Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:I owned an 83 Honda Magna that ran like garbage under 4k RPM. I have a Shadow that struggles to rev very high and has its power down low in the RPMs. This bike has power all over the place. It rides smoother shifting at low RPMs, but I also don't want to be short shifting it. I have never ridden an I4, so when do YOU shift while cruising, while riding aggressively, etc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When I am cruising, I shift around 4500, when I am in a hurry, I let it go until about 8000. When canyon carving or playing in the twistys i leave in the 4-7K range all day, with no problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
:confused:I owned an 83 Honda Magna that ran like garbage under 4k RPM. I have a Shadow that struggles to rev very high and has its power down low in the RPMs. This bike has power all over the place. It rides smoother shifting at low RPMs, but I also don't want to be short shifting it. I have never ridden an I4, so when do YOU shift while cruising, while riding aggressively, etc.
My advice is quite simply, change up when you know you will have sufficient acceleration in the next highest gear (that includes "zero acceleration", i.e. cruising; change down when the motor's slowing and you want more "go". There's little sense in staying at a steady speed over 8000, from a safety viewpoint anything over 3500 will pull when you need to.

The Trophy has more low-down torque than most I4s. The real question is what revs when tootling along. Then my advice is to use sufficient revs so that you can accelerate immediately if you need to.

You won't hurt this motor by working it, it will sustain high rpm for ever, but it will use lots more fuel ridden this way. And it will rumble along quite happily at tick-over in 1st and 2nd if you want (I used to often do this when in heavy traffic, disobeying my own "instant acceleration" rule:p.

To sum up, if it feels right, it is right, with the safety caveat discouraging very low engine speeds.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Your final drive (sprockets) can have quite an effect on the shift speeds. The shorter your gearing the quicker you'll go through the revs and speeds, the taller, the opposite.

I have a 20/39 setup and in town I rarely need to go past 2nd unless I'm hitting all green lights. On the freeways I get to 6th pretty quick and my revs are under 3k. The 1200 is plenty strong and that is not lugging the engine, it is smooth as silk and nearly silent. Even at those revs, a wick of the throttle makes the bike move smartly.

Generally, I stay between 3-4k. Getting onto the freeway I just run it up in 3rd a bit and then snick up to 6th and relax for the ride. This is usually 2 up although my rear seater is pretty light.

The Trophy 1200 is a wonderful engine, smooth and pulls hard right off idle. A lugging enging will shudder and with the Trophy that means heavier loads and under 2k.

In the end, just ride it and you find the sweet spot for revs that fit your riding style. Don't worry, the 1200 has 6 speeds so you can always shift up or down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts