Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi Everyone. I finally tore into the 66 bonnie I bought in sept. I have really used this site alot as a lurker. thanks for your posts. they are a huge help to us newbies. I am trying to post a photo of the mess bonnie is. Trying to finish her by april! Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly weekender. I would like to keep you all informed on the project. Hopefully, we run into just regular problems on this build, nothing too tricky where we need the lot of you to get through it. I look forward to learning all you can spare.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have a REAL project to keep you busy. I'm trying to finish up my first Triumph "ground up" rebuild. I bought a 68 T-120 thinking I could get it going and ride a bit. It was complete but after I got into it, everything was bent, broken or worn out. I go through periods of total frustration but the goal keeps me going. I've always thought the 63 to 70 Triumphs were the prettiest bikes ever built. Good luck and have patience.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Yeah, by the look of that tank it seems some guy really wanted a harley but had a Triumph instead - BAD MIX! But you have the foundation for a good machine; start sniffin' around for things you'll need and presto! A new old bike! [I make it sound so easy, eh?]

·
Super Moderator
12,458 Posts
I don't know about the previous owner wanting a harley, those "peanut" tanks were EVERYWHERE in the 60s and 70s, dirt cheap.

choppers, cafe racers, dirt bikes, touring bikes, didn't matter. they were cheap replacements and all you had to do was drill 2 holes and slap 'em on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the tank was free! and people act like triumphs tanks are made of gold. When the tanks become reasonable we'll think about getting one. The whole bike only cost $150 so I am going for the cheap chop. I hope I don't offend the traditionalists but this is a chopper for sure. But we are going to try to keep it from looking like a harley with a trump motor in it. Blown piston (good news to me) gladd it wasn't siezed or blown up inside. The motor is in pieces now and getting it checked. Don't know how far the cylinder has been bored or anything yet.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just some food for thought guy, but I think you can do a workmanlike chop without changing anything you can't change back. If the numbers match, it would be worth it to keep you options, and to preserve its value. In that case, I would keep any take-off parts too. A matching basket is always worth more than a non-matching basket, all other things being equal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
hey man that looks like a good project, I had a freaking sporter tank on mine for a few years. yea and tanks are gold. I dont know why but man I paid as much for the tank on mine as I did for the motor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts