Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just picked my first TB. 01 model with 6000k's
Was going to get the Speedmaster but after many a long hour on these pages and others.Started the search for TBS or TB then this one just fell in my lap.
Couple of questions though.
What exhaust set up do you recommend? Don't want too loud but still want to be heard coming and going.
Any advice appreciated.

Thanks to all for valuable advice already here

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
There are a lot of options - here are just a few:

I have the Triumph off-roads (TOR's) which are factory items identical to stock but with a EPA stamp saying for "for off-road use only." Nice loud brraatt but not too offensive - expensive as a OEM part, but you could watch ebay. My mate has aftermarket pipes which look like a slimmer version of the Triumph items which are quite fat. They have a deep drone which is pretty nice - they might be Togas but I don't know for sure. I believe the D&D's are well loud, based on posts here. Mecatwin do a 3 into 3 which I would bet sounds like the dog bollox but they're incredibly spendy at about 1200 euro.

If you want a 3 into 1, you might check Thunderbike over there in Sheep Lover Central :cool:

Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Welcome.

I punched out my stock pipes with 1" holes and am happy with the noise level. There are a couple threads on doing this - search drilled baffles.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I was running stock exhaust with 7/8" holes drilled through the baffles. It was alot better than stock.

I purchased the Predator Exhaust from British Customs and couldn't be happier. My bike now sounds like it should.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies folks.
Hadnt considered 3 into 1 at this stage so i will ask the obvious.

3 into 1 - vs - 3 into 2

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Balanced pipes mean more power but separate pipes sound nicer (purely IMHO of course).

Usually 3 into 2 really means a 1 into 1 and a 2 into 1 - which gives you one separate pipe and two balanced pipes, and symmetrical looks i.e. the stock layout. There are probably 3 into 1 into 2 systems and maybe even a centre header which splits into 2 pipes which would give you a balanced 3 into 2 out there

3 into 1 should be lighter, more powerful, and assymmetric looks.

Yer pays yer money and takes yer choice.

[ This message was edited by: parrycm on 2006-11-28 21:27 ]

·
Registered
844 Posts
Two members have done some very different things. Bellacrane ((or aine?) has used older (Steamer) Tiger headers becuase they have a balance pipe and fit the biek, though the exit angle may be different. Tbstunta used genreic aftermarket mufflers to satisfaction (and a lot less bread). If you change the headers, you will need to verify hwo the center stand will/wont work. Saddle bags and hittin the mufflers can be an issue as well. The Thunderbikes (Kiwi land) emphasize ground clearance and may require removal to change the oil. Staintunes are Aussie, so may be a better buy. Most don't require any jetting changes, presuming your ibke is good already.

This will only feed the 'farkle factor' though. Next will come the airbox mod, etc.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Welcome aboard. I drilled mine 7/8" and couldn't be happier with the sound.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Oy! what have we here then??
another noob?
Right! It's time fellas. yes you know what's coming next...
It's time to take the "Hinckley Classics Oath"
jonesywa: stand by your computer with your hand over your heart...
now repeat after me.

"I promise to be different"

"I promise to be unique!"

" I promise not to repeat things other people say"...

Welcome to the club.
:wink:

·
Registered
572 Posts
I had a set of D&D's on my TBS and they are very loud but had an incredible sound, almost like a 60's GP bike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the Staintunes and am pleased with the quality and sound.Didn't have to touch the carbies, which was a bonus.
They are upswept, so they can be a problem if you have panniers fitted.I have the Triumph fabric panniers, and they touch the muffler.Don't know how much the TOR's cost.These ones were $1095 Aussie $$$.Fitting was a piece of cake.

funderbird

·
Registered
37 Posts
I forgot to mention the louder popping on deceleration with the Staintunes.Personally, I don't mind it, but it may be something that you may want to consider.

funderbird

1 - 15 of 15 Posts