Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im 28 yrs. old and for the last 5 years i've wanted a speed triple. your probably wondering what's been holding me back. well i had back surgery and it didn't go to well (pain wise). i've been working out so i can ride. anybody have a take on a person with a bad back buying a speed triple? besides the looks, i love how low it sits so it would be easier on my back. how much lighter. plus im not leaning forward as much as other sport bikes. im not looking at the 1050 cc ones. i'm having a hard time finding a triumph let alone one that's a 955cc.
i would appreciate ANY suggestions or experiences. anything please! even if somebody is selling there's in N.E. Ohio or Western PA.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had a ninja at the time of my back surgery and i rode dirt bikes my whole child hood. 1st thing people tell me it's not a beginners bike. im taking it realllllly slowly. im just going to be riding it to work the 1st summer (which is only a 1 mile away), basically really close. i have a great teacher also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2007-03-02 22:53, meanchuck wrote:
Mine is for sale! Check it out, I'm in central Pa though

1995 Speed Triple
gorgeous bike!!!! i think it's to much for me (speed wise). i'll run it across my bike genius of a friend. also how much are you asking for it?? how close are you to ashtabula ohio; northeast ohio and about 40 minutes from erie. wow is that a beautiful bike too

·
Registered
171 Posts
With your experience I'm sure the S3 will be no prob, probably just one or two unintentional wheelies to begin with and your back will be fine on it just give it a couple weeks. Reading and having folks tell you about the speedy really does it no justice whatsoever the instant you actually ride one you'll realize that everything was an understatement. Hopefully you'll find one close to home and soon, riding season is a comin'!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
triumphrat.net has a great classified section BUT can anybody suggest another site where people post there motorcycles for sale. besides cycle trader or ebay.
thank you!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ignore people who tell you it's not a bike suitable for beginners or the inexperienced. As long as you know your own limits it's a bike that'll happily live within them - it just needs some self control.

My 1050 Triple is actually my first 'big' bike but it's not a completely mad choice - I just couldn't see the point in getting something I was going to be bored of in six months - I wanted something that was always going to be capable and well ahead of my abilities.

It's incredibly stable and the nature of the engine means you can ride around at low revs without any difficulty at all - it'll pull at virtually any point in the range so there's no need to worry about shifting gears all the time. And any bike only goes as fast as you want it to - just be gentle with your right hand and there's no reason to be afraid that it's going to get the better of you.

As I'm getting more used to the bike, it's getting more and more fun - just twist the throttle that little bit more, let the revs get that little bit higher... Everybody's still learning stuff - we're just at different points on the line. With the Triple, though, I'm not feeling like I'm going to reach a point where I'm not getting any better because the bike is holding me back.

If you end up getting something else because you think the Speed Triple is too much then you'll regret it - maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but soon, and for the rest of your life (or at least until you end up buying one anyway)...

·
Registered
146 Posts
On 2007-03-03 04:50, Fingermouse wrote:
Ignore people who tell you it's not a bike suitable for beginners or the inexperienced. As long as you know your own limits it's a bike that'll happily live within them - it just needs some self control.

My 1050 Triple is actually my first 'big' bike but it's not a completely mad choice - I just couldn't see the point in getting something I was going to be bored of in six months - I wanted something that was always going to be capable and well ahead of my abilities.

It's incredibly stable and the nature of the engine means you can ride around at low revs without any difficulty at all - it'll pull at virtually any point in the range so there's no need to worry about shifting gears all the time. And any bike only goes as fast as you want it to - just be gentle with your right hand and there's no reason to be afraid that it's going to get the better of you.

As I'm getting more used to the bike, it's getting more and more fun - just twist the throttle that little bit more, let the revs get that little bit higher... Everybody's still learning stuff - we're just at different points on the line. With the Triple, though, I'm not feeling like I'm going to reach a point where I'm not getting any better because the bike is holding me back.

If you end up getting something else because you think the Speed Triple is too much then you'll regret it - maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but soon, and for the rest of your life (or at least until you end up buying one anyway)...
Exactly why i bought the S3 after having ridden a XR600 for a year. Some find it stupid but i trust in myself to be able to learn to ride it. If i'd have bought something more in between the XR600 and the S3 i'd hate myself for not getting the S3 anyway.

AH well, 14 days to go and the S3 will be in my hands, got 2 days off work, just set off into the sunset enjoying the ride :cool:

·
Registered
299 Posts
For searching you should look periodically at Craigslist. Go to Google and type in "craigslist.org speed triple" (without the quotes). I just did a check and didn't find anything near you but there were bikes for sale.

I bought my 2003 S3 off from ebay and had to travel 1,000 miles round trip to pick it up. Plan for a little road trip and you'll expand your potential purchase territory a bit.

As for the back thing...

I'd broken my neck a couple of years before purchasing my bike so I understand your bike selection. I found though that the S3's upright stance was actually a bit rough on my neck due to being "up in the wind". I've tried a number of different bars to find an intermediate front lean position and am currently using a set of Raask Laverda adustable bars which sit more upright than clipons but are lower than the stock bars.

I love my S3 for a number of reasons. Part of the fun was the hunt for a good bike (I'd originally intended to purchase a Buell XB9S) so enjoy the search adventure. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about my search and purchase experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WOW, thanks! I appreciate it. Yeah i know I'm going to have to take a drive. Phili is 7hrs. away. even MeanChuck lives 5 hrs from me. I love road trips but my friend won't like it so much (well at least his wife won't). so i have to find something closer :(
I put up a want ad on this great site so hopefully I'll find one that way.
Thank you!

·
Registered
171 Posts
yeah 7 hours is a stretch, maybe you could meet up half-way with the seller, if not keep looking, hopefully all the press the speedy is getting won't have everybody looking for one. I know that was my main concern when I got mine, DwarF was very cool and held it for me though. I think a 3.5 hour drive to a guarenteed "sell" is pretty do-able for a motivated seller and if you do happen to buy MeanChucks you can get a live glimpse of his streetfighter project which is very sick by the way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On 2007-03-03 12:34, ThePope wrote:
yeah 7 hours is a stretch, maybe you could meet up half-way with the seller, if not keep looking, hopefully all the press the speedy is getting won't have everybody looking for one. I know that was my main concern when I got mine, DwarF was very cool and held it for me though. I think a 3.5 hour drive to a guarenteed "sell" is pretty do-able for a motivated seller and if you do happen to buy MeanChucks you can get a live glimpse of his streetfighter project which is very sick by the way.
I'm trying to find away to go to MeanChucks. Yeah he showed me pics of his new project. Just to see his new project is worth the trip. i'm going to call him this weekend to maybe work something out. I really like the bike (from pics and discussions with him)
i haven't seen a speed triple in my town or cleveland. it's a shame because it's the best looking bike and as i found out the best all around bike. plus you can't beat the price.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I think my project might look better in the pictures! Like I said before it is just in mock-up stage right now and I wasn't going for my normal standards of fit and finish. It was just a kind of design study or prototype, if I could draw I could probably save some time but you can't sit on a drawing! I had to push it aside this weekend because I am waiting on parts so I am working on getting my 1100 Shadow "Cruise Fighter" a little closer to being on the road this Spring and I am doing some frame modifications to my neighbor's XS650 streettracker tomorrow. It's almost like I have a real bike shop!! I'll post some pics of the Shadow soon, some of might like it but most of you will probably just laugh and wonder what I am smoking.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Hey Chuck, Since you are in Pennsylvania I really could care less what you're smoking. I like what I've seen of your bikes so far. I think I'd like to see your "Cruise Fighter" no matter what it's like.

At very least it's good for a laugh or two.

Here's a couple of my "design" efforts. They don't exist of course.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'll try to get some pics on tomorrow. I am not getting as far as I would like to have been at this time today but the stuff I have done so far has worked out better than I thought it would.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On 2007-03-03 13:20, meanchuck wrote:
I think my project might look better in the pictures! Like I said before it is just in mock-up stage right now and I wasn't going for my normal standards of fit and finish. It was just a kind of design study or prototype, if I could draw I could probably save some time but you can't sit on a drawing!
It's bad a#* chuck. prototype or not. it's just scary when you say it's just a prototype and you haven't had much time to work on it. I just can't wait to see it finished, but to you it will probably never be "just right" or done. I work with a couple of guys that re-build or modify motorcycles. one's into indians the other harleys. you sound just like them, so humble.

·
Registered
572 Posts
On 2007-03-03 16:43, vitonxl wrote:
On 2007-03-03 13:20, meanchuck wrote:
I think my project might look better in the pictures! Like I said before it is just in mock-up stage right now and I wasn't going for my normal standards of fit and finish. It was just a kind of design study or prototype, if I could draw I could probably save some time but you can't sit on a drawing!
It's bad a#* chuck. prototype or not. it's just scary when you say it's just a prototype and you haven't had much time to work on it. I just can't wait to see it finished, but to you it will probably never be "just right" or done. I work with a couple of guys that re-build or modify motorcycles. one's into indians the other harleys. you sound just like them, so humble.
So are you going to call me and talk about my Speedy?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts