Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone from New Jersey fill me in on the procedure for registering a bike with no title but only a bill of sale?

TIA,
John

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have done this several times. They will require the bill of sale and a pencil rubbing of the serial number in order to give you a title, which you will need before registering. Any DMV office will tell you exactly what you need to do. I would suggest getting Historic plates, a one time fee of like 60 bucks and you never have to worry about inspection. As long as the bike is over 25 years old. They will give you some line about only using it for parades or some small amount of mileage per year, but I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone - You have all been very helpful.

kcnlisa, is there a preferred (standard) form for the bill of sale? Or is it enough to have date, names and addresses of the parties, description of the bike, vin and price?

Did I leave anything out?

John (newbie at this)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not sure, it's been a while. That's why I suggested going to your local DMV office with what you have, and asking them what you need. I bought a 76 Sportster once with no paperwork at all and I had to do the pencil rubbing thing, take pictures from two angles and post an ad to make sure it wasn't stolen etc. That was a hassel. Then I bought a 76 Sportster with a torn NY title and had to go the title service route. The last bike, a 69 Sportster was from Boston with only a bill of sale and they only wanted some forms filled out and the pencil rubbings. I don't recall what the bill of sale looked like or contained. Well, no more Sportsters for now, just the 72 Bonnie I've had forever and the new America. Where in NJ are you? Send me a PM and I'll give you my number.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts