Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m new to triumph and bought myself a 955i during winter as I’d heard they were a really grippy bike. Went out on it for the first time last week and have done about 400 miles. I don’t know if I need to alter the suspension but it feels really hard ( there’s not a lot of dip under braking) and the back end is sliding a lot on low speed bends and corners. The tyres are Pirelli’s and I have 32 and 42 psi in the front and rear. The tyres are quite new looking. I really don’t feel confident on it at all. Any help on the suspension would be good as like I said I’m new to it and I don’t know if it’s been adjusted hard or wether it is normal. The next step would be to fit tyres I know but don’t want to do this if it’s just a suspension adjustment I need.

·
Registered
494 Posts
First of all let us know which 955i you bought.

The tyres might be new looking but they could've been on for a while. Check the manufacturing date, it's an ovalised 4 digit number embossed in the sidewall. Have attached an example picture to help you identify what you should be looking for.

Tyre Date.jpg

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Further to what Terry said....if the tyres are 5 years or older....definitely replace them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah just checked they’re 2013. Thanks for the heads up. By the way it’s a 2003 speed triple. Unfaired.

·
Registered
864 Posts
As already suggested definitely try new tyres first if they are 7 years old, any brand new half decent sports touring tyre will feel a lot better, especially at this time of year.
I would also check any adjustments on your suspension against the owner's manual if you have one, set it to the normal road setting or even comfort setting if there is one and see if that feels any better.
If it still feels too hard then have a look at setting the suspension sag, or at least checking it, your weight might be a lot different than the previous owner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am getting tyres fitted today. Also I took an after market steering damper off that was not smooth at all when I operated it by hand. That helped massively but the tyres should be the deciding factor. Thanks all. It was a very scary, 40 mile, rainy, rush hour, ride home from work this morning. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have had 7 speed triples....and I have never felt that any one of them would have benefited from a steering damper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I noticed it when I bought it. The guy selling said it helped him when accelerating. Tried it anyway and never gave it a second thought. I thought new bike, completely different riding position, give it a chance. After several days of feeling like I was going to fall off on every corner, turn, junction and bend, I began to have a little feeling things weren't quite right. No literally I was scared stiff. Ive ridden lots of bikes as I an a bloodbikes, and never felt this before. I got home on Wednesday morning after heavy rain and was absolutely petrified of the thing. If you've ever ridden a bike where the head bearings are heavily worn and it is hard to turn at low speeds, multiply that feeling by about 10 and you'd be somewhere near.. Anyway I took the damper off and when riding it to the garage for the new tyres it was like a different bike. Checked the damper on the way home and it was sticking at every part of the piston stroke. Lesson learned.
I also removed that f** annoying immobiliser. If you could just disable the auto on function it would be awesome.
but that's off thread so no more said.

·
Registered
222 Posts
problem is suspension more than the tyres. forks have a really soft spring which is alos progressive, so moves way more than it should under initial braking. solution is to replace it with a linear one. i have k-tech 8.5N/mm. am 75kgs. easy job to replace them. fork oil will also be knackered. repalce with motul 10w. will feel a million miles apart. shock is not great relative ot new technology. have it serviced as oil will be dead and there will be no nitrogen left. even with the same tyres the bike will ride well (you'll have to set the suspension up as well).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. A few things I would recommend:
Have the shock serviced (new oil, seals, etc.)
Replace fork oil and seals
Make sure the bike is set up for your weight and riding style.
Check out Dave Moss Tuning Homepage - Dave Moss Tuning I'd recommend paying for his subscription, even for just a month. The information he shares is really invaluable and can teach YOU how to assess and adjust your suspension.

Also, remove the shock linkage and replace the grease in there.
Swingarm pivot too. (there's 24 roller bearings in each in case you're the kind of person who counts such things.
On both my 2013 AND my 8K mile 2016, the grease had hardened and looked like this:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts