put some dielectric grease on the connector plugs.
Could the carbs be airlocked, or could turning them upside down do anything?
When I turn it over It doesn't even burp, with the choke on or not.:confused: Any help would be appreciated
Chris

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike worked great, and then the throttle cable broke. I had to change the cable, so I changed the breather box and carb rubbers, along with a couple of hoses.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Man, it's gotta be something simple! Does it have gas, is the petcock turned on? Kill switch accidently tripped? I've had these moments, they are frustrating, it's usually something simple overlooked.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it's some thing simple too, I worked on it all afternoon until around seven oclock. I got gas at the cross over, and tomorrow I'll check for gas at the t's between the carbs. Hopefully I can do it with out having to take the tank off....again

·
Registered
372 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the carbs being upside down, that should not have affected anything. Fuel, air, spark is all it takes. Too bad there isn't an easy way to check for spark without removing the tank.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked for fire and the bikes got lots of spark.Spark plugs were dry. I have fuel at the fuel tap, carb hoses, but the bike just doesn't seem to want to take its fuel. I pulled back the breather box and squirted some gas into the carbs, hoping to somehow prime the carbs. The bike tried to start, and backfired a couple of times. There isn't any drain on the bottom of the Mikunis so how do you tell if it is full. Could my float valve or the floats be stuck from flipping them over:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Triumphforever, Doesn't the petcock require vacuum to open? Just something I think I read. Is there a 'prime' setting?

Brad

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The petcock is a vacuum valve it has off, prime, and run.When I open the fuel valve, gas flows freely from the tank. It' almost like the carbs are air locked.But when it fired up with me putting gas in the carbs, you would think it would pick up its gas.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I can see if just one float valve got stuck, but it should still fire and run on the other cylinders. I'm thinking maybe something with the vacuum petcock? Just thinking out loud here...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi ,Triumphforever, have you tried a quick blast of compressed air down the fuel supply hose? it may unseat the stuck float valves. DonnyDarko .UK

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi ,Triumphforever, have you tried a quick blast of compressed air down the fuel supply hose? it may unseat the stuck float valves. DonnyDarko .UK
That sounds like a good idea, could it hurt anything else?
Do the float bowls have drains that are accessible with a screwdriver? If so, remove one and see if there is gas in the bowl.
There are no drains on the float bowls. I ordered a new petcock, dealer said it will be here in 3 days. I wonder if I hooked a vacuum up to the petcock or to the one carb that the vacuum hose hooks to. Does the vacuum suck from the petcock or does it suck from the carb?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would be careful with the air pressure if you decide to put any air down the line. You could possibly bend the tang on the floats which would affect your float level adjustment.

Is it possible to use or make a different tank to hook up and gravity feed fuel to the carbs? Maybe it's something to try while you wait on the petcock.

·
Registered
978 Posts
It sucks from the carb.
Maybe there's something wrong with the 'prime' setting.
It would then only be a problem with empty carbs.
There is a kit to repair a fueltap. Brought one years ago from Sprint Manufacturing.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
978 Posts
Did you connect all the pipework up correctly?
I seem to remember (years ago :)
Connecting a breather tube up in place of a feed tube.
Sorry because its a pain to take the tank off again!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sardinecan.... I think your right about the compressed air, it may do more harm than good. I thought about trying another fuel source, but the strange thing about it is when I take the fuel line off the petcock, gas runs right out, and when I take the hose off the crossover gas runs out. Maybe when thier hooked up it needs a vacuum to make the flow, and without the vacuum the gas just sits there. But you would think when the bike turns over on the starter it would make the vacuum.
Chris

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New petcock

Installed the new petcock that I got in the mail yesterday. I tickled the carbs with a bottle of gas, and put the petcock on prime and it started and ran. I adjusted the cable, and it is running fine. I will rebuild the old petcock, and order another cable clip, that must have fell down under the starter.:mad:
It'll be good to be back on the road, we should get a few more weeks before it snows. I think I will order a warm all weather riding suit.
Here's the old petcock.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts