Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum as have just bought a 2000 sprint st.

I have changed the oil, filter, plugs, brake fluid, air filter, coolant.
The plugs were great except cyl 2 which showed a bit black sooty(rich i guess). I ran the bike after for about 8 miles and ran great.
Today i ran the bike for about 12 miles and stopped for a coffee. When i re started off the bike seemed to have a fuel blockage just after 1/8th throttle if i opened up more it would jump and speed off.
It did it all the way home for the next 3-4 miles. I left it for about 2 hours and started the bike and it seemed to be ok.

Any ideas.......Could it be the fuel filter, (blockage) or maybe the injectors.... can you put an additive to help clear injectors if so which one?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Welcome mat

Hi and welcome to the Sprint forum mycalldoe:)

On the subject of being new here dolson (Don) and I ask all noobs to please read our forum stickies and aquant yourself with how things work here.:)

Regarding your bike, firstly I am not a very technical person, but know a bit about tyres.

Seeing as the bike is new to you I would run some injector cleaner through a tank of gas as a precaution, also if you have a manual it states the bike to be run on minimum 95 RON fuel, so this could be an issue although I doubt it.

Anyhow Congratulations on the new bike and joining Trat:)

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that...
I will read the stickies....

I only ever use 95ron fuel.... i will try the additive.....

·
Registered
764 Posts
Sounds like a fuel problem to me.

I suggest you do the following:

Check the fuel filter, if it is blocked replace it

Try a fuel injector cleaner, there are plenty of brands out there that will do the job

If that does not work, remove your injectors and take them to place where they can ultrasonically clean them

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
So you have a hesitation? If you had a fuel blockage to two of your three cylinders you would then have a stall.

I would check your fuel filter as that is a good place to start and on our bike is separate from your fuel pump. If that doesn't cure it then get out your digital multimeter and find your throttle position sensor. From there you need to see what your voltage is there. You can search it out, I can't remember what it is.

You can adjust it somewhat but not a ton. Other then that the only other thing you can do is get the throttle bodies balanced so that they are all operating.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm not sure how it's plumbed on your bike but you could also check the gas tank vent hose. On older bikes these can soften and the engine heat can cause the hose to collapse. If it happens again, open your tank filler cap and see if the condition clears.

Colin

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
great thanks for the info all of you.....

I will try all the suggestions and post the result. I was wondering about changing the fuel filter when i had the tank off but it was running ok so did not see the need at the time but i guess some crud could of got in there....

:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update on my problem.

I mentioned when i came back from my ride when it started hesitating that after leaving it for a while it seemed to be ok.

Well, i put some cleaner in the tank (i was reccomended to put cam/valve cleaner as it cleans the valves as well as the injectors) took it out for a spin for about 12 miles and it seemed to run ok and felt a bit better actually. I need to take it out for longer to use up the fuel but is now thick snow here so no riding. Maybe it was a small glitch and it cleared itself, maybe it was the vent hoses, not sure till i take it for a longer ride. Will keep posting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An update....

I have ridden the bike with no problems for ages until today.....i managed almost to replicate the same thing that happened when the bike was hesitating.

I went to pull off and stalled the bike and restarted whilst in gear and clutch in within seconds of it stalling.... And then the bike slightly hesitated all way back home, but not as bad as before. I remember that that is exactly what happened before when it hesitated.

So to sum up i would say that what i did when starting was have the throttle slightly open which looking at these threads suggests the ecu found a new idle position and therefore ran hesitantly....Only guessing that this could be it....so when i got home this time i switched off the bike for a minute restarted it took it out for a ride and it seemed to be ok again.

Is this possible? Hope it is otherwise i may have an ittermittent fault.

And just looked at the thread on how to reset the ECU so will do that in a mo.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
There is a thread on "resetting the sagem ecu" but the search function is not helping me.

Basically turn the bike on without touching anything (especially the throttle at start up as this does funny things to the ECU) let it heat up until the fan kicks in again without touching anything else.

Turn it off. The ECU is then reset.

This info came from DaveM some time ago. Thanks Dave.

Found it !!

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/65847-reset-all-settings-on-ecu-on-sagem-sprint.html :)

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Couple of things you could check.....

Plugs??

Drain hoses underneath petrol tank??/( they are known to block easily, then if any water gets in past the petrol cap, it can get into the tank)
If you take the plugs out, I always skim a bit of vaseline/silicon sealant around the outer rim, where the cap seals, as these can let water in too!!

PS: Just a couple of niggly faults........but, you do have the one of the best bikes in the 955i range!!!

I had some hesitation/stalling on mine which was definitely down to all of the above....I actually drained the tank as well, fresh fuel and now she runs through 1200 miles of thunderstorms without missing a beat!

But I check/ clean (wd40) those pesky drain hoses about once a month!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that.

I reset the ECU and it seemed to run a little sweeter until i stalled it again and a slight hesitation came back again, once again i started it with the bike in gear and clutch lever in as before. What is odd is that i did stall it previously today and i took it out of gear turned off the lights and then re started making sure i did not touch the throttle and let it idle for a few seconds before pulling off again. That time it was fine so i think it is down to the restarting instantly after it stalls that causes it. I was talking to a guy who had a new Honda blackbird fuel injection who said he gets hesitation slightly and he said it never happened with his earlier carb model.

By the way 'Frider' i have put fresh plugs in and have had no water go anywhere near her since then. By the drain hoses do you mean vent hoses that come out at the side of the tank? or the main one under the left side of the tank?

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Since no one else has, I'll bring up the Fuel Pressure Regulator Mod.

Although you have something else going on, the FPRM seems to help the starting and throttle response of the 955i in a big way.

There are several threads on the subject.

I used the 'Tiger' method, where you do the mod with the FPR installed. However, since you are thinking about servicing the filter, you can do it then.

HTH

·
Registered
191 Posts
MyCallDoe -

Great info you're getting, and you are on the right track.

I too own a 2000 ST, and just one question. You state you restarted the bike right after it stalled out with it in gear & clutch in. Does that mean you used the starter to refire it, or Jump started it by releasing the clutch?
My bike won't start with the starter unless it is in nuetral, side stand up, and clutch in. I just wondered, it may be nothing, I don't know.

roadduster2

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks...

any chance of a link to the tech pics of the mod as i can find the thread but cant seem to get the pics.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MyCallDoe -

Great info you're getting, and you are on the right track.

I too own a 2000 ST, and just one question. You state you restarted the bike right after it stalled out with it in gear & clutch in. Does that mean you used the starter to refire it, or Jump started it by releasing the clutch?
My bike won't start with the starter unless it is in nuetral, side stand up, and clutch in. I just wondered, it may be nothing, I don't know.

roadduster2
yes it started in gear with the clutch in and i used the starter....literally as it stalled i pulled in the clutch and pressed the start button and it fired up.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts