Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new member of the forums, long time stalker ... I've been riding my older gsxr for about 4 years now and I am looking for a speedy.. well i found one but having little knowledge about them I'm asking for some advice:

it is a 07' speed triple w/ 8k miles that has a salvaged title. Owner says it was due to a low speed dumb that resulted in scratches, a couple cracks in the rear plastics, and loss the foot peg. he replaced the engine cover and fixed pretty much everything and it is now cleared by the dmv. asking $4500 , it might need a new oil cooler due to a pinhole leek where the line enters but I'm not sure if he said he fixed that or not.

any thoughts on the bike or general situation would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would be very wary of anything with a salvage title. It normally takes a lot more than scratches and plastics to cause that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what scares you guys so much about a salvaged title? since most of the bikes on the road today have been down before and many more than once ... i do not speak from experience though about salvages, just thought ...

·
Registered
436 Posts
what scares you guys so much about a salvaged title? since most of the bikes on the road today have been down before and many more than once ... i do not speak from experience though about salvages, just thought ...
You don't know what else has happened to the bike, or the severity of the crash it was involved in.

There are alot of used bikes that have never been layed down. It's also the off season in most states for buying motorcycles. You should be able to find alot of bikes in better condition to choose from.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
finding a triple for sale within a couple hours is pretty hard to do where i live (Wisconsin) ... there are not many around here and most are pretty expensive ... I've been watching since this summer and haven't found much at all ... and being on a budget makes it difficult

i think I'm going to atleast check the bike out and take it for a ride if i can bare the weather ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Brent

Don't be scared off just be extra careful - my speedy was a salvage one that I fixed myself (guy laid it over on black ice at low speed). You can tell a high speed or low spped damage usually very easy.

Insurance companies can very easily write a bike off due to the very high OEM parts prices (dash alone was 2,400 Aussie dollars) and that the avenues like Ebay I scored mine for 400 AUD) hence a 6,000 OEM quote = 2,500.

If the seller is geniune he should allow you to take it to a dealer / inspector to give it the once over. Down under it is so hard to get a salvaged bike registered as I needed a road worthy inspection, then a bike alignment inspection (on a jig) and final a Transport Department vehicle identity inspection.

Believe me the do not clear titles without be 100% sure everything is OK otherwise they are exposing themselves as well

But remeber you should not be paying market rates though I'd expect at least a 10% discount off market rates

Hope that helps
Stu

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mate - please note I am not a mechanic but a guys who plays with fixing bikes so below may not be 100% but its what I have learned - I'd be checking

1) the steering stops on the lower triple clamps - are they dented or in good order. A hard hit will usually result in these being snapped off. However the lower triple clamp is easily replaced so also check where the stops touch the frame to see if there are any dents

2) check for free play in the steering head both side to side (using handlebards) and push down on the forks with the front brakes on - 'investigate further if the is any noises that shouldn,t be there.

3) the rear ends are pretty well protected by the passenger foot pegs but always good the check the rear wheel alignment with the front - bodyworks can assist or use 2 strings from front axle back

4) spend some time examining the frame - they a very strong but check for any paint chips or cracking as this can show frame stress. If a low speed there should be now marks except for maybe some scuffing but a big one may flex the frame causing paint to lift - if so walk away

5) if you ride it how do the bars feel - do the feel straight. If not it could be a simple bend in the bars or may be a fork issue (just look further if it does not feel right)

6) engine - I found out that the Speedy's have a fail safe in the ECU where if the bike is leaning more than 70 degrees over (I think) the ECU cuts power thus no risk of running on its side so the motor should be OK - but check the engine mounts on the frame to make sure they are not twisted. Also have the seller fix the pin hole on the oil cooler - oil and tyres dont mix

If you are keen I'd recommend a mechanic does a detailed check to back you up - may cost you some $ but if your not comfortable with checking yourself it will give you piece of mind. If the seller refuses he is mos likely hiding something

Good luck
Stu

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks Big Wig ! I will deffenitley check those out.

I'm debating if i should tell him to fix the oil cooler or try and use it as a bargaining chip ...

·
Registered
440 Posts
finding a triple for sale within a couple hours is pretty hard to do where i live (Wisconsin) ...
If that's the case, then there are limited places where the bikes original owner could have taken it after his accident. And the insurance company may have needed to get the damage estiamte from an authorized Triumph dealer. Ask him where - or check out the most local Triumph dealer and see if they can give you any background on the bike's accident.

That said, Big Wig is right. Don't be scared. A low speed or awkward drop of a bike can be enough to total it once you start adding up a scratch there and a scratch here. And if the bike is more then a year or two old, then the resale value may not be high enough to offset the cost of parts and labor. Example: $3500 dollars for parts, $1500 for labor on a bike with a resale value of $6500 dollars and blam! The cost of fixing the bike is 70% of the resale value = more enough to total it in the insurance company's eyes.

But do check it over thoroughly and get as much info as possible - including the original insurance repair estimate, if possible. You may find that, aside from the radiator, it's just a bunch of small scratched up non-mechanical/cosmetic pieces that you could live with or replace and bolt on your self, e.g. mirrors, clutch levers, stator covers, side panel, etc.
Good luck!

·
Registered
436 Posts
yeah it is ... you know of the bike?
Nope. But he's running an add on the other forum. Here's the add.

07 Triumph Speed Triple
7500 miles
Black
Pro Taper handlebars

Newspeed3 Undertail with integrated blinkers
Newspeed3 black pegs

Bike is in good condition. Purchased in Louisianna as a salvage/rebuildable title. Fixed the side cover and the peg from a low speed dump. Now has a clean title after i fixed it and had it inspected.
$5500obo
located in madison,wi

And a pic of the bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
do you think the pinhole in the oil cooler could be welded shut? i'm not familiar with this type of situation but i have a hard time seeing that it isn't possible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mate the owner really likes the black with the pipes wrapped up like that - wonder he kept the gold stanctions on the forks.

Your right a welder should be able to fix but you'll probably pick up one of Ebay for a cheaper price than repairing

I've attached a before and after pic on my Speedy - at least the one your looking at has a front wheel and is not lying on a pallet.

Cheers Stu

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts