Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to some of the more experienced forum members I can a) make this post and b) already know some of the remedies that I now HAVE to address!

I am no riding deity, and although I have been fortunate to have owned a nice Ducati before, this forum gave me a perspective which meant on a ride back from a work meeting today (which I was given duff homeward directions from), I had the chance to reflect and ponder a view of life's riding mysteries according to me:

Namely (or viz, if you are up for it)

My bottom is almost as flat as Pinocchios' according to my wife (and how come saying that to a woman can get you slapped?) Anyway, seeing that it is - the gel seat is great for helping with short inside-leg measurements (mine) but offers no support (typically) after 60 miles or so.

I suffer from 'singing'wrists - after my ride home, when I stopped for fuel, my wrists seemed (when flexed) is this an álien trait' or do any of you suffer likewise?

On tonight's homeward leg, my left knee started to sieze up, I need to accept age comes to us all, even though I am only 42, I suffered in the forces with my left knee (too much physical too young I say).

Having had top advice and read no end of posts on suspension - some hard braking today REALLY woke me up to the fact that I need a) some better oil up front and b) better rear spring, or at least the settings changed by some in the know to help me help myself more. Full braking and that amount of dive from the front is not to be recommended!

After all of the negatives on the stock Bridgestones - I found they behaved impeccably for me and in the wet (drizzle) to, so that is at least a plus.

On the whole, the bike and me keeping gelling more, so as the summer rolls on and the lighter evenings I can get out for longer.

Oh and yes, the lights suck as is.

NOo, once we get the business I am in fully funded (an innovative super insulation material - sorry about the plug) , I can stop worrying about that and make the necessary changes to the bike.

Anyone know of a good suspension outfit, ideally in Essex, UK, or South East UK?

Thanks and happy days:D

· Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave

Exactly the sort of spot on advice I have come to really appreciate!:D

The gloves issue is an interesting one, I am not sure that mine are cutting off my circulation - but worth focussing on that tomorrow (another work trip and bike is the transport!)

As for the lifting weight off my wrists, I do need some stickies for the tank, as I think that would help with the grip issue to enable that to become a more habitual action.

I think I can live with the gel seat, and the padding that is appearing in front of my waist needs to be re-directed!

I could do with a 4 kilo weight loss - your secret is...?!

More time on the bike will also help, but having had access to a pair of scales today :)eek:) I need a) the weight loss programme and quick and b) the suspension doing and like, now!

Thanks again Dave, most appreciated.

· Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also find riding with the balls of my feet on the pegs help keep weight of the arms and wrists. The flexed position of the legs makes it easier to sit up a little removing the weight. Even if you 'flex' once in a while it really helps. Try that and see if it helps you.

MArk (and DaveM!)

Both sets of tips worked a treat today - so many thanks.

Oh and to quik_d - yes the gel seat is slightly lower in profile, so good for those of us with shorter inside leg measurements!

· Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mmagus - I was definitely concentrating on my core today, plus some tank gripping (need a set of tank gripper stick-ons!) and was flexing like a pogo-ing space-man - so I felt fine but looked mighty odd!:D

· Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ratboy
Try a set of QWI gloves. They are specifically designed with pads to eliminate pressure on hand nerves. Best of all is they are cheap and they actually work. http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/
If you still don't have any joy, you can try a set of LSL Superbike High bars. I added these to my 08 Sprint and haven't looked back. I posted a a bunch of stuff on the LSLs a while back. If you do a search on Riptide262 it should come up. If not, send me an e-mail and I can give you the details.

jpm
JPM - many thanks for the tips and link.

That might help a lot, and if not maybe the bars will.

Although my riding style (with the changes I made yesterday) did help.

The extra high-risers may be the final nail though:D

· Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Charlie

I may well incorporate some seating changes (i.e. body-wise) too:D

Thank you again

· Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks Mmagus - have already looked them up.

Just one question, do they work over heated grips?

edit - sorry, just seen that they do!

Hooray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.