Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, recently bought my first Triumph (used 96 Tbird). I'm scratching at the garage door waiting for the weather to warm up so I can start enjoying my new ride.

When I removed the airbox cover I noticed the previous owner had removed the aux air chamber. My searching on this site tells me it's the first part of the two chamber air flow system. How critical is the aux air chamber? Anyone remove it permanently and ride w/o? Does installation of the K/N system require removal of it? My bike has a few aftermarket mods so I'm wondering that has something to do with it???

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am thinking that you wouldn't need the second chamber if you have K&N air cleaners. But, I can tell you right now, I am changing out my air box as we speak, and I am so frustrated that I could kill small furry animals right now. lol

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
It should be there, even with a K&N filter element installed. I imagine that it neing removed will have a detrimental effect.

The other problem I can see is that the seat lock bolts to the aux. air chamber, and if the lock is missing, what is holding the seat on :???:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, it doesn't have a K&N I was just thinking perhaps the previous owner had installed a system but removed it prior to selling. The seat lock is fixed to the upper portion of the aux chamber. Hopefully that doesn't go airborne at 65 mph :-D

·
Registered
481 Posts
Airflow would be negatively affected and you will probably hear more intake noise. I hate to think what Triumph wants for one but it wouldn't hurt to check. After that try finding one used. Several people on this board have modified their intake system and may have one available. You could also try some one like Baxter Cycle.

stan

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
The air box under the seat (not the filter box on the carbs) performs two functions: initial air filtration and noise suppression.

It creates a low-velocity area where particulates in the air stream (grit, water) can drop to the bottom of the box and unless you're in an area prone to dust/sand storms, it's not necessary.

Here in Minneapolis it's only useful as a nesting space for small rodents.

Installation of a K&N filter doesn't require removal of the air box since the single-inlet Classics air filter box provides more than enough restriction to limit engine performance.

Jim

·
Registered
402 Posts
If your bike is from California this box will contain the emission control filters. These bikes have a slighly different vacum line routing also. When I removed my EC filter, the name on the side of the filter was honda. I read somewhere on this sight someone converted this box to a tool box not a bad idea. :-D

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
It was me.
I have a small mesh over the hole for exclusion of field mice on the main airbox intake. The auxiliary box now cotains a tin of 'flat mate', a few cylinders of CO2, a sidestand support in the shape of the Isle of Man and a cloth to supress the rattling.
It made absolutely no detectable change in performance, the only difference was when I tried to get clever and drilled a similar size hole on the other side of the airbox. It then ran like a dog, big hole in the midrange which I fixed with duct tape. If you go the whole road with speed triple cams, etc you could do with an extra hole but the standard bike prefers just the one. :-D

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
It made absolutely no detectable change in performance, the only difference was when I tried to get clever and drilled a similar size hole on the other side of the airbox. It then ran like a dog, big hole in the midrange which I fixed with duct tape. If you go the whole road with speed triple cams, etc you could do with an extra hole but the standard bike prefers just the one.
Yep! It took me a bunch of jetting changes to get reasonable performance from the stock filter box with some extra ventilation.

I finally chucked the stock box for a Trophy filter box and with considerable dyno time I'm quite happy with the result -- and the extra 10 hp.

Jim

·
Registered
81 Posts
TOOLBOX was good idea :)

when I decided to put number panels instead of original bodywork I rided such a way for several hundred kms and I noticed no difference even with stock filter and jets...

watch it as it was (now it's becoming a sport-bike)....
REGIZ ALBUM

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
Jim:

I've been meaning to ask what you cover that thing up with! I got a hold of one, and it is big and butt-ugly! Stock covers are NOT going to hide it...

Mine is running pretty darn well with S3 cams, Mikuni's, and 1 1/2" hole in the right side of the stock box, and 115 main jets. Dyno'ed just under 90 before dropping the jets from 120 to 115... should be up there at 90 now that the flat spot is gone.

Scot

I finally chucked the stock box for a Trophy filter box and with considerable dyno time I'm quite happy with the result -- and the extra 10 hp.

Jim
[ This message was edited by: cafetbird on 2005-03-14 20:12 ]

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
I've been meaning to ask what you cover that thing up with! I got a hold of one, and it is big and butt-ugly! Stock covers are NOT going to hide it...
Well, since nobody except a Hinckley rider seems to know what a stock Triumph looks like, nobody notices!

Also, I'm thinking of going for the post-apocalypse Mad Max look... :-D

Mine is running pretty darn well with S3 cams, Mikuni's, and 1 1/2" hole in the right side of the stock box, and 115 main jets. Dyno'ed just under 90 before dropping the jets from 120 to 115... should be up there at 90 now that the flat spot is gone.
I gotta get cams. Best I've gotten is 71 @ 8000 and althought the dyno says that's good I'm thinking that there's incorrect dyno mixture compensation for the 10% Ethanol they're selling here.

And I don't care what anybody says -- yeast crap doesn't belong in my gas tank. :mad:

Jim

·
Registered
494 Posts
On 2005-03-13 21:15, jimmyj900 wrote:

Jim
Are you using using the air filter box or did you fit all the airbox tunneling that run along the side of the Trophy as well.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Are you using using the air filter box or did you fit all the airbox tunneling that run along the side of the Trophy as well.
I used just the filter box and a K&N filter without the snorkels. It's pretty much a direct fit but I trimmed the inlets back a bit for clearance and added a third inlet hole at the center for a more even airflow.

Then I spent a LOT of dyno time getting it sorted out and I'm still not entirely happy with it. Full throttle is fine but I need to work on the small throttle setup some more.

Jim

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thank you for the information. I have read most of your documentation on the Renegada yahoo groups so now at least I may save a lot of time by starting with a Trophy box.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Thank you for the information. I have read most of your documentation on the Renegada yahoo groups so now at least I may save a lot of time by starting with a Trophy box.
I don't know what your jetting will look like with the modified Trophy airbox AND the S3 cams, but I'm currently running (I think) 142 main jets and will probably go to 42 pilot jets with the FP needles on the top notch.

Start there and get some dyno time to sort it out since I don't know which way the main jets will go with the S3 cams. The increase in airflow from the cams can make a huge difference.

Jim

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I've dragged this thread back to the top since I now have a photo album on here with pictures of my airbox mod's.

look in member maintained albums vol 2, page 8.

I've covered the subject at length in another thread, but here it is in a nutshell:

pilot jets: #40, screws set 2 turns out

needles: stock but raised with a washer under each one

mains: #115

air filter: K&N in modified box (as shown in picture)

exhausts: Triumph 'off road' silencers.

result: greatly improved sound, low and mid range power, plus somewhere to keep 'get you home' puncture repair kit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts