Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just did 1,400 mi. trip on the T-Bird and thought I would post some of the pics. of the trip. I had great weather and spent a couple of nights with some friends in Virginia. It was my first long trip with my larger tank and it does take the worry over where the next fuel stop will be, as I stayed mostly on secondary roads and at one point in West Virginia I passed three post offices before I came to a fuel station. I can still stop every 100 mi. or so it just doesn't have to be at a fuel station.:D I also visited the Wheels Through Time Motorcycle museum although they only had two British Bikes( neither one a Triumph) it was fantastic and if you are ever in Maggie Valley North Carolina I would recommend stopping there. Thunderbird ran great with out any problems. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
Trip

Awesome trip Randy!! Glad it went well, and I'm jealous after watching it rain at the Ozark Rat Raid for 3 days.....exactly how much range does your LARGE tank give you? Tturbo2

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom, if I don't twist on the throttle too much I can safely go 280 mi. on a full tank, and start pushing at around 300 mi.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Sounds like a great trip Randy.When did you go?

I heard the guys at the Bonneville Rally saw some cold and rain over the weekend in Maggie Valley.

I'm glad I stayed here because the weather was fantastic.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Al I left 4-26 and stayed in Asheville N.C. Sunday and went to Maggie Valley on Monday morning. The museum has the worlds largest collection of running motorcycles that are 100 yrs. old or older, and it does not take much to get them to fire one up! The motorcycles that is.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hey Randy,

How did you attach the temp gauge? I just got one from Jegs, and am thinking about fabricating a handlebar mount, but maybe stealing is the best form of flattery, correct?

PS - Al, I was in Hershey with my bands on Friday, and we stopped at the Meadows on the way home for some custard. Man that stuff is so much better than soft serve!
Also, no TCH for me this year; moving my daughter from one apartment to another in Philly that weekend:(

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello ssevy, I bought another gauge bracket (cheap from breakers) and made a piece to fill in the middle between the speedo and tach. that gave me enough room to weld a bracket to hold the gauge and still be over the plastic idiot light cover. I am pretty sure I posted pics. under what I did to my classic t-3 today thread but if you can't find them send me a pm and I will send them to you. Having the temp. gauge takes a little more worry out of long rides as you can monitor engine temp.as you go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts