41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,308 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Looks like it’s the Hyde seat then Stuart.

Unfortunately it has a split in the side, probably from strapping down in the container on the voyage back from the US.

Today I rolled her outside for some decent pics to send off to VMCC for the dating certificate.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I’ve got all the lights working now, except no indicators at the moment.

Which side of the bike should the tail light wiring run and what’s the routing?
I’ve got it on the RH side (which it seemed to want to go) then over the rear mudguard support and through a grommet to inside the mudguard, then in two clips before plugging to the short loom from the stop/tail cluster.
One of the rear indicator feeds is bundled with the stop tail wiring near the battery and I think it’s the left maybe I should swap the bundle over to the left. The other indicator wire is hanging on its own and could go either way.

·
Super Moderator
9,308 Posts
Hi,
Which side of the bike should the tail light wiring run and what’s the routing?
RH side
in two clips
One of the rear indicator feeds is bundled with the stop tail wiring near the battery and I think it’s the left maybe I should swap the bundle over to the left.
If the "two clips" are metal bendy strips inside one edge of the mudguard, and the rear lamp wiring fits between the mudguard and the bendy strips, that's the side the rear lamp wiring went as standard. If the bendy strips are on the right-hand side of the mudguard but you move the rear lamp wiring to the left-hand side, you'll need to secure the wiring - plastic P-clips on longer screws securing the crankcase vent hose clips?

There is a way of securing/protecting the rear lamp wiring pretty-much up the centre of the rear 'guard.

The rear indicator "feeds" are Green/White for the right indicator, Green/Red for the left.

Not obvious from the '76 parts book are two grommets listed but not illustrated on the "TAIL LAMP AND SUPPORT" pages - 60-4103 "Grommet - flasher wire" and 97-0961 "Grommet - mudguard for wiring". As standard, 97-0961 is for the mudguard holes both an indicator wire and the rear lamp wires pass through, 60-4103 is for the mudguard holes only an original single indicator wire passes through. However, ...

One of the perennial problems with standard Lucas indicators is lack of an actual return ('earth') wire; in theory, the return path is supposed to be from the bulb holder, through the indicator body chrome, along the stem, through other random bike parts and joints exposed to dirt and corrosion. In practice, the theoretical return path is crap. :mad:

You can go to the extent of threading a second wire down the stem and attaching it to the bulb holder but I've done all right with the return wires on ring terminals under the nuts that secure the stems to grabrail (rear) and headlamp brackets (front).

At the rear, that means I've done away with the 60-4103 mudguard grommets and used 97-0961 in all four mudguard holes.

Only problem then was/is threading rear lamp wires through the same grommet as two (supply and return) wires to one indicator. (n)

'Til I was building my T100 (y) - '69 didn't have indicators as standard so the rear lamp wiring ran straight up the middle of the rear 'guard, protected by 82-7826:-

I don't use the standard '73-on 83-4806 "Wiring protector" (secured inside the 'guard to the two bolts that secure the grabrail).

At the lamp end of 82-7826, one hole fits over the standard rear lamp mounting stud and 82-7826 covers the wiring where it passes through the mudguard. At the other end, the dry-frames secure the mudguard in the centre of the frame rail under the seat with two bolts and a clip, the other hole of 82-7826 fits over one of those bolts.

Then a '73-on mudguard needs just one extra hole drilling (just inside the frame rail under the seat) for the rear lamp wiring to pass through, (y) that's covered by that end of 82-7826; I drill the hole the same size as the existing wiring holes and use another 97-0961 grommet.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Thanks Stuart
Very interesting. Note to self, check the right hand page for list of things “not illustrated!

There are spring clips inside both sides of the rear mudguard. I got confused because I found the ones on the right first, (working on bike whilst on side stand) I’m going to move the wiring over to the left which will put the indicator wires on the correct side and will think about “wiring protectors”.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I’ve bought one of these, hopefully it will work with my assortment of rear end parts. The mudguard has a few extra holes in already anyway. If I decide to fit indicators I can run the wires each side and use the springy clips.

·
Super Moderator
9,308 Posts
Hi,
guessing the hole would be the one that no. 11 is pointing to?
When 82-7826 was fitted originally, curiously, for some reason, Triumph didn't make it long enough for the upper/forward rear lamp wiring hole to be under the seat, the wiring actually passes through the 'guard by the lower/rear hole for part 11. :confused:

Otoh, the '73-on rear lamp mounting casting being that much bigger, the 82-7826 fits that little bit further forward, the wiring can pass through the 'guard under the seat. (y)

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
My 82-7826 arrived, a very neat part but it’s not long enough, the upper end where the grommet would be is beneath the frame loop. I shall probably keep it in case I fit a shorter mudguard with the rear lamp mounter higher.
So I moved the loom to the left and used the metal clips under the edge of the mudguard.
Will probably buy the other style wiring protector.

Exhausts are fitted and feel really solid with the DP brackets and the silencers strapped to pillion peg brackets.

I don’t have the 82-8976 exhaust pipe clamps. They obviously don’t do any actual clamping of pipe to head with the push-ins, are they needed for heat sinking?

·
Super Moderator
9,308 Posts
Hi,
My 82-7826 arrived, a very neat part but it’s not long enough, the upper end where the grommet would be is beneath the frame loop.
I'm sorry to read that. :( Have you tried it both ways 'round? It's actually illustrated and listed in the '73 T100 parts book; '73 T100 had the same large rear lamp and ally mounting casting as your bike had originally. I appreciate you've fitted a smaller rear lamp on the '66/'67 ally mounting casting but your post #34 showed it still using the same top mounting on the mudguard? :confused:

Regards,

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hi,

I'm sorry to read that. :( Have you tried it both ways 'round? It's actually illustrated and listed in the '73 T100 parts book; '73 T100 had the same large rear lamp and ally mounting casting as your bike had originally. I appreciate you've fitted a smaller rear lamp on the '66/'67 ally mounting casting but your post #34 showed it still using the same top mounting on the mudguard? :confused:

Regards,
I’ll have another look.
The original lamp housing did seem very low on the mudguard even though the top hole for the stud and wiring hole look original.

·
Super Moderator
9,308 Posts
Hi,
The original lamp housing did seem very low on the mudguard even though the top hole for the stud and wiring hole look original.
'73-'78 OIF are odd like that. The horizontal loop of the grabrail is basically the same as the 'dry frame' one but the slots where it mounts on the top shock bolts are longer, that seems to mean the loop around the 'guard is slightly lower than on a dry-frame, which means the rear lamp is slightly lower on the 'guard too. When my dry-frames are on their centrestands, the rear lamps are tilted slightly upwards, so they're horizontal when the bikes are on both wheels; otoh, many '73-'78 OIF, when they're on both wheels, seems the rear lamp is pointing slightly downwards, making for a 'droopy arse' look. :( Fwiw, among the '79-on changes, the rear grabrails/racks are an inch shorter front-to-back, so they attach further 'up' the rear 'guard, which means the rear lamp also mounts that bit further 'up' the 'guard.

Regards,

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Droopy arse is a good description, with the original rear light unit the number plate would be extending the mudguard by 3 or 4 inches. With this one a slightly smaller than legal one will just about fit.
The slightly downward sloping grab rail definitely spoils the line. IMHO strong horizontal features are important for the Triumph look.
Here’s today’s pics

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Nearly 5 months since last post and today two brown envelopes arrived from DVLA.
One containing a letter to say my application for registration has been accepted, the other with a brand new V5c.
I won’t be riding it for a while though as I’m self isolating before my double hip replacement on Saturday!
Plenty of time to get a number plate made.
Better learn how to walk before trying to kickstart the old girl I think..

41 - 58 of 58 Posts