Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Long time Harley guy here, so I'm not familiar with what makes these things go/handle better. I'm picking up a Thruxton Ace in a couple weeks.

I'm looking to get some more oomph, and handling. From what I've researched, it looks like airbox removal and an exhaust are in order.

Anything else I should look to do right away? Shocks? Something like an Arrow 2-2 already comes with a tuner kit correct?

I'm used to throwing on a set of pipes on my Harley and buying a tuner kit like a Power Commander. I guess that doesn't apply to these things?

Appreciate any info!

Con

·
Registered
87 Posts
Suspension.....rear shock and front spring upgrades to handle YOUR weight. Upgrade brake pads and lines. Cut weight where you can. Don't worry about getting more power yet. Don't know which HD models you are used to riding, but none of them are what I would call extremely powerful right off the showroom floor. Thruxton has 66 hp, but is also much lighter than any of the Harley models, so power to weight ratio is what you want to consider when comparing the Thruxton to your past Harley's. Once you get the bike to where it will handle and stop in such a way that it will be good with more power, then go after the power.

Welcome....you've picked a great bike!

·
Registered
45 Posts
For me, it was the exhaust (arrow 2+2) but I like the D&D as well.
Not so much a performance based decision (if I'm to be honest it was probably more for my ego :eek: ) but I do love the sound of a barking parallel twin!
I've made a few cosmetic changes to my 2013 Thrux so far...DCC speed bars, low pro headlight ears and FEK with a BC regulator bracket & flat gauge cluster (head light cowl removed) and next is air box mods, tyres then suspension.
I've been away from bikes for awhile (had the Triumph for about 6months and my last one was a 68 bonnie) so the apparent lacking performance characteristics of the Thruxton go largely unnoticed by me........I'm having to much fun to care anyway :D

The Ace is a great looking bike so good luck with your decisions.

Cheers,
KiwiThrux

·
Registered
113 Posts
Congrats on your purchase, I really like the Ace a lot. Those black rims alone are worth the purchase!

I would say take your time and do things in small batches, but if you're anything like me, you love the sight of multiple UPS boxes waiting for you when you get home from work. Big bonus if they arrive on a Friday, just in time for a Saturday morning mod session, followed by a ride of course.

As far as what the Thruxton needs immediately, my very first two mods were frame sliders and a steering damper. I would recommend looking into a damper sooner than later, although I wouldn't consider the bike unsafe without it. I'd also recommend getting the air injection removal kit immediately too. I got it later on, wish I'd gotten it sooner.

The next mods I did were exhaust (BC predators with Arrow 2+2 reflash/map), K&N drop in, Bellmouth and Progressive Front Springs and Hagon rear shocks. Night and day difference; the bike no longer sounded like a sewing machine and just that little bit of work seriously "woke up" the bike.

After that, for me its been mostly cosmetic mods; I've powdercoated (or removed) almost all of the chrome, added clubman bars, BC risers, a Maund FEK, signals, joker bar end mirrors, flip up gas cap, oberon pegs, D9 lay flat bracket (Seth rules!) and countless other odds and ends. Caution, modding these bikes gets extremely addictive!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
TuneECU is a free program that you can write fuel maps on, a Power Commander isn't necessary. Air box removal isn't really needed ether, a TTP Breathe bell mouth, better air filter and removing the restrictor plate from the air box yields almost the same gain as a straight removal.
A 17t front sprocket makes it feel more peppy too.

·
Registered
206 Posts
First thing I do with a new bike is throw away the stock brake pads and put some EBC HH front, organic rear. These pigs need all the help they can get to stop!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a million for the feedback all. I know the mod bug well haha. I currently have a Forty-Eight that I've made in a ratrod. Spent a lot on it, and plan to spend a lot on the Ace.

Shock wise I may wait a bit as I'm in "diet phase" so to say. I'm a bit of a big lad, so if I should match them to my weight, I should probably wait!

·
Registered
509 Posts
suspension and brakes first-racetech gold valves and springs on the front,hagons,gazi,yss, ohlins etc. on the rear.pretech and beringer make 6-pot calipers for the front brake and ebc,braking ,and beringer make rotors.beringer also makes a nice master cylinder to work with the bigger calipers..a fork brace and steering damper help also.i did a arrow 2-1,pods,813-s cams,head work and a power commander v with good results,but i hear good things about the ttp tunes.i think the bike looks pretty good stock so cosmetics would be the last things on the list.get the shocks for your weight and re-spring them down the road-i don't think you will need to re-spring for about 30 lbs. or so.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to bump this up again guys.

Any other recommendations on airbox removal other than BC? Where I am seems there's a crazy shortage and LONG wait times. Are they all essentially the same?

Also, what about an air injection kit? Good to add? Needed? Dealer is trying to convince me!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
If it's performance your after, removing the baffle is almost as good as an ARK, Pieman's flow testing shows a negligible difference between the 2, I like the AI block off myself. If you just have to have an ARK, TPUSA has them.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would not spend the money on the airbox removal if you are looking for best performance vs looks. I am currently talking to TTP (Twin Triumph Power) and discussing some mods I am currently working on. Their recommendation to me was to keep the airbox, remove the baffle, add the Breathe and go fast. They have dyno charts that show a serious lack of torque on the EFI bikes below 6500rpm with the AB removed vs the above. I will be running the BC 2-1. Frankly, if I were you, I'd get the bike, break it in (assuming it is new) then worry about mods. Get to know the bike (completely different animal than any Harley) and go from there. Define what you like, and don't like. Plenty of guys that do suspension mods, plenty that don't.

One thing to do for sure though, is ditch the AI right off the bat. That system is easy to remove and makes a good difference heat wise and throttle feel wise.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm going to be odd man out and advise you leave it alone for awhile. At least until you yourself decide what mods you want. I bought a 2014 Thruxton and the only thing I couldn't live with was the tail light and turn signals. I changed them, they look nice, but don't have the quality of the originals (and that's saying something!). In fact I've been disappointed with the quality of most aftermarket items for these bikes with Maund and D9 being the exception. I was going to remove the AI and bought the parts, but 6k later haven't fit them. It runs too good as is, and years of screwing around with bikes has taught me to leave things alone if all is well. I've stayed with cosmetic changes only. No matter what you do, and how much you spend, the return will be minimal performance wise, and might very well be the reverse. Spend some time reading these threads and see the can of worms some have opened. We all like to mod our bikes, no matter what brand it is, but these Triumphs pretty much look and run well out of the box. We didn't buy them because they were fast or light, and they never will be, but they sure are fun and plenty fast enough for the street. As is, my Thruxton, with stock tires and shocks, will get me through my favorite twisty roads about as fast as I dare to go on my Ducati.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Regardless of an eventual air injector removal, I'd disable it right off the bat. This can be done with something stuck into the hose from the airbox. Just pop it out, shove a wire nut or marble up the hose, then shove back into the box. You can remove the entire system later. There are numerous threads as to the benefits, but the most obvious is the slowing of blueing of the pipes. It also helps with decel popping, particularly with aftermarket exhaust.

As others mentioned, no need for Power Commander. You can play with the tunes or a simple remap from dealer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the info all. I just picked her up today. Man what a fun bike to ride! I'm a fairly big bloke (about 270 lbs) yet the bike still fits me quite well.

I've gone with a set of Staintunes to start. I'm waiting for a BC airbox removal kit to come in. It's on backorder. Along with an AI removal, then fender eliminator. All will be done on my first service.

Loving this bike! Pics to come soon.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Thanks for all the info all. I just picked her up today. Man what a fun bike to ride! I'm a fairly big bloke (about 270 lbs) yet the bike still fits me quite well.

I've gone with a set of Staintunes to start. I'm waiting for a BC airbox removal kit to come in. It's on backorder. Along with an AI removal, then fender eliminator. All will be done on my first service.

Keep all the old bits, just in case you ever want to sell it, as its a ltd edition right?
Biggsy

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So quick one. This is my first Triumph, but is it normal to have some oil leaking out of the jugs? Right at the bottom, every time I ride, I end up with a few droplets of oil. I can't tell where it's coming from!

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
TuneECU is a free program that you can write fuel maps on, a Power Commander isn't necessary. Air box removal isn't really needed ether, a TTP Breathe bell mouth, better air filter and removing the restrictor plate from the air box yields almost the same gain as a straight removal.
A 17t front sprocket makes it feel more peppy too.
I can't speak for the front sprocket change but I agree with the rest.

Unless you want to remove the side covers and have that area open cancel the order for the airbox removal kit. As others have said just opening up the airbox by removing the baffle and replacing the intake(3 bolts) does almost as well. With that if you want a tune the TTP ones are a pretty good value and will give the bike more pep.

I would remove or disable the secondary ai. I say that because I did it very early and was really happy with the change.

Past that enjoy the bike and figure out how you want things done. I'm a heavy guy myself and going to a nice set of progressive springs in the front and their rear suspension really helped on my bonneville. You have some good options in that area.

I wore out my brakes before replacing them although I did put the ebc pad in the rear and the floating rotor and pad in the front. I only have a few hundred miles on them but so far I'm happy. I also ended up with the arrow 2-2 exhaust which I love but you have a bunch of options if you decide to swap yours down the road.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
So quick one. This is my first Triumph, but is it normal to have some oil leaking out of the jugs? Right at the bottom, every time I ride, I end up with a few droplets of oil. I can't tell where it's coming from!
All jokes aside about British bikes marking their spots no it shouldn't be. Let the dealer find it and fix it.

I will say on my 2014 bonneville I did notice a bunch of stuff looser than it should have been. Just went around and tightened all of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts