Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thats cool, it looks like a clean set up. For the #'s and letters, you can just use white paint and it would look good and save $

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
+1 on steep price. i don't mind paying when it's reasonable, but that price seems a bit much.

·
Registered
471 Posts
yeah that's like 20 bucks a hole, how much is a fill and paint job anyway?
Right, remember that this is a low volume item that takes some work to fab, and took some time to create. $99 seems OK to me, though I bet it will be on sale for $75 in the not to distance future.

Jim :cool:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I can understand some not wanting to drill holes in a new bike - guess it makes it seem unoriginal, drilling it. Also, a guy may want to remove the plate for a change and not have the holes.
Me? Man, I load up that drill bit and fire away when needed. :D

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Whenever I'm in a strong crosswind I remember why I don't fit one of these.:D
They look cool but - it's a sail!

·
Registered
58 Posts
i swear, majority will agree that 99 bucks is just plain silly. and then theres always an opinion that would just agree that that price point is fair, for the sake of disagreeing. no rational reason, especially following with the admission it will eventually be coming down in price. whats the point in agreeing in the first place then?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great idea

Well, I like the mount method they used (bars going to the existing stay bolts) but not all the hardware that bolts up to the plate. It did inspire me to design my own that will have the little bars that go to the stay bolts welded to the # plate for a cleaner look. Future project. :D

·
Registered
317 Posts
I can understand some not wanting to drill holes in a new bike - guess it makes it seem unoriginal, drilling it. Also, a guy may want to remove the plate for a change and not have the holes.
Me? Man, I load up that drill bit and fire away when needed. :D
yep, fair enough, but neat holes arn't a problem, when you don't want it attached just remove it and get some rubber plug grommets ( the sort you get from auto shops to fill holes through a firewall in car ) etc,
they're available in many sizes too ! :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
i swear, majority will agree that 99 bucks is just plain silly. and then theres always an opinion that would just agree that that price point is fair, for the sake of disagreeing. no rational reason, especially following with the admission it will eventually be coming down in price. whats the point in agreeing in the first place then?
:rolleyes:

You never designed, produced, marketed and sold anything I am guessing!

·
Registered
317 Posts
:rolleyes:

You never designed, produced, marketed and sold anything I am guessing!

yeah, lot's of us have,
we're probably just sick of mobs making simple **** and hitting up the price 'cose they know we're suckers for moding stuff on our great machines. that's why many of us hand make our own bits at times. just got to be handy with your hands, that's all, I made a jig up to make just the same type of item and can produce a better one for about 25 bucks ? :)

it an't rocket science

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
If you think it's priced too high (or you can do better)... just don't buy it.

I really don't see the point in complaining about it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you think it's priced too high (or you can do better)... just don't buy it.

I really don't see the point in complaining about it.
sorry! we didn't mean to have a discussion without your approval! :p

·
Registered
471 Posts
yeah, lot's of us have,
we're probably just sick of mobs making simple **** and hitting up the price 'cose they know we're suckers for moding stuff on our great machines. that's why many of us hand make our own bits at times. just got to be handy with your hands, that's all, I made a jig up to make just the same type of item and can produce a better one for about 25 bucks ? :)

it an't rocket science

Making a couple for your friends, and making a hundred you have to market, produce, package, and sell is an entirely different process.

I have no doubt you could make one or 5 for $25 in parts, but now add purchassing the equipment to do it, add the time it took to design it, set up to make them, and pay for the specialized equipment, and the cost rises dramatically. This is even more so for small run productions.

Tooling costs money.

Shop space costs money.

Parts cost money.

Powder coating costs money.

Insurance costs money.

Labor costs money.

Making a product and not expecting the company to make a reasonable profit is not very realistic. If they make a dollar a unit, and sell a couple hundred units do you really think it is worth their time to do it?

I see people complain about a $25 AI removal kit that is little more than anodized bolts and washers with a fancy Brit flag on it, but they do not get them for free, it costs money to produce those items!

Feel free to make your own, and feel free to think stuff is over proced, but at least consider that some people would prefer not to have too, or do not have the skills to make their own, but want the product.

That's my point.

PS Because I do have some skills, I make a lot of my own stuff, even for my BMW, but I appreciate that not everyone can!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Making a couple for your friends, and making a hundred you have to market, produce, package, and sell is an entirely different process.
Jim is spot on, it is not easy or cheap to bring a new product to market. Especially a small market like the one referenced here. Some folks have more money than time so it makes sense to buy instead of fabricating. Also it is quite allright to complain, it's American.

·
Registered
317 Posts

I have no doubt you could make one or 5 for $25 in parts, but now add purchassing the equipment to do it, add the time it took to design it, set up to make them, and pay for the specialized equipment, and the cost rises dramatically. This is even more so for small run productions.

Tooling costs money.

Shop space costs money.

Parts cost money.

Powder coating costs money.

Insurance costs money.

Labor costs money.

Making a product and not expecting the company to make a reasonable profit is not very realistic. If they make a dollar a unit, and sell a couple hundred units do you really think it is worth their time to do it?

I see people complain about a $25 AI removal kit that is little more than anodized bolts and washers with a fancy Brit flag on it, but they do not get them for free, it costs money to produce those items!

Feel free to make your own, and feel free to think stuff is over proced, but at least consider that some people would prefer not to have too, or do not have the skills to make their own, but want the product.

That's my point.

PS Because I do have some skills, I make a lot of my own stuff, even for my BMW, but I appreciate that not everyone can!
well now I guess we've all just heard from the newbonneville representative:biglaugh:

ps. the fun of tooling stuff for yourself helps make your machine as individual as you are .IMHO
but I understand many out there arn't D9 either, eh ?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts