Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems a bunch of people are gathering to buy a tuneboy... so my question is why is tuneboy preferred over powercommander? is it just preference or are there legitimate differences? thanks in advance for answering.

·
Registered
629 Posts
With tuneboy you're doing the setup directly to the ECU and it allows you to do a great deal more than PC. PC is just tricking the bike to believe there's another map uploaded to the ECU, which is not the case. And with PC you need to fiddle with the wiring and add this PC thingie, which is just cumbersome. With Tuneboy you just upload a new tune and be done with it.

Someone else could give a bit more technical answer :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
same here, run PC on my Jap Bikes, and see nice gains.
What kind of gains am I looking at with the Tuneboy, and exhaust...
Mike

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think i want one. But if I got a tuneboy, it would be harder to sell since i think they need "keys" or something.

A powercommander seems good to me because it's simpler, and will be easy to sell.

I see powercommander III going on ebay for like 150$ or so. But not they have a usb version that might be better.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
TuneEdit allows alteration of the ignition timing- this is big on the 1050 engines. It also lets you correct the speedometer which reads 6-7% high, and alter the start up enrichment. All of which a Power Commander does not do.

Also, TuneBoy Diagnostics allows you to check all sensors on the bike and read all of their output when the engine is running. And with the logging software, you can log the fuel curve and all sensors for VERY acurate on the road tuning.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
On 2007-01-13 21:43, roadkill wrote:
I think i want one. But if I got a tuneboy, it would be harder to sell since i think they need "keys" or something.

A powercommander seems good to me because it's simpler, and will be easy to sell.
The "Key" for Tuneboy is an activation code that is unique for each bike's ECU. Once you buy it for your bike it's yours to sell WITH the bike if you want to. It's useless to anybody but the person with that particular bike. Tuneboy itself is a free download, but it won't work unless you buy the "Key" (and the cable) for the bike you are trying to tune.

PowerCommander is definitely not simpler in any way at all. It has to be permanently installed on your bike somewhere, and wires run to your injectors, hither and yon. It's a mess. With Tuneboy nothing is permanently attached to your bike.

Tuneboy allows you to adjust many more things on your bike, including the Speedometer, the ignition timing, turning off the Secondary Air Injection (SAI) and much more. You can read error codes, do diagnostics on the fuel pump, sensors, and even the tach. If you have an 05 or later you can even tweak each fuel injector individually as well.

Also, with Tuneboy if your bike won't run right after downloading a new map, it's simple as pie to reset it to a factory map. With Powercommander you have to remove all the wiring and garbage.

The advantage of PowerCommander is that every numbskull with a dyno knows how to tweak with a PC. BUT! Tuneboy is similar enough that anyone with half a brain can figure it out if they have PowerCommander experience. It also has a Power Commander emulation mode.

One other thing that PowerCommander doesn't have: fantastic customer service. If you have a problem, ANY problem, Wayne with Tuneboy does backflips and front-flips to make sure you get it sorted out.

Yeah, if you buy a PowerCommander and decide you don't like it then you can off load the thing on ebay or something. With Tuneboy you can't really do that. That's the only disadvantage to Tuneboy. In all other ways it's so superior that it's not worth considering a PC.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks to all for your thoughts. i'm sold - i'll put on my silver robot uniform and mime in santa monica once again to save up for one of these so called tuneboy gizmos... man, first the exhaust and now this... when will i get to retire my mr. roboto uniform?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Don't take our word for it. Do a bit of your own research, add in what was posted here, and download the TuneBoy software at www.tuneboy.com.au

Play with it a bit and MAKE SURE it is what you want.

Then make a comfortable, INFORMED decision.

I hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts