Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have read and written in a few times regarding this M4 pipe, but I am having a hard time finding what I am after again as it is spread over a few entries.

I just installed my M4 pipe. Still debating on the Mad Doctor kit...heard its junk...might try and fabricate something myself...

QUESTIONS:

ONE:
I read in an entry that people were hearing a whislting sound from the pipe. I am starting to hear that as well. It seems to be coming from where the connector pipe that came with the pipe meets the can itself. Not loud but I can hear it. I thought about welding the two pipes together but thought I read that someone had a solution. Any thoughts on this.

TWO:
I installed the pipe and havent re-mapped it. I seea bit of black smoke once and a while. Will I hurt the bike without a re-map?

THREE:
Does anyone recommend a particulr map file? It would make sense to get a map file from a more Moto GP style pipe, not the two huge stock cans.
Where do you get them? How much?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Mine works well with the low Arrow tune but it runs a little rich. I didn't run the pipe for very long without the ECU remap but from what I remember, it did not give me any problems during the ride to the dealer. I even read someone saying that the stock tune dynoed better (a few HP more) that with the low Arrow tune and ran less rich. Just don't get high mount TORS or Arrow tune. Mine had it for a short time and it ran like crap.

·
Registered
369 Posts
And as far as whistling..... Mine dosn't do that but it does make a sound like something is rattling loose or slapping around inside. It's not anoyingly obvious but it's there. M4 said that even if I ran it over to their shop (I live close enough) they would charge me to disassemble it and inspect it. The pipe sounds great but I probably won't buy one of their products again.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm running the Arrow 3 into 1 tune with that same pipe, and it runs great.
Mine, however, ran like CRAP before remapping. It was smoking, popping, and didn't want to stay at any constant RPM.
I got the map from a shop for $45. Pretty good deal in my opinion.

As far as the whistling noise, mine does it, but only at very low RPM, when returning to idle or bliping the throttle.
To me it just sounds like slightly amplified "Triple Whistle".

I ordered a fender kit from British Customs (the one with an integrated taillight)... If it ever gets here, I'll let you know how it works out

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THanks Boogievan

Yea thats what I am getting...rough idle, popping, and seems to be running rich...little black smoke...

So did you just go to a dealer or bike shop and say that you wanted the Arrow 3 n1 map file....then they just remapped it for you....

What fender kit did you purchase?
Would love to see some pics when you get that installed.

Love the M4 pipe...I dont know if its me but seems like the bike increased in snappines...maybe partially the rediced weight the pie itself....Very happy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yep, just called the dealership ahead of time, brought the bike in and they downloaded the map. I think I was there for about half an hour.
The owner told me that I have to run 92 octane fuel (Which I was doing anyway), due to timing changes from the map. Runs like a champ now! Definitely picked up some power too.

The fender kit is just a bracket and a Clear Alternatives taillight.
I already had the tail apart to figure out how to get rid of that triangle shaped bit that sticks out from under the taillight. The bracket looks like it'll work fine. (I haven't seen one on a bike yet...)

For now, though, all I can do is wait impatiently for the freakin thing to get here...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just called the shop I bought it from and they told me $45...Think I am going to go have it done on Saturday.
THanks for the info

1 - 8 of 8 Posts