Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For months I have tried to find an answer to the least pricey, easiest and safest way to upgrade my 2010 Triumph Bonneville front brake. I have found a lot about calipers that need drilling/machining to make all 3 pots work together and calipers with two brake fluid lines, but this is not what I am looking for. What I want is a straight forward no ABS bolt on NISSIN 3 pot caliper with one brake fluid line that will be functioning without any drilling or machining what soever. Just that. If anyone knows what bikes could donate such a caliper and, if necessary, what bracket I would need to make it fit my bike it would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
518 Posts
That's a long and winding road you're going down and even when you find one (if you do) the chances are it'll need a lot of work on it, also there are people out there trying to sell ones that don't work, as if they do, or may do..........

My advice if you want to go down this road is you buy one of these that has been converted already.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/front-brake-left-nissin-caliper-for-triumph-bonneville-scrambler-thruxton/253904276771?hash=item3b1ddfcd23:g:iqwAAOSwn-tZNq22

I've seen one and they are brand new with all new fittings supplied, the seller is a good guy.........

I hope this helps........

·
Registered
473 Posts
That's good as it has the brake line and brake pads included

The one I bought a few years a go had the 3 pistons already linked together, think the give away is the non linked one has 2 banjo bolts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yes, This is a converted one and the second banjo port is simply blocked off with a bolt, it does look smart and OK though. It all fits straight on, well it did when I tried it out......... I didn't end up using it as I decided to stay with the stock set-up using upgraded pads, top quality fluid and a Stahlbus bleed nipple, which works really well at getting all the air out.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Sorry cannot remember which Honda my 3 pot caliper came off but I did have to buy the pair from a breakers so I have a right hand side sitting in the shed , straight bolt on no messing about did not come from a bike with linked brakes . I would assume the earlier the model the less chance of the dreaded linked brakes .

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
A few right hand calipers for sale on ebay no lefts though . There should be a list of possible donor bikes somewhere on here , search the threads about this conversion .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks

That's a long and winding road you're going down and even when you find one (if you do) the chances are it'll need a lot of work on it, also there are people out there trying to sell ones that don't work, as if they do, or may do..........

My advice if you want to go down this road is you buy one of these that has been converted already.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/front-brake-left-nissin-caliper-for-triumph-bonneville-scrambler-thruxton/253904276771?hash=item3b1ddfcd23:g:iqwAAOSwn-tZNq22

I've seen one and they are brand new with all new fittings supplied, the seller is a good guy.........

Thanks for the comments and link. I was hoping to find an older non linked caliper and avoid the ones that have been tampered with to make all pots work together, but I guess, like you say, finding one in a decent shape will be a problem. As long as these converted ones are safe I guess that's what I'll end up with eventually, that and an EBC floating disc.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Done it. Mine was off a CBF1000, the pair with hoses attached. Was listed as Nassan breaks not Nissin on e-bay.
I set alerts for all possible bikes for a better chance to find them.
Straight swap,no modifications, fitted perfectly. Factor in new pads and new rotor.
I gave mine a complete strip and clean, checking all part which were good.
Worth the searching as its a great upgrade!!
Good luck.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Does the Nissin unit interfere with the fender brace as do some of the other brake alternatives?

·
Premium Member
149 Posts

Any idea BR what the Part or Model Number of this caliper is. Just wonder how you go about replacing things like Pads, Pins and Seals in the future.Cheers.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Any idea BR what the Part or Model Number of this caliper is. Just wonder how you go about replacing things like Pads, Pins and Seals in the future.Cheers.
Sorry I don't have that info, but I'm sure they are easily obtainable, maybe worth messaging the seller? I found him very helpful. The pads were genuine Nissin ones and had a part number on them if I remember correctly.

·
Banned
976 Posts
Im thinking about getting the norman hyde offering. Anyone have anything nice or bad to say about it except the horrible price tag?

Skickat från min Pixel via Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
None of these 3 pot Nissin posts that I can find talk about using them on the dual disc Bonneville T-120
Rotor is the same 310mm as the T-100
Yes the fender strut will have to be moved/removed

Will it fit the T-120?

·
Registered
986 Posts
The T120 uses the same calipers as the T100, so yes, in theory they will fit. I haven't done it, so you'll have to double check yourself. I have a pair of the three pistol calipers in my garage waiting to go on a 120 front end ..........just haven't got time to do it yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts