Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It may sound ridiculous to some,but I've never owned a bike without a low fuel warning light. I realize most of you simply know how many miles your bike gets so it is not an issue, but my question is, what is it like when the main tank starts to choke and it's time to switch to reserve? This sort of concerns me since I've never run a bike down to empty.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Nothing Horrifying

My current Bonnie is EFI with fuel light, but I've had many without. When the gas in the main gets low, the bike starts to lose it get up and go. For instance, you crank open the throttle and the bike just kinda putts along (it's not like the engine suddenly stops running causing the rear wheel to lock up). When that happens, you just switch over to reserve and resume cruising towards the next gas station.

Be sure to switch back to main after filling up.

Fuel light or not, it's always good to know how much you can get out of tank and to keep an eye on the trip meter.

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
You'll know when it happens. Just be aware, so you don't pull over and wonder what went wrong. The bike starts coughing and not running right.

Most of us start looking for a gas station at around 100 miles. Reset your odometer to zero every time you fill up.

And don't leave the petcock on reserve after you fill up, or you really will run out of fuel.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
It may sound ridiculous to some,but I've never owned a bike without a low fuel warning light. I realize most of you simply know how many miles your bike gets so it is not an issue, but my question is, what is it like when the main tank starts to choke and it's time to switch to reserve? This sort of concerns me since I've never run a bike down to empty.
The bike will begin to sputter a bit, as if you're losing power. Enough time to reach down and switch to reserve if you are motorvating down the roadway. The problem exists if you are at a light or low speed turn at an intersection and it dies out.
Once you get an idea for milage until reserve, you can avoid that potential problem by making the switch earlier. I generally get to about 130 miles before reserve, so in traffic I'll go to reserve befor hat to avoid the stall.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Funny! i've never had a bike with a low fuel light until I bought the '09 Bonnie...been riding since 1964.

Dick

·
Registered
733 Posts
You could practice (like I did)..

by finding an area with no traffic (in NYC? RIGHT!!!) and simply turning your fuel off. You'll feel a distinct loss of power and misfiring which is easily remedied by turning the tap back on or to reserve.
Some of my "practices" were inadvertent as a result of my forgetting to turn it on in the first place:eek:
At any rate, you should learn to feel comfortable with finding the petcock without looking and flipping it to reserve. My bike always recovered very quickly with no ill effects.
Now I just make it a habit to fill the tank every 120 miles or so and haven't needed to hit reserve in quite some time.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Very good idea, Clyde. Yes, doing that will show the exact same conditions. Better in a test situation than when a cement mixing truck is bearing down on you, LOL!

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Will the new SE EFI have a reserve tank as well?

Thanks

Rose

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
??

why would you think it didn't have one?

I have not looked up the specs, but I would be 99.9% sure there would be a reserve tank on the 2009

Because I've never had a bike with a reserve tank, this is all new to me.

Plus how many ltrs does the tank hold our of interest, main and reserve please.

TVM

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Suzuki Maurader and boring but steady Honda CBF!!

Come on give me a rough estimate.......Lets asume I ride the bike hardish!!! how many miles am I going to get per tank........

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Suzuki Maurader and boring but steady Honda CBF!!

Come on give me a rough estimate.......Lets asume I ride the bike hardish!!! how many miles am I going to get per tank........
Ok - rough estimate:
I ride quite hard, and fill up every 160km - that way I don't get in trouble. What's that a hundred or so miles? That's far enough to need a quick break anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Ok - rough estimate:
I ride quite hard, and fill up every 160km - that way I don't get in trouble. What's that a hundred or so miles? That's far enough to need a quick break anyway.
Quick break...I'll have you know I have good bladder control!!:)

Sorry couldn't resist!!:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts