Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

New owner (6 months) to a TB storm, loving that thing! But I too had the coolant leak issue, I think I can fix it pretty easily, but was wondering what type of coolant y'all used/use

If you don't mi d dropping a couple lines I'd be thankful

Cheers

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Most of the coolant leaks are from loose hose clamps.
Triumph recommends HOAT or Hybrid Organic Acid Technology antifreeze in the T'Bird.
The following from Wikipedia.
Hybrid organic acid technology[edit]
HOAT coolants typically mix an OAT with a traditional inhibitor, usually silicates. [25]

An example is Zerex G05, which is a low-silicate, phosphate free formula that includes the benzoate inhibitor.[16]

A HOAT coolant can have a life expectancy as high as 10 years / 180,000 miles.[25]

Phosphate hybrid organic acid technology[edit]
P-HOAT coolants mix phosphates with HOAT.[25] This technology is typically used in Asian makes and is often dyed red or blue. [25]

Silicate hybrid organic acid technology[edit]
Si-OAT coolants mix silicates with HOAT.[25] This technology is typically used in European makes and is often dyed pink. [25]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of the coolant leaks are from loose hose clamps.
Triumph recommends HOAT or Hybrid Organic Acid Technology antifreeze in the T'Bird.
The following from Wikipedia.
Hybrid organic acid technology[edit]
HOAT coolants typically mix an OAT with a traditional inhibitor, usually silicates. [25]

An example is Zerex G05, which is a low-silicate, phosphate free formula that includes the benzoate inhibitor.[16]

A HOAT coolant can have a life expectancy as high as 10 years / 180,000 miles.[25]

Phosphate hybrid organic acid technology[edit]
P-HOAT coolants mix phosphates with HOAT.[25] This technology is typically used in Asian makes and is often dyed red or blue. [25]

Silicate hybrid organic acid technology[edit]
Si-OAT coolants mix silicates with HOAT.[25] This technology is typically used in European makes and is often dyed pink. [25]
Thanks VABird,
Any of the above do you recommend using, I've read the HOAT is the one used the most, A brand/type will do the trick to evaluate.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I changed my coolant over two years ago in my 2012 Thunderbird while doing the valve check/adjustment and used premixed Zerex G-05. I haven't seen any issues since so I think it's a good coolant to use in the Thunderbird.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts