Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from the left coast U.S.A. (San Francisco Bay Area)!

I've been lurking here for a couple of months as NorCalRed (2007 Tornado Red ABS), but I just traded in that bike for a new 2006 Caspian Blue. Yep - it's my 2nd Sprint, and my 3rd Triumph overall (1st bike was a 2006 Black Bonnie) since I learned to ride 2.5 years ago - I started biking late in life, but I've been trying to make up for it ever since - 23,000 miles between the 3 bikes since starting. It's not an addiction; it's a hobby!

I've read the stickies, watched the video, and bought the new-guy t-shirt, all in hopes of learning the ropes before I start annoying everyone with my posts/comments.

I look forward to learning from all of you.

Trivia contest - I stole my user name - BlueBecomesYou from what movie?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Welcome to the sprint nuthouse! lots of helpful folks aboard this forum. if you spend too much time here it costs you alot of cash for all the great farkles you see on the members bikes. enjoy, cheers, Maury.:)

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
well Welcome then

Greetings from the left coast U.S.A. (San Francisco Bay Area)!

I've been lurking here for a couple of months as NorCalRed (2007 Tornado Red ABS), but I just traded in that bike for a new 2006 Caspian Blue. Yep - it's my 2nd Sprint, and my 3rd Triumph overall (1st bike was a 2006 Black Bonnie) since I learned to ride 2.5 years ago - I started biking late in life, but I've been trying to make up for it ever since - 23,000 miles between the 3 bikes since starting. It's not an addiction; it's a hobby!

I've read the stickies, watched the video, and bought the new-guy t-shirt, all in hopes of learning the ropes before I start annoying everyone with my posts/comments.

I look forward to learning from all of you.

Trivia contest - I stole my user name - BlueBecomesYou from what movie?
Well what can I say then?:D

Welcome BlueBecomesYou I hope you enjoy our forum then:)

Congratulations on another Triumph for yourself.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why I went from an 07 sprint abs to an 06 Sprint...

Multiple factors - after 2 years and 17,000 miles I decided I had to either keep it for the long haul or replace it, as the next big service (with valves) and new tires were both on the horizon. The factory warranty had just ended as well. Cosmetically it needed some help - it had a major dent in the front wheel (big pothole at speed), and minor but expensive-to-fix fairing damage on one side. Mechanically it was fine, though.

During those 2 years I went through a tremendous learning curve, and the bike and I both suffered as a result. In retrospect, it was way too much bike for me as an almost-newbie and top heavy at times (my 29.5 inch inseam didn't help, either). I had 4 or 5 low-speed or no-speed parking lot drops with the top case on, 2 of which were high-sides on downslopes, meaning the bike, fairing, and grips took a big hit - and I got launched into space with a painful landing. I only fixed one via insurance ($500 deductible out of pocket; insurance company picked up the balance of $2,000). Interestingly enough, all of my problems were in parking lots - I never had a single problem on the road at speed.

When I found a Caspian Blue 'new' 06 with 842 miles on it and full 2 year warranty, I decided to upgrade (retrograde?). This time I hope to avoid all of the rookie mishaps I inflicted on the first one. Now that I have a little more experience under my belt, I'll be able to enjoy this one more and keep it mostly upright (hopefully). Here's my top 10 list of things I learned with my first 2007 Sprint ABS:

1) The original front tire does really well at 36 lbs. cold, and does even better at 37 lbs. - running them low will cup them faster than you want to know. I keep my rear tire at 42 cold all the time now too. Early on I wasn't religious about checking the cold pressure, but I sure am now. Unfortunately I didn't find this out until they needed replacing at 8,000 miles.

2) For a long time I could never get comfortable with the way the bike handled, especially at low speed. My dealer was clueless. I was just about to give up on it when I visited Phil the suspension guru at Aftershocks, and he spent an hour adjusting the front preload, rear preload and rebound specifically for me - 5.7, 160 lbs. Afterward the difference was night and day. Prior to that I had always thought that only track bikes needed their suspensions adjusted - live and learn, I guess.

3) The money I spent on the Triumph off-road pipe and TOR map was wasted. I really couldn't discern much difference from the stock setup, except the exhaust pipe running under my right leg seemed to be even hotter than before. The sound of the exhaust improved a little, but it was nothing noteworthy or dramatic, much less really pleasing. I know the ECU was changed in 2007, and it was also a CA smoged bike, so maybe that made a difference (not sure if Triumph brings in 50 state bikes or 49 + 1).

4) I regretted buying the top case. When you add the weight of the mounting platform and the top case itself (not to mention what you put in it), you're putting some meaningful bulk out away from the bike, in a manner that only undermines your stability and center of gravity. To make things worse, I initially took off my side bags in order to better navigate lane splitting during my commute. Bad idea. Running a full top case with no side luggage only makes a bad situation worse. When I had my worst 2 low-speed/no-speed drops, the top case was mounted without side bags and the gas tank was full or nearly so. Now, I realize that in the end, gravity always wins. But, I was really surprised by the violent whip-like action on the bike (and me) when it returned to the pavement. I'm no engineer, but I guess I was hoping for a nice linear landing. It wasn't and it hurt.

5) Triumph Gel seat - good investment, in fact I took it off my old bike and put in my new bike. It's more dense than the original, and as such adds a little to the seat height (which doesn't help me). However, it's so much more comfortable than the stock seat I've learned to put up with it.

6) Triumph heated grips - not cheap, worked great, but really increased the diameter of the grips. I have small hands, so this was not a good thing. I just put a cheaper KTM grip kit on my new Sprint, and it works just as well with just a slight increase of grip size (although nothing beats the feel of the original stock grips).

7) Triumph bubble screen - worked really well for me, given my height. We have a lot of very windy bridges here in the bay area, and it made for much less buffeting than did the original. I could never get it installed completely flush, however (6 screws instead of just 2 on stock). Maybe by cockpit cowling was out of whack due to the drops.

8) Triumph tank bag and pad (for plastic tank) - cumbersome to put on and take off, but otherwise works fine. It does cover the gas tank completely, so unless your bike is black you're going to be riding around in stealth mode (which doesn't look very good to me). I still have this issue with my 'new' 06 - plastic tank - I guess I'll have to live with it.

8) Triumph side bags (hard luggage) and inside bags with hand grip - mostly hard side bags worked great - they also function as shock absorbers if you drop the bike (less fairing and rear turn signal damage if you drop the bike). The bike doesn't feel as sporty when they're mounted, but they really don't disrupt the handling of the bike if they're both loaded evenly. The portable inside bags with hand grip have not worked out so well for me. It seems like they were made too big to fit into the bins. Sometimes it's hard to get them in and shut the case even when they have a minimal amount of stuff in them. It seems like they take up 1/3 or more of the interior volume even when they're empty.

9) Triumph carbon fiber tank pad - initially, I couldn't get it to stick on my tank with the tiny (and few) stickies they included with it. I gave up on it and bought cheap rubber ones that worked much better and were a snap to install. When I got my new sprint, I fished out the old carbon fiber tank pad and installed it with some 3M double-sided auto body tape and it's now sticking like glue and looks really good, too.

10) Garmin GPS - expensive and worked great, until it was stolen in the middle of the night in front of my house. Unless they've addressed the 'quick' release mounting, don't bother with it. Long story short - it's not a quick release, which means it's so cumbersome to remove you'll tire quickly of doing it on a regular basis. It looks like an expensive piece so it's likely to get stolen even if the software lock is on. $700 plus cost of install down the drain with a quick snip of the wire.

Sorry for the long length of this - I'm just in the mood to share/vent. I also don't mean to imply that everyone will have the same problems I experienced - your circumstances are almost certainly different. At the end of the day, however, it's still a great bike. Despite all my challenges, I just got another one.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
BlueBecomesYou,

Regarding the tyre cupping, you will find several other brands will not cup anywhere near as bad as the OEM Slipstones BT 020, a tyre I believe is not best suited to this bike.

If you have a nose around in our "Maintenance Tips & Tricks" subforum you will find a tyre stickie, there are several detailed reviews on most brands.

cheers,

·
Registered
357 Posts
Welcome, but the 06 fuel mapping is even leaner than the 07 and I was having a HECK of a time starting in cold weather. The battery just wasn't delivering a full charge for a turn over on a cold morning. I figured out I how to jump it from my truck when I had to (with the truck off lead into the bike battery) but I never found a good fix.

EDIT and before anyone asks the bike was so lean it would need to turn over a lot on a cold morning to fire up. We are talking like 20-30 seconds at a whack which the dealer insisted was proper and not damaging the starter. The jump was needed because on a cold morning the battery is flat on the second attempt. I know the TOR fuel map could resolve this due to a richer start up but I never got around to getting it on there before she met the curb :-(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought the t-shirt...

I will gladly send you the t-shirt once you have deposited 10,000,000,000 dollars into my bank account...

Seriously man, we should come up with a cool Sprint Forum 'Newbie' t-shirt design. I'd buy one. A logo with the trident pipe...

Dave, thx for the heads up on the tire replacement stickie - on my first sprint (norcalred 2007 red abs), I went with Metzeler Z6's - after 8,000 miles I was still going strong front and back when I traded it in. Great, all-weather tires. I'll probably go with them again when I wear out my current set of BS BT 20's. I'm currently at 3,000 miles so it won't be long now...

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
I will gladly send you the t-shirt once you have deposited 10,000,000,000 dollars into my bank account...

Seriously man, we should come up with a cool Sprint Forum 'Newbie' t-shirt design. I'd buy one. A logo with the trident pipe...

Dave, thx for the heads up on the tire replacement stickie - on my first sprint (norcalred 2007 red abs), I went with Metzeler Z6's - after 8,000 miles I was still going strong front and back when I traded it in. Great, all-weather tires. I'll probably go with them again when I wear out my current set of BS BT 20's. I'm currently at 3,000 miles so it won't be long now...
No problemo mate.

Nuthin wrong with Z6's Don has them on his Sprint ST.

cheers,

·
Registered
611 Posts
Blue, welcome. Point 1 about tires cupping. I have a 2006 Sprint and I try to always check the tires before I take the bike out for a run. Just about every time both tires need air. I bought an air compressor for around $50.00. Look for deals at your local big box retail store. Look for a compressor with the air hose and adaptors included.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Great posts

Bluebecomesyou

Great first posts and very objective in your reviews of your bike/s and situation.

Wish I could be that eloquent!

I am learning to always check my tyres too - when cold, just to be sure!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...Blue Becomes You... - came from the movie...

Summer of 42, an Oscar-winning classic film from 1971. I was 13 years old then, but it must have made quite an impression on me as I still remember the line to this day (and believe me the rest of my memory ain't that good).

Tagline from the film - In everyone's life there's a "Summer of '42"

Plot: During his summer vacation on Nantucket Island in 1942, a youth eagerly awaiting his first sexual encounter finds himself developing a contradictorily innocent love for a young woman awaiting news on her soldier husband's fate in WWII - Jennifer O'Neil played the young woman.

When the kid see's Jennifer O'Neil in her blue sweater he says those immortal words...

Whoosh - that was a very good guess, however.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts