Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an '02 Thunderbird and was trying to changing the spark plugs. After overcoming the issue of getting them out I replaced them with new iridium plugs. Once they were in and the leads connected I tried to start the bike but it wouldn't start. I decided to put the old plugs back in and again when trying to start it although it tried a bit harder it still didn't start and gave a couple of little backfires. I imagine the problem is due to either the plugs or the leads but not sure what to do. If anyone has any suggestions then that would be great. Could someone also confirm which order the leads go in please.

Thanks

Alan

·
Registered
101 Posts
I wonder if you could have flooded the engine

try shutting off the fuel line, and crank the engine, or let is sit over night and give it another shot.

you could always shoot some starter fluid in the air intake, see if that gets it started

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I hate to sound condescending but are you sure you put the wires back on the right plugs?

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
As KD5 says make sure you've got the leads on the correct sequence for the firing order. Also make sure that you have a final push on the lead caps onto the plugs, they should make a slight click for a positive fit ! (no pun).

-----------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the responses. Think I must of flooded the engine as it is starting well now.

Thanks again

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. Think I must of flooded the engine as it is starting well now.

Thanks again
Not to sound condescending myself, but....

The 3 cylinder carburated Tbirds are prone to flooding IF you do NOT use the proper starting technique. I have seen too many times, when I swap rides with somebody, the first thing they do is twist the throttle a few times and then try to start the TBS. Forget it. If it is cold, open the choke, if it is warm, DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE, just hit the starter button.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts