Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Some progress on the bike.
Now have new tyres/tubes and working brakes. Used an early Yamaha R1 MC for the front and a new MC for the rear.
Spent a while trying to set the points and static timing, eventually decided to remove the points assembly completely to inspect and found a chunk of debris behind it. Once cleaned and re-fitted I found I could now set the timing by the book.

So now to the fuel supply.

The tank appears to have some sort of white coating inside which I assume is a liner. I guess I’ll try it and see if I have leaks or if the ethanol in the fuel starts to soften it.

I bought myself a pair of these taps but they didn’t come with spigots and I’m unsure what to buy. I’ve ordered the Dowty and plain washers for the taps to tank and I have a metal double “banjo” on the carb so just need the spigots for the taps and some tube.

There’s an assembly pic below from the web which shows angled spigots (I would think straight would work better?) and the pipes look too short anyway.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I did a search for Fuel Pipe on Andover Norton and found the parts I need so ordered them.
Might try and start it with a temporary tank tomorrow.
The bike came with some custom big bore pipes which run underneath the engine very close to the oil pipes, I’ll push these on for the test start but I need something else with at least an attempt at silencing and I’d like to fit a centre stand to make it easier for me to start.

·
Super Moderator
9,308 Posts
Hi,
an assembly pic below from the web
... and the pipes are clear and unreinforced; much of the clear pipe around isn't effinol-resistant. :(

ordered the Dowty and plain washers for the taps
For clarity, if you ordered by part number (70-7351), you should get Stat-O-Seals:-

... they should be the same 7/8" OD as the 83-0002 plain steel washers, their central seal is thicker than the surrounding metal retainer so, when the tap locknut is tightened, not only does it deform the seal into the tap thread, the Stat-O-Seal's metal retainer shouldn't ever touch/scratch the tank paint. (y)

Otoh, real Dowtys:-

... have a metal retainer that's not only a smaller OD for the ID, it's pretty-much the same thickness as the seal, the seal can't deform enough to seal on the tap thread, the retainer can scrape on the tank. (n)

bike came with
pipes which run underneath the engine very close to the oil pipes,
like to fit a centre stand
Pending a photo.(?), TT pipes?

attempt at silencing
If they are TT pipes, I believe there are mutes to fit in the ends? However, they don't help you fit a centrestand ... :cool:

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Went to the post office to get a V55/5 form so I can apply for registration. The post office don’t keep that form so I have to get one from DVLA. According to the website the department that deals with sending out forms is closed at the moment
I’ve read the online instructions on how to fill out the form and what to send with it and it seems really complicated! Maybe it’s ok to print the form? It doesn’t say.

In the progress dept.
My Tricor Andy Oil filter kit arrived so I fitted it with one gasket and poured in a litre of oil, will see in the morning if it’s leaked overnight.

Chrome rear loop and rear lamp and bracket have arrived. The cast alloy part was quite hard to find. I’ve gone for the smaller earlier one and parked the house brick one in the shelf. Ordered the number plate brackets in stainless.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Today I repaired the lever for the dip switch which was snapped off. I used Q-Bond, building up the powder in layers held in place with sellotape and bits of cable tie, then activating it. Then filed it to shape.
Cleaned all the contacts and put it back together. Took a while as I had lost the small spring under the ball bearing and had to plunder one from a spare car switch.
Plugged it into the connectors in the headlamp, horn worked, no headlight.
This turned out to be no output from the toggle switch so I pulled that apart and gave it a good clean, filed the contacts and gave it a squirt of De-Oxit.
So I now have lights at the front, need to make the section of loom from middle of bike back to the rear light unit and add a red wire to the bulb holder.

Now I just need the “triangular knob”

Inside the lighting toggle switch, getting those little springs back on was fun.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts