Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have really enjoyed browsing the forum over the past couple of weeks. Unbelievable abundance of information here.

I'm looking to buy an 06/07/08 Bonneville in Silver and after a few weeks of searching for a deal, I came across this:

http://www.nationalpowersports.net/itemDetail.aspx?itemID=2955#_ctl0_ContentPlaceHolder1_detailCtrl_mainImg

I know that Kelley Blue Book lists an 07' Bonne as being valued around $6200, but that doesn't take mileage/condition into consideration.

In any case, the bike would cost about $650 to ship to me, plus CA sales tax, etc. Do you think it's a good deal? Should I be weary about buying it sight unseen?

I'm especially concerned about the mileage and exhaust bluing, which might indicate that it was ridden pretty hard for the year that the guy had it.

Any tips/advice?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Don't do it unless you can get someone to pull the ride side cover off and verify that it has 50-state emissions. CA can be a real PITA when it comes to that stuff.

Can't you find something closer than NH? Have you checked with the local dealers?

All that being said, its a nice looking bike.

Edit: I just looked at the pics again. That bike does NOT have the California-required EVAP system on it. Someone may have removed it (vacuum caps don't look stock), but this makes it very important for the 50-state emission sticker to be on the inside of the right side cover. The CA DMV really doesn't know what to look for in an inspection, but if you can show them the sticker, they're fine.

Yet another edit: The scrape by the shift lever is due to the bike being laid down on the left side. Not a big issue, but that's why its there. I know because I dropped mine on the left side and thats what happens.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I echo Pokeyjoe. CA can be a major PITA, and you run the risk of not being able to register it at all. I see ads all the time for bikes owned by transplants (not unlike myself) that had the misfortune of finding out the hard way. If the bike had 7500+ miles on it, you'd be okay.

Personally, if it were my money, I'd remain patient and try to find something local. My own patience was eventually rewarded. JMO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot guys. I have called a few dealers in Southern California but haven't had any luck finding a decently priced used model in silver.

I've checked e-bay, cycle trader, etc. Guess if I want something so specific I probably have to have some more patience.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would be very careful buying sight unseen. A buddy of mine did that with a GS 500 a few years back and ended up with a bike that barely ran, headlight held on by zip ties and a couple milk crates of spare (non-working) parts. That was off eBay from an individual but you should see any vehicle you plan on purchasing in person or have someone you know and trust take a look for you.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Thanks alot guys. I have called a few dealers in Southern California but haven't had any luck finding a decently priced used model in silver.

I've checked e-bay, cycle trader, etc. Guess if I want something so specific I probably have to have some more patience.
You are probably checking it, but don't forget Craig's List. I found an unbelievable deal ($4200 with 2400 miles, clean title) on mine by an outfit that specializes in used sport bikes and just wanted to turn it (they had literally taken it in that afternoon, and it may have been posted all of a half hour or so). Pure serendipity. Hopefully your patience will be rewarded.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
It sounds like you are set on "Silver" which is fine. I just think it would be cheaper and less hassle to find a good buy locally and paint it silver. I'm sure there are plenty of competent paint shops that can match to factory color for a few hundred $$.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi, Emj, and welcome. Regarding the bike in the link, I wouldn't bother. It's cheap but all the scratches suggest it's been down the road at some point. The ad mentions that '...the gear shifter rubs against the side cover..." Erm, what?! Why?! How?! Something's bent, either the lever itsellf or the link that goes into the gearbox. Not good.
They mention other scratches elsewhere, too; you have to wonder how careful the previous owner was...or wasn't...and what else he or she wasn't careful with.

My advice: have a little patience, buy something closer and, as someone has suggested, you can always get the tank sprayed silver or maybe even do a swap with someone.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
All good thoughts...I have an '07 [silver, coincidentally] and the bluing on the pipes of the bike you show is no more or less than mine.
$5500 is a good price; at that milage it has not yet hit its stride. I've got about 13k now and the bike runs better than ever.
Since these bikes are not generally bought by pimply-faced speed demons, it is probably not hammered at all. It looks great in the photo! But as said earlier, sight unseen is unsettling.
I had the California stuff on mine when I bought it - here in NJ. Why, I do not know, but I took it off and trashed it.
I think I'd call the guy up and chat for about 10 minutes about the bike.
Good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
buy a new one..fuel injection

My suggestion, for what it is worth, would be to buy a new fuel injected model. I have on and it is wonderful. Plus, you get the warranty and the whole nine yards.
If silver is your thing, like mine, have it painted.
Mr. Pete--->

·
Registered
12 Posts
I checked out that bike at National Powersports and was not overly impressed. You could definitely do better closer to home. However I was very impressed with their operation. A great sales staff, over 300 bikes to sit on, and they ship bikes all the time. I felt like a kid in a candy store.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts