Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All!
New to the site and about to pull the trigger on my first bike (only other one is a project 78' CB750 that got maybe 1 month of riding between all the repairs/etc).
I've got my heart set on a Thruxton R but I'm really torn between my options:

1. $9,500 (unnegotiated) - A gorgeous but heavily modded 2016 R with 8000 miles (of all the mods i'm most worried about the exhaust wrap and how difficult it will be to remove)
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1044703275724981

2. $9,000 ( unnegotiated) - A stock 2016 R in red with 3000 miles (there's another that's basically the same with 8000 miles a few blocks away from this guy)

3. $10,500 - A dealer sold brand new 'executive demo' with 25 miles on it and full warranty (they'll even ship it to my door for $299)

It seems to me like the new bike at that price OTD is basically pre-depreciated, but I'm new to buying non-garbage motorcycles and I really don't know if the $1500-2500 premium is worth it for a brand new bike. I'm also newly in NYC and worried that i might actually hate riding here, so if I decide to sell in a year or so what would the expected resale value of each be? (i.e. would i get that 'new bike premium' back)

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think there's a bunch of guys on this site that are trying to sell their bikes as well. I got a 2016 TTR from Philly it only had 300 miles on it and I paid $11 k my problem was that it was the only one in flat black that I found and it had the fairing already installed. I also traded in my 2012 Bonneville on it so I only ended up paying like $7k

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just did a quick search in the classifieds and found this one. Looks like he's located in NY

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://www.triumphrat.net/showthread.php?t=961430&share_tid=961430&share_fid=91405&share_type=t&link_source=app

Thanks! His looks nice but it's just outside of my price range, trying to keep it below $11k which is why i'm trying to pick between that dealer one and those other private sales!

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I was looking at buying the one I bought I was looking at this other one at Adams motorcycles see the link below. He was willing to deal when I was looking at it I think he offered me $9000. It's got only like 2300 mi on it. You got the drive up to get it though. I bought mine the beginning of July so I bet you he's really willing to deal now.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/303603647198507/

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi All!
New to the site and about to pull the trigger on my first bike (only other one is a project 78' CB750 that got maybe 1 month of riding between all the repairs/etc).
I've got my heart set on a Thruxton R but I'm really torn between my options:

1. $9,500 (unnegotiated) - A gorgeous but heavily modded 2016 R with 8000 miles (of all the mods i'm most worried about the exhaust wrap and how difficult it will be to remove)
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1044703275724981

2. $9,000 ( unnegotiated) - A stock 2016 R in red with 3000 miles (there's another that's basically the same with 8000 miles a few blocks away from this guy)

3. $10,500 - A dealer sold brand new 'executive demo' with 25 miles on it and full warranty (they'll even ship it to my door for $299)

It seems to me like the new bike at that price OTD is basically pre-depreciated, but I'm new to buying non-garbage motorcycles and I really don't know if the $1500-2500 premium is worth it for a brand new bike. I'm also newly in NYC and worried that i might actually hate riding here, so if I decide to sell in a year or so what would the expected resale value of each be? (i.e. would i get that 'new bike premium' back)

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!
The dealer price is a steal. Why even consider the others. You get a warranty and a brand new bike that no one has beat on. No brainer.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Welcome to the club! I live in NYC and ride a 2008 Chromium Thrux. Go with the $9500 with the mods and bargain the owner down to $9k. That's the best color for the Thruxton R. The aftermarket seat will be much more comfortable than the stock seat and the tail tidy looks great. The only Triumph dealer in NYC is in Williamsburg (Triumph Brooklyn) but you can get it serviced in Manhattan at Cycle Therapy in Harlem if that's closer to you. Triumph Brooklyn is an overpriced hipster hangout but if you live in Brooklyn it could work for you. I learned to ride in NYC and I have been doing it for 32 years and it's a great place to ride if you are smart and alert for the myriad dangers that lurk. You are also going to drop it since you are a newbie (no snark here and we all have done it) so be mentally and financially prepared for that eventuality. Good luck and PM me if you ever want to ride!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Triumph Brooklyn is an overpriced hipster hangout
You have no idea what you're talking about.

To the OP, I purchased my Thrux R from Triumph Brooklyn and I get it serviced there and I can tell you that it's a great business filled with great people who provide great service from sales to service. I live on Long Island and I travel to them because they're that good. I can't recommend them enough. Sure, you might pay more than if you went to some risky-dink shop who "services" Triumphs, but you're taking a chance with those shops. Why even bother. You're buying a great bike, spend the money to have it serviced properly by well-trained techs.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hey drainyoo! Don't want to get into a flame war over dealers and service. There are good and bad shops for all makes and Triumph dealers come and go. When I bought my Thrux in 2008 it was from Ducati/Triumph NYC. The sales side was shady but the service team was top notch. Now it's just Ducati NYC. The people at Triumph Brooklyn seem really cool and knowledgeable but I'm not willing to pay a lot more for service because it's a cool spot to hang out. Wrenching bikes isn't rocket science and that's why they have shop manuals for every bike made so that anyone with tools can work on them. Peace!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all! @theblackhand I might take you up on that offer. I decided to grab the new one just for the sake of warranty and picked it up this weekend (had to drive it all the way back from new hampshire)! I still can't stop staring at it, it's a beauty!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Congrats on your new bike! That one's a looker for sure. You said this is really your first bike (other than the project). If you have very limited riding experience, I'd suggest taking a motorcycle safety course/riders course. They can really pay off in many ways... from teaching you skills to avoid wrecking it to giving you a discount on your bike insurance. Worth checking out. Usually one classroom day and another on the bike (or better yet - use their bike in case you drop it). Ride safe and enjoy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts