Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings....Have just joined the S3 ranks by acquiring an 03' Greenie Speedie with about 8300 Miles on her. Some small dilemmas I have been pondering:

The plastic oil dipstick is tight to the point of pliers use almost all the way out. Acts cross threaded... Threads look good on the dipstick but flattish on the case. Any cause for alarm?

The Fly Screen sits way forward of the headlights. End of screen is a good 5"+ in front of the headlights. Instruments seem really far forward too in relation to the top triple. Mount bracket 'looks' normal. Are there several types of mounting brackets?

No idea which 'tune' is programmed in. It does have the TORS highpipe, and was supposedly set up for that but that could have been done in 03' Do they update the Tunes over time? Does it matter what air filter I have? not sure what's in the airbox, PO didnt know. I'm guessing OEM. The bike seems to pop alot like it's lean..

Thanks for any and all reply's

Cheers, Rick

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Newbie issues 03' Speedie

OK , That didnt seem to attract any interest. Lets try another issue.

My clutch cable has seen better days. I read 'somewhere' that it's possible just to use an 05' or later cable, and you'll get a slightly better feel. Anyone able to confirm or deny that?

Also am considering using the Renthal Streetfighter Bar. Anyone have direct experience/comment?

Thanks for any reply.

Cheers, Rick

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oil dipstick:
Mine is just alittle tight at the end. if you are fighting it all the way out there might be a problem of sorts. I might get a new one depending on cost (small and plastic should not be too much). If the metal threads look ok there is little I would worry about.

Flyscreen:
I have the same instrument mounts as you but no fly screen. There is only one stock mount for any given year. Check bike bandit to make sure yours look the same.

Tune:
Who knows which tune you have. there are 2? or so tune a dealer could have loaded in the bike, I think the 2 have updates over the years but I don't know for sure. Tuneboy allows you flash new maps without dealer help.

Clutch Cable:
I hear that they wear out a bit. Get a new one if your looks like it has had better days before it strands you.

Have Fun!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Maybe I can help... Maybe not...
First, the clutch cable: Essentially, your clutch cable is simply an actuation device. If your lever feels rough or feels like it's hanging up, it's probably time for a new cable. Changing out a perfectly good cable for a different perfectly good cable, is probably not going to make a difference. Obviously, a well built cable is going to have a smoother "feel" than a cheap one, but, you're not going to find a miracle performance upgrade here.

Next, the bars: As far as I can tell, The aforementioned Renthal bars are pretty much a direct replacement for your stock bars. I don't know what the dimensions of your bars are, but the pullback, width, and rise, will all play a role in your riding position, and effect input reaction, so, you need to figure out where you want your grips, and order the bars accordingly.

Also, your stock bars are steel, and the Renthal bars are aluminum, which will save you a little bit of weight, however, you're not going to notice a big difference while you're riding. But, they look really really good!

I changed out my stock chrome (I have no use for chrome) bars for factory gold "fat bars" and they look a thousand times better. They didn't change a thing about how the bike handled or rode... strictly aesthetic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, first dipstick,
If it is tight all the way out it has probably warped due to heat change. WOuld be worth replacing. It may have been affected by the engine heat whilst not excessive may have been enough to alter the thread lay.

Clutch cable: if it appears a bit worse for wear then replace it. Changing to a late r year/model wont help any more than replacing the OEM unless you have an after market clutch installed.

Fly screen: Check out pics of other bikes with similar installed and compare. I have an 08 Speed Triple with a fly screen and initially it looked too far forward. On checking though it had to be where it is.

Bars: Boogievan has nailed it. Bars are aesthetic mainly unless you change the "pullback". Weight loss/gain is irrelevent unless you are racing. The position of your bars will affect the perception of where your instruments and fly screen are.

Make it into what you want it to look like provided you are happy with the comfort (riding position) and control.

Hope this helps
John

·
Registered
81 Posts
The 05+ Clutch cable can be routed differently, at least differently then my '01, which routes through the frame and next to the tank, etc.

The 05+ routes in front of the bike and to the side of the frame. So the cable doesn't have the two nasty bends at either end like the '01. Again, not sure how it routes on 02-04.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Good thought on the dipstick being warped, I'm ordering a new one, it's cheap.

I'll live with the Flyscreen until I can see another 03' for comparison.

I think I'm going to try the 05'+ clutch cable, the OEM does a bunch of tight bends from the lever to the arm..

I love this bike so far, my former ride was a KTM Supermoto so I like a wide handlebar.

I got a bunch of spares with this bike so I'll likely offer em up to the group when I can take some photos...

Cheers, Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts