Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought i would share my first experience with a rebuild. my dad found this bike in a barn were it has not moved for twenty five years.
motor was siezed. but was in preatty good shape for sitting in a barn for twentyfive years. we have allready stripped it completlyand are waiting for new piston rings. and gasket kit. i didnt get a before pic unfoutunatly but ill start taking pics. i know nothing about bikes.but my dad has restored old indians and harleys. all the original tin and chrome is there. ill get more pics soon

·
Registered
970 Posts
Those are real nice touring bikes, you are very fortunate to have both the front mudguard and rear bathtub. Whilst it is apart, you might want to do a couple of easy frame modifications to greatly improve high speed handling. This involves switching to the later longer swing arm pinion which is held at both ends... if you search you can find the mods I mean. The other is to weld a small gusset in the steering head to stop front forks shaking. Even without, these mods, the bike is a delight to ride at sub 85mph ( and to be honest it wont do much above this). I loved mine even before it got steroids :) back in 1962 when it was new.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you all for the suggestions. ill have to run it by the master in the picture. the only thing is he is very particular on keeping bikes all original

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
finnally got a gasket kit and some piston rings. motor gets put back in next week! gas tank was steam blasted for 8 hours inside and out. that is not the original seat. from an old bonnie. i need to get mine re stuffed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
been awhile since i posted on here .but got the motor back in the frame front tire on just been tring to find a rear mudgaurd. the one i have is all hacked up. we might just make one that works as it will be hidden under the rear fenders gas tank still needs to be welded and painted. and seat repaired. only have some bad cell phone pics sorry will try and post

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Hi sonny,
It's looking good! Go ahead and post the 'bad' cell phone pics, I photographed my entire rebuild with a cell:)

Webby

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks webby. thats my dads shop. he can fabricate almost anything in there. and i would have been totaly lost without his help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well the bike is finnaly done. but having some issues with the monobloc carb. bike kicks over first time but will not idle. plus it lacks power. tried messing with the distributor quite a bit . and even got a new distributor cap.(old one was cracked).i may try moving the needle up a notch.any ideas much appricieted. P9160162.jpg

P9160161.jpg

·
Registered
847 Posts
FWIW one of the most cost-effective things I did with my '59 was to buy a brand new Amal Monobloc. All I had to do was bolt it on, and a whole class of problems just went away. That was about 10 years ago and still no problems.

Good luck with your bike. Great project, fantastic workshop.

Cheers,
Neil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts