Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just thought I would get off on the right foot and introduce myself to the forum. I have just put a deposit on a 2006 Blue Sprint that I will be taking delivery of in a few weeks.
My previous bikes have been a SV1000S, K6 GSXR1000 and an Aprilia SXV450, I have always admired the sprints and have decided I need a bike that I can multi task, go touring with my wife in comfort one day and then have a capable bike that can hold its head in the twisties or even the odd track day.
I havent ridden a sprint yet, but have read a lot of reviews and posts on this site and I cant wait to throw a leg over my new bike when it comes.
It is fitted with heaps of extras including the tor muffler, db screen, oggies, skidmarx hugger, fender eliminator etc. I do intend to get the standard suspension revalved and heavier springs etc for my weight. (as recommend by my mechanic and from what I have already read on this site).
I have never ridden a sprint or a tripple, I know the sprint will be no gsxr but how would it compare in the engine and power characteristics to the SV1000s?
Thanks in advance for any comments.
Cheers Gravyst

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Hi & welcome

Hi Gravyst,
thank you for joining the forum and also for your very good introduction.:)

Well done, we could do with a bit more of that around here sometimes!:D

I have ridden Sv1000's and also VTR 1000's and can tell you that the torque and power you now have are more than comparable.

What you will notice is that the engine and fuelling is smoother than the SV1000 and both power and torque more linear and there will be more of both (a little).

My last bike of many was a GSX R600, I can assure you you can ride very hard on a properly set up Sprint.

Enjoy the forum.

Oh and please read our forum stickies it all helps.

DaveM:)

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
You are more than welcome gravyst.:)

The Sprint engine characteristics are very smooth power delivery, it will spin like a four but pulls like a Vee twin but has engine braking a lot more than a four without the rear wheel lock type engine breaking of a vee twin.

Cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
welcome to the forum and the mysteries of the Triumph 1050 triple. A gem of an engine. All the advantages of a twin and a 4 and none of the disadvantages :D

It won't have the balls out power of a GSXR1000, but is similar in performance to the VTR and SV and can be ridden as hard solo (or duo if you're DaveM <g>) and is as you surmise, great for 2 up touring.

The 1050 has linear torque from 3000-10000RPM so is a joy to twist the throttle on, no kick in the pants and 6/8K or 10K like the Jap superbikes, but just very progressive and power is "there" for that whole rev range.

Where in Oz are you?

Russ

·
Registered
764 Posts
Welcome to the forum GravyST

Nice colour and accessories!

You will find the Sprint motor somewhere between the SV and GSXR in performance. I went from a TL to an FZ1 before the Sprint. Surprisingly it is a lot smoother than you might expect. I does have a whirring sound from the balance shaft that is similar to SV cam gears. Good thing you have got the TOR pipe to drown it out.

If you are around the 100kg mark like me you should be looking at fitting 1.0kg/mm fork springs and a 17-18 kg/mm spring for the rear. The 18kg/mm option is probably preferable for two up use.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for the warm welcome and all of the advice.
I am from sunny Geelong, and my bike is from Perth.
Hopefully I will have it in a few weeks.

I was wondering what performance difference the TOR exhaust and map make over the standard system.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
My wife is from Geeelong!! The TOR makes a few extra ponies but the sound is much improved. There are a few available - The Triuph TOR, D&D, Tridents and Ixil exhaust and they all sound a little different. You will need to change the map.

Do a search here and on You Tube to compare the ins and outs. It is all a personal decision when you shell out big bucks for a emotional experience. :)

·
Registered
764 Posts
I was wondering what performance difference the TOR exhaust and map make over the standard system.
Thanks in advance.
A little extra noise and slightly more go. Somewhere around the 5 hp through most of the rev range.The TOR tune smooths out most of the emissions induced bumps in the torque curve to give you a flat torque curve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts