Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read in the August edition of Motorcyclist Magazine that Triumph is currently working on a new touring bike to compete with the Honda ST1300 and Kawasaki Concours 14. It will be shaft drive and will bear the Trophy name. I'll be very curious to see what Triumph comes up with.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just read that little bit about a new Trophy, I can't wait to see if they do it wright (Large fuel tank,great mileage,cruise, electric shield, heated seat and grips, big power etc.... ) If so I will trade my Tiger for one

·
Registered
248 Posts
surely just another rumour plus i think hinkley is struggling to shift bikes over here with the recession balls despite having the best sports 600 on the market

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Far from having difficulty shifting bikes,the factory is running flat out and still cannot meet demand. Saw the factory "stock list" as issued to dealer recently - it was in effect an "out of stock list". Some models/colours were on 12 week+ delivery.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, surely, but it's a pity that Triumph want to be a general builder. It will be better if Triumph carry on original bikes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll wait a little longer.

I was giving serious consideration to selling my 96 900 (oldest son wants to buy it) and buying an 08 or 09 FJR 1300. Maybe I'll wait a little longer and allow the rumors of a new ST from Triumph to settle.
If indeed the rumors are true and Triumph intends to build an ST to compete with Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha in the near future my money is on the Triumph. No question. No other bike that I have owned has the looks and soul of my 900. But I'm ready for more overall performance. I'm not talking just speed. Hell my 900 goes faster than I will ever ride it. But overall performance, suspension, brakes, EFI, shaft drive etc. I hope the rumors are true. Talked to my dealer just the other day about the possibility and while he agreed that he would like Triumph to build such a bike he neither confirmed or denied the rumor.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wishes

I think the "New Trophy" should have:
EFI
Shaft Drive
Lower Center of Gravity
Better Foam (more Dense) in the seat
Analog Tach and Speedo
LCD between the Analogs; for Gas, Oil Press, Water Temp, and Voltage, Air Temp, and "Idiot Lights" (Temp, Oil, High Beam, Neutral, etc.)
KEEP THE CENTER STAND and FOLDING HANDLE
Keep the Dual Headlights
Larger LCD Turn signals and Tail lights
Easy to access servicing points to include:
Not having to de panel half the bike to check the water, or disassemble half the bike to change the air filter
Build the electrical system powerful enough and easy enough to add upgrades
Make the bike easy to upgrade, yet affordable.
Start with a base model, and a "pimped out" version (all the bells and whistles).
I like my Trophy (Hot Jet and all) because it's a good, solid Sport Tourer on Interstates and Back Roads. It handles well, and the Panniers fit the bike (not an after thought).
"Build it and they will come."
:bighand:

·
Registered
112 Posts
A screen which keeps the wind blast off would be nice, too. Although I hear the aerofoil upgrade works a treat, it doesn't look great.

Why not have exhausts with a standard bolt on plate (from the TT600 for example) so aftermarket cans would be easy to fit? No doubt the standard cans would have to be near silent to get through noise tests... Also, stainless downpipes are a worthwhile investment from the outset.

My 1983 nighthawk has a gear indicator - simple and helpful. The technology's two decades old, so why isn't it standard?

A grease nipple on the swingarm is also a must. Whichever designer left this off my 93 Trophy has hopefully been fired years ago.

·
Registered
248 Posts
incoming threat crash!

bizarrely i can't start a new thread on a quick question i have.

have the forum rules changed or something?

·
Registered
172 Posts
The current edition of Australian Motorcycle News ( AMCN) is running a story on how the new VFR replacement will be about 1000cc shaft drive and will have a touring derivitive spin off model. Same story says a number of ST1300s, FJR1300s and GTR1400s have been spotted around hinckley over the last several months. This leads to speculation about a new Trophy, man I'd love to see that

The only thing that would stop me buying one would be if they released a 1050 Daytona at the same time!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts