Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

For various reasons I need to replace my stock T100 handlebars with something that puts my riding position a little forward and bent over. I had narrowed my choice down to the NewBonneville Low Cafe Bars. However, when I went to order them today I noticed the Superbar. The measurements that are important to me, rise & pullback, are similar:

Low Cafe Bar measurements:
rise: 2.5”
pullback: 5”
center: 4.75”
width: 32.5”

Superbars measurments:
Rise: 2"
Pullback: 5"
Center: 6.5"
Width: 29"

Searching through the archives I can't find anything really comparing the two. I did find one post that mentioned that on the Superbars the throttle tube will have an over hang of just under an inch, the solution is to live with it or trim the throttle tube. One other person thought the Superbars were too wide. Well on the face of it the Low Cafe bars are wider, though another poster said they cut them down to match the stock handle bar width at 28.5". I guess with the center width smaller on the Cafe Low bars and the overall bar being wider, that would allow you to trim some off the bar without worrying about mounting your controls.

Does anyone have any experience with the two, either personal or interested observer. I have to say I do like the price of the Superbars, especially after shipping costs and converting U.S. $ to Canadian. I also want as little buyers remorse as possible. As usual, all comments and help are appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I do not have experience with either. I can tell you that different brands use different measuring points. So your 5" pullback may be different, and remember that if you cut them your pull back is going to change. I changed bars 3 times (feel lucky, others have tried more and still are looking) before finding the ones I liked. Do not remember the models or brands but 2 of them had similar pull back and rise measurements on paper and where actually very different. Hope this help.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... I can tell you that different brands use different measuring points. So your 5" pullback may be different, and remember that if you cut them your pull back is going to change...
Good points to consider. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I've been using NB Superbars since 2005. I didn't like the height of the stockers, so I tried NB Superbars. Had them on 2 different T100's.
I also wanted a lower bar to get my head and torso lower into the wind. The Superbars do this very well for me.

I'm 5'9" just for a point of reference. Shock length and seat heights are all stock.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been using NB Superbars since 2005. I didn't like the height of the stockers, so I tried NB Superbars. Had them on 2 different T100's.
I also wanted a lower bar to get my head and torso lower into the wind. The Superbars do this very well for me.

I'm 5'9" just for a point of reference. Shock length and seat heights are all stock.
Hi Wenzel, did you have problems with re-attaching the throttle like I read in a post?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I didn't. All I did was spray the handle bars with Windex and slid the throttle on. The Windex will act as a lube and then dry and act like a glue to keep your throttle on the bars.
I should have been clearer from the start. Here is the link, https://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-talk/532513-my-2013-t100-black-mod-journey-and-product-reviews.html and this is what was said, "...getting your throttle tube to fit and function properly on the Superbar is an entirely different story. I have tried every conceivable angle and it simply will not work. Either you have a little under an inch of overhang or the throttle sticks. I have now read that some people put up with the overhang, or even cut down their throttle tubes. I think it’s silly to have to do that."

Did you encounter this?

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I should have been clearer from the start. Here is the link, https://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-talk/532513-my-2013-t100-black-mod-journey-and-product-reviews.html and this is what was said, "...getting your throttle tube to fit and function properly on the Superbar is an entirely different story. I have tried every conceivable angle and it simply will not work. Either you have a little under an inch of overhang or the throttle sticks. I have now read that some people put up with the overhang, or even cut down their throttle tubes. I think it’s silly to have to do that."

Did you encounter this?

Not that I remember.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Renthal low, or ultralow bar. Renthal's website has all the measurements to compare.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just finished reading another thread where it was mentioned that people are getting bad for asking questions and then never replying with what they did so that the community has a little feedback.

In the end I went with the Low Cafe Bars. Either bar would have taken the pressure off of my tail bone, but the "few" threads I read of some other posters having a little problem with refitting the throttle on the Super Bars pushed me towards the Low Cafe Bars. I never did cut off 1" from either side, I might move the controls in an inch next season and see if I like it.

What I have found is that being older and never particularly flexible, my hip joints hurt after awhile. So now I'm saving over the winter to get a set of Norman Hyde rear sets. I think their style fits nicely with the retro look of the Bonnie.

Reactions: CorithMalin
1 - 10 of 10 Posts