Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The verdict is in. The heat in Phoenix shortens the life of the batteries in those Nissan Leafs by a ton. So much so that They bought back two of the suckers so far.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Not surprising I suppose. I wonder how many they've sold in the Phoenix area. Heck, I wonder how many they've sold in the US at all. Even around San Francisco, one of the few areas in the US where it might make sense to own a car like that and a city known for it's early adopters of all things 'green', I rarely see one. Heck, I've probably seen as many or more Tesla roadsters as Leafs on the road.

It's a fine idea and all, and if somebody wants to buy one go right ahead. However the distance from my house to my office is 70 miles one way. From what I understand the leaf would only make that under the best possible circumstances. Not quite what I'd call 'ready for prime time', at least not for the average US consumer.

On the other hand, if somebody wants to try to force me to buy one (be it the government or an individual who's preaching at me) they can get bent. And if they start in on telling me about '0 emissions', I'll be forced to correct them to 'remote emissions' (likely generated by a coal burning power plant here in the US) and ask them about the sustainability of the batteries and factories that make them.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I talked to the Nissan sales guy back when looking for a car and although I was not interested in purchasing at this point I was intrested in the technology/process of owning one. He told me they come to your house and set up your charging station. It is a very complicated process.

Definitely not ready for prime time.

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
There are often problems with 1st gen technology, and the Leaf is such. If no one used it though, and waited until it was perfect, we'd be riding horses. And not be using computers to talk to people all over the world.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
It's not as far-fetched as riding a vehicle with only two wheels on it. :Chopper

I've seen one or two of the Leafs around here. I have a 33-mile one-way commute, and I like my heating and air conditioning, so it's out of the question for me. I'd want a range at least double my round-trip to work to be on the safe side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts