Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I've been contemplating of getting rid of my current bike, 2005 Yamaha FZ6N and picking up a 2009 EFI Thruxton for about 6 months now. My previous bike was a 1981 Kawi KZ550. Has anyone had any experience going from an "upright" sportbike like the FZ6, FZ1, Speedtriple, Streettriple, to the Thruxton? I demo rode a Duc Sport 1000 Biposto and the riding position was pretty bad. After only riding the Sport 1000 for only 30 mins, I felt very uncomfortable. I'm really hoping the Thruxton isnt the same way and the shop I went to didnt have a Thruxton demo yet. Also I was wondering if anyone knows if you can swap the stock Thruxton seat with a stock Bonnie seat. I would love to take my other half out and the stock Bonnie seat looks like it would be very comfortable for long rides. I'm pretty sure this has already been asked, but I was wondering what is the largest size tire you can put on the thruxton's rear rim? Lastly, how good is the stock suspension on the Thrux? I'm 5'11 about 193lbs. Does the front dive a lot? Thanks everyone for your answer, this will really help me make a decision.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2005 T-100, 2010 Street Triple, 1974 Honda CB550
158 Posts
My last bike was a Honda 919, with a more upright streetfighter riding position.

Although my 07 Thrux has clipons, I have sat on an 09 and the riding position is considerably different than mine. For a while I considered swapping mine out for an aftermarket riser kit, but killed the idea when I realized it would really take away from the look of the bike. I also addressed my own posture and riding habits and have noticed an improvement in comfort.

You can swap the saddle for a Bonnie model, but you lose the cowl mounting holes. If you don't care and/or plan on keeping both seats it won't matter. Furthermore, there is a gel Thruxton saddle available which I am considering for myself - yes, has cowl mounting holes. Gel saddle is about $240.

Stock suspension is suitable, but should be on anyone's list of upgrades. I tackled my rear springs this winter and plan on doing the front forks before too long. Moderate suspension upgrades will run about $300-500 rear and $100-200 front.

Your best bet is to search the forums - you'll find tons of threads on suspension, saddles, exhaust, tires, etc.

It's a great bike at a reasonable price (in US at least) but it is what it is. Working on these bikes is relatively easy and some of the shortcomings make it more fun and a bit more authentic.

Good luck. Get out there and demo one ASAP!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just to add to the above, the 2009 no longer has clip ons so it should be more comfortable. You can also add different types of bars now. The suspension is poor and you'll probably want to replace the shocks. Coincidentally, I just ordered ikons last night.

Its a fun, great looking bike to ride but bear in mind, as a twin, it vibrates and buzzes over 70/80mph, is not that comfortable on long rides, the thrux seat is actually comfortable by triumph stnds. I think the bonne (ironing board seat) is one of the worst seats based on comments here. Most buy aftermarket or a gel seat.

They really are cool fun bikes but many call them mediocre at best due to their poor suspension, brakes, seats, etc.

Some buy them and then put 3-4k into it which many feel is counterproductive as you could just buy a duck or goose or bmw with already has the better componentry, etc.

I think if you find one you like and make minimal changes after you have ridden it for a few thousand miles, you'll be pleased, just dont expect a rocket or all day cruise.

Enjoy and stay safe
Dave-

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I have an '09 and have had a bunch of bikes over the last few years, the last being a 2007 BMW F800ST. I find the Thruxton ergos pretty good. They are almost the same as the F800ST, actually. I only have about 525 miles on the Thrux so far, with the longest day in the saddle last week for 225 miles. I took a few breaks and wasn't too tired at the end of my ride - I could easily have kept going. I think it is much less aggressive than the Sport 1000.

The bike is terrific on back roads; but not so good on slab (as would be the case for all naked bikes) due to the wind blast you sometimes get.

The bike has adjustable front and rear preload, and I've found it works well enough so far (but I haven't really ridden it hard yet). I did notice it was soft when I first picked it up, so I cranked down the forks to the second line and the rear to the 3rd notch - much firmer.

The cowl is removable, by the way, so you can ride two up and try it with the stock seat. Maybe she'll like it.

From what I've read, you can get a 150 on the rear without modification.

Lastly, you will want an aftermarket pipe on this baby. This thing just sounds SWEET when that engine starts purring.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have an 09' Thruxton as my first bike and daily driver. I'm 6' 3" and 190lbs. I find the riding position to be very comfortable. I've covered 5000 miles in three months, the longest ride being 150 miles. I became a bit uncomfortable towards the end of the ride, but I'm pretty sure it had more to do with a backpack full of camera equipment than the riding position. I'm pretty content with the bike as is. Aside from some aesthetic mods, first on my list is pipes as the bike is far too quiet. After that suspension is next. The front does dive quite a bit, even without heavy breaking. I'm going to do a few track days with the stock suspension before altering anything though. All in all a fantastic bike. Go for it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think you'll find the '09 much more comfortable than the Duc you test rode. I think the Ducs are more extreme than my Thrux, and I have an '08 with clip-ons.

Going from the Thrux seat to the Bonnie seat will be counterproductive. The stock Thrux seat is actually not that bad, in fact it's one of the better stock seats I've experienced. The Bonnie and Scrambler seats are not too good.

Largest possible rear tire seems to be about 150/70/17 but there are some qualifiers to that (some brands fit, others are not recommended for the Thruxtons rim width, wider tire changes handling, etc.) The search function is your friend.

Stock suspension is passable, but not great. I've had better and worse. Notably worse was my $19,000 BMW, but most of the bikes that I've had with better stock suspensions were also more expensive bikes, so I'm not too disappointed with the Triumph on this one. I don't really feel that it dives excessively under braking if you set the preload correctly. I'm running the stock stuff until I wear it out a bit, and then I'll switch over to some better components. Improvements can be made for reasonable $. Again the search funnction is your friend.

Good luck!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for all the info. This makes me pretty relieved to hear that the thrux isnt gonna kill my back like the duc. I've done tons of searching on this site and it sure does have a lot of information on everything you need. British Customs sure makes a lot of nice mods for the bike.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I would love to take my other half out and the stock Bonnie seat looks like it would be very comfortable for long rides.
The cowl comes off of the Thruxton and there is a seat there that your other half could ride on.... the bonnie seat is _not_ comfortable for either you or anyone behind you.

To life more easier for the lady behind you, there are back-rest kits that come off easily and conceal mostly under the cowl that work well.... I'd post a link to the thread about it, but I'm feeling lazy.

EDIT
How about that... less lazy than I thought:
http://www.triumphrat.net/club-cafe/110572-for-those-of-us-with-girlfriends-and-wives.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts