Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Believe it or not, NGK doesn't bring these into South Africa. Luckily I'm heading State side on Friday and am planning to pick some up while I'm there.
Could anyone pls tell me the exact NGK part number for the ones we need to fit the 865 Speedmaster/America?
Also what has your exprience been with these? Is there anything better out there?

Cheers from a sunny and balmy South Africa, 31degC and riding is awesome... :razz:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I would guess that it doesn't make a difference as far as bike model goes (somebody please chime in if I'm wrong), but the part number is DPR8EIX-9 for the NGK iridium plugs. They are about $6 US each and they seem to work just fine (solved my starting hesitation problem I had). I've been using them for almost 2-years now.

Shorty

[ This message was edited by: Shorty on 2007-01-31 12:06 ]

·
Registered
168 Posts
I bought my bike used and always wondered what that NGK thing was.. I've even been asked by people. It's a spark plug, huh? Why does it still take me 13 tries to start my bike - yesterday (not an exaggeration)

GO ahead and make fun of me.... I deserve it.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
On 2007-01-31 15:23, Drift wrote:
I bought my bike used and always wondered what that NGK thing was.. I've even been asked by people. It's a spark plug, huh? Why does it still take me 13 tries to start my bike - yesterday (not an exaggeration)

Something is wrong then. Your jetting must be out of whack. Try some 42 pilots, or make sure you're not opening the throttle while it's on choke.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm not opening the throttle at all - Full choke and it takes at least 7 tries since the weather got cold. This isn't Texas, it's in the 30s now but this problem started when it was in the 40s and 50s.

What are 42 pilots? This is all new to me.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think we've had at least some of this discussion a while bac. I will say that my engineer buddy from Champion says that the only real difference between iridiums and standards is in longevity. That's a big deal with some autos, as they can require superhuman efforts to replace plugs; but for bikes, I'd save my money.
Bob

·
Registered
168 Posts
The bike is not stock - i'm looking at the original receipt right now - it has A/M Tri Mufflers. I'm assuming (and was told) that these are the off road pipes or TORS that everyone is always talking about - am I correct?

·
Registered
487 Posts
For what it's worth:currently I'm testing side gapped plugs:go to the main menu, then wiki site,category wiki,list of all categories,cat.motorcycle,cat.bonneville,triumph twins mods,engine and drive,bang ,and finally sparkplug side gapping instructions.Looks logical,less expensive and easy to do. Wonder how long the plugs will last... :???:
Grtz, Thieu

·
Registered
255 Posts
I sidegapped my plugs shortly after Dazco turned me on to it through this forum. I believe (using the admittedly error prone butt dyno) that it pulls somewhat harder than it used to. I also sidegapped my son's super pocket bike (110cc Honda 4 stroke clone) and it definately improved starting AND smoothness.
I even sidegapped my lawnmower. Now my grass refuses to grow due to fear of the lawnmower.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
The thing i've learned about side gapping is that they do wear fast as others said. I always took that as meaning they wear out fast and them must be replaced. Thats not the case, but what i found is that they don't wear out, but what wear there is widens the gap pretty quick. So you have to gap them probably every 1000 miles (just a guess) or they start to soot up or run badly. They'll still last a long time, but they are now high maintenance. I'm pretty much past being fanatical in wanting more power so i just threw the irridiums back in. A bit less grunt but only noticable when i'm riding a lot and very aware of the power. And at this point i've kinda settled down so i don't mind much. Side gapping does work tho, and better than irridiums, at least for me and many others.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
On 2007-01-31 20:33, MOBRIT wrote:
I think we've had at least some of this discussion a while bac. I will say that my engineer buddy from Champion says that the only real difference between iridiums and standards is in longevity. That's a big deal with some autos, as they can require superhuman efforts to replace plugs; but for bikes, I'd save my money.
Bob
I'm also an engineer and, Bob, your friend is absolutely right. I use the iridiums anyway and change them as often as the standards. They only cost a few bucks more.

On 2007-01-31 15:23, Drift wrote:

You might have an air leak in one of the hoses or caps. Check to make sure everything is plugged in and covered up.

Rich

·
Registered
168 Posts
"Drift, are the carb heaters still attached?"

I don't know what or where the carb heaters are - can you tell me how to check?

"You might have an air leak in one of the hoses or caps. Check to make sure everything is plugged in and covered up."

Once again, can you tell me what and where to check?

Sorry guys. I'm a new rider and I don't really know anything yet....

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I gotta disagree on the irridiums. Maybe it depends on the bike and it's state of tune and whether it's modded. But i did some tests swapping them with regular ones and using a perticular road and after going back and fourth from standard to irridiums there was zero doubt that they do make the bike run a bit stronger. Some may not feel it for any number of reasons, but i assure you it's there. It may or may not seem like much depending on your perticular situation. But for me they make a bigger difference in how i feel about my bike than the actual power increse suggests. What i mean is that after modding the bike about as much as i could w/o getting deeper into it than i wanted, the bike is right on the line as far as what amount of power is minimum to make me feel happy with the accelleration. The iridiums may only be a small benefit, but being right on that line between unhappy and happy with the performance, it puts me over the edge.

On a side note, while what i said about side gapping in my last post is true, i put my side gapped iridiums back in this weekend. I tried them a while back but the standard plugs seemed a bit better when SG's. So i never used them after the test. But it just hit me after i wrote the post above that since i stopped using SG'd standards, why not go to the iridium SG'd since they should not experience the same problem because they don't wear to any degree worth noting. So i'll see how it goes, but so far so good. Ran about 80 miles sunday and the bike ran strong and didn't leave me feeling as tho i need more power in order to be happy. Seemed pretty much the same as SG'd standards. Not enough difference to noticed unless you A/B them, and even then it's very slight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts