Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stripped off all the paint from the stock steel tank and hit it up with some clear. She needs a nice wet sand and maybe another coat of clear, but I couldn't wait to get her back together to see what it's gonna look like...

Used to be black with the white stripe.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
looks pretty good mate.do you have a clearer/closer shot of the tank ?

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Looks great! Good to see something different. Have you thought about doing grinds into the metal? You know, patterns?

·
Registered
317 Posts
now way man !

na, doesn't do it for me,
OMG why do that, you've ruined a good craftman's paint job ? IMO

what was wrong with the original ?
:(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I dig it! I think the simple 'heritage' badges, (with just the script, no eyebrow or window pane) Would look perfect on that tank.
:cool:

·
Registered
510 Posts
I really like it -
Gives it that 'industrial' look. Bad*ss IMO.

I agree, maybe some cool sanding patterns that are symmetrical would give it a little more character.

But nice work -

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
na, doesn't do it for me,
OMG why do that, you've ruined a good craftman's paint job ? IMO

what was wrong with the original ?
:(
Why do it? Cause I can! :p

And actually my bike is a salvage rebuild so the paint wasn't perfect to begin with. It wasn't terrible, but had a few chips/scratches and some nice staining to the clear where someone (not me) used to like to rest the gas cap on the tank while filling 'er up:confused:.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Out of curiousity, did you use any chemicals while getting the paint off, or did you simply put a little proverbial elbow grease and a sander to it?

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I forgot to mention....a Monza fuel tank cap would also add a lot to the look of the bike. I commend you for resurrecting a salvaged job.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Can't say I'm lovin the black mudguard/raw metal tank/brown seat combo. If you were to lose the front mudguard and get a greytop seat....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Out of curiousity, did you use any chemicals while getting the paint off, or did you simply put a little proverbial elbow grease and a sander to it?
I used two different sizes of 3m paint stripper wheels for a power drill that you can get at Walmart (and they are way cheaper there than the auto parts stores!). I got a large surface one (black and looks like two smaller ones stuck together), and a thinner red one that is slightly less abrasive. I also had to buy a corded drill cause my cordless' batteries wouldn't last the 3+ hours it took. And yeah I am slow...

I forgot to mention....a Monza fuel tank cap would also add a lot to the look of the bike. I commend you for resurrecting a salvaged job.

I have a new cap on order, but not the monza. I was having a hard time deciding what color to go with (black, aluminum, chrome, or brass), but am trying black for the first go.

Also I can't take credit for resurrecting her from the dead. The Previous Owner brought her back just enough to get through the DMV, and I am just making her purty again. Smashed headers was probably the worst thing I've had to fix. The rest is just minor damage and blemishes.

Can't say I'm lovin the black mudguard/raw metal tank/brown seat combo. If you were to lose the front mudguard and get a greytop seat....
I am not lovin' the black fender either. Not 100% sure on what to do with it. I'd strip it like the tank if it wasn't plastic!!! Hopefully once I figure that out it'll look more balanced.

And to the comments regarding the patterns in the metal, a buddy of mine was trying to talk me into small 1-2 inch circles with a polisher, but kinda sounded like that would require "skills" to get them lined up properly. Is that in line with what you are calling patterns?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yeah - that sounds like a 'pattern'.......

But, to be honest, the more I look at it the more I like it without a pattern though. I think it's very simple and effective. My bike is all blacked out but I considered doing this as a nice 'accent' to the rest of the bike. I have black heritage badges I would stick on there to finish er off.

Either way, I think it looks great and I commend you on having the guts to go through with it.

Cheers

·
Registered
232 Posts
i clear coated an old bmx frame out of a spray can once and it did start to rust underneath after about a month and after three it looked awfull.its a shame because i like the look you could try a proffesional clear coat if you can afford it.sanding it down twice is heartbreaking.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
And to the comments regarding the patterns in the metal, a buddy of mine was trying to talk me into small 1-2 inch circles with a polisher, but kinda sounded like that would require "skills" to get them lined up properly. Is that in line with what you are calling patterns?
it's called "engine turning"

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
It provides you with the opportunity of painting her British Racing Green :)
Ted

·
Registered
224 Posts
Get a Metal Front Fender

I am not lovin' the black fender either. Not 100% sure on what to do with it. I'd strip it like the tank if it wasn't plastic!!! Hopefully once I figure that out it'll look more balanced.

You could always purchase the factory chrome front fender from Triumph and strip/sand off the plating and junk down to bare metal. That could work.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is the best I have right now...

No sweat, man! I'm a big fan of the *shrug*. Hahaha

For what it's worth, I've never seen one like it. I think it looks pretty raw, but I'm a sucker for the brown seat. They had one on an 09 and for whatever reason it almost sealed the deal until I found a last minute deal on an '07.

Do what you do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts