Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just fulfilled a lifelong dream with this:

A fully restored 1970 Trophy - not 100-percent concours original, but a very usable and great-looking bike. (I anted up for a restored example because I already have a project Series III Land Rover in pieces, and I'm not crazy enough to tackle two british project vehicles at the same time.)

Several rides have shown it to be a one- or two-kick starter. It idles perfectly with a sleeved Amal, and runs strong with a Boyer/Brandsen ignition. I love it.

I do have a couple of questions.

Due to some damage, the reach on my right hand is very short, and it is a stretch for me to operate the front brake quickly. Does anyone know of a set of shorter-reach levers that will fit this bike? At full lock the stock lever is still most of an inch from the grip, so I feel there's room for a shorter-reach lever.

Also - I live down a rough dirt road. When the front suspension unloads - i.e. hits the end of its rebound travel - over a slow bump, it does so with a pretty loud bang, as though there is little or no bump stop to cushion the fully extended fork. Is this a normal thing?

Thanks for any help.

Jonathan

·
Super Moderator
12,455 Posts
Howdy! Welcome to the forum.

That's a BEAUTIFUL bike!

Magura and Thomaselli, as well as others, make levers that have an angled blade that might help, look in the dirt bike section of your local bike shops.

The clunk on the forks is due to insufficient hydraulic rebound damping, either because of low oil level or too thin oil.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to go to the dirt bike section?

Seriously - thanks for both answers. I'll go look for those brands, and I need to check the fork oil, as it really does hit pretty hard.

The Triumph will be sort of a project bike for a magazine I edit. It will be used on several overland trips for stories, including a circumnavigation of the Grand Canyon all on back roads. That will be a fun trip.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
thank you and you suck :)

thank you cause you bought it and you suck because you bought it and i didn't :)

that bike is sweet . congrats !

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think you guys call a lower fork yoke a triple tree, I've no idea why, but hey!! Anway it's between that and the spring abutment which is where the top of the rubber fork gaiter is fitted to. Part number 82-4047

1 - 20 of 27 Posts