Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Newbie to the community, and excited new owner of a 2016 Triumph Thruxton 900.

Absolutely love Bonnevilles and been a dream to own one for many years. Thankfully it is a pretty bike, as all I can do is look at it for the moment... Was lined up to take the DAS and Tests booked for the start of April, but then came the dreaded Covid, lock-down, and cancellations until the end of June at the earliest, but who knows when.

Anyway, been long scouring the bike ads in anticipation of getting my licence, and had been in mixed mind between my heart - a Triumph Bonneville - and head, a Honda CB650R, but when I saw a mint 2016 Brooklands Green model, 1 previous owner and a nod over 1000 miles at a fantastic price, there was no passing it over, and could not be happier with the decision.

As it's my first big bike I've no plans yet to make any mods, just really looking forward to riding the bloody lovely thing!

Cheers, and hope to see you on the road soon.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Welcome to the site and Triumph ownership (y)
it's been bad enough for the rest of us not being able to ride during lockdown but even worse if you have a bike and can't take your test.
If you think about it logically it shouldn't affect bike tests anyway, you don't need to be closer than 2 metres anyway, but then when has logic or common sense come into it.:rolleyes:
I was going to say it leaves you more cleaning and polishing time but the bike looks immaculate already.

Reactions: AV4LON

·
Super Moderator
2,241 Posts
Hello, welcome to the site. Good looking bike & great choice.
I hope you find this Triumph site to be a great place to meet and talk all Triumph bikes with a great bunch of riders.

Everyone here is very willing to help with any issues or concerns with your bike. This is really a great bunch of riders very willing to help other riders.

Cruise around the different sections and find where you fit comfortably. There are tech sections for each of the many models of Triumphs and chat sections for the same. Also we have a great classifieds section that is well worth checking out.

If you want to just hang out and shoot the breeze the “Biker Hang-Out” Chat Section will be the place to stop in.

If you haven't already please fill out your profile. It helps others to know what you ride and where on the planet you are located.

I hope you enjoy the site. The moderators are here to help if you have questions or concerns. Thanks for joining the Triumph Rat Family.

Here is a link to the rules of the site and the classifieds. I recommend that you take a few minutes to read through them.

Acceptable Use Policy

Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)

Classified Ad Rules - Read first before placing Ad
https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/classifieds-rules.578169/

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Welcome to the forum @AV4LON. That is a bloody nice bike - always really liked the Brooklands Green and that stripe on the tank - nice. I know you said heart said Triumph, head said Honda, but really, that Thruxton's got both head and heart covered. Any questions, don't be afraid to ask and best of luck with the DAS
Cheers
Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys - thanks for the kind welcome.

Already learnt a lot from this forum. It's a good place to be.

Thruxton's got both head and heart covered.
You're totally right Bob. My heart is happy, which means my head is in the right place. Now desperate to get her out on the street. Looking to book an accompanied ride training day with the instructors I've booked the DAS through. Not seen one of these with Learner plates on before :)

Cheers,
Ben

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Oh that'll definitely need pics :) Any idea when they can re-schedule your DAS for? Whereabouts are you doing it? I did mine years ago up at Mallory Park and the first 2 days just riding around the paddock and then the track before hitting the road were great. That and riding past the Triumph factory :D
Cheers
Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Riding past the Triumph factory would be sweet, but sadly no where near as glamorous, Gillingham.
No news yet on when test centres will reopen - they closed for 3 months from the 20th March, so hopefully end of June - but again, imagine there'll be a backlog to get through. My MOD1 (15min slow control and maneuvers round a car park) was originally booked for 2nd April, then MOD2 (40min road riding) on the 10th.

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Pain in the bum when you've got that lovely bike sitting there, but you'll be mobile for the best of the summer and there's some lovely riding down that neck of the woods.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hey guys - thanks for the kind welcome.

Already learnt a lot from this forum. It's a good place to be.

You're totally right Bob. My heart is happy, which means my head is in the right place. Now desperate to get her out on the street. Looking to book an accompanied ride training day with the instructors I've booked the DAS through. Not seen one of these with Learner plates on before :)

Cheers,
Ben
How does it work using your own bike, can you get insurance without a licence, how do you get the bike to the training centre from home unaccompanied?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was surprised, insurance is not much difference having a licence or not. For my circumstances, insurance was only £40 a year more expensive not having a licence than if I held a licence for a year.

You can ride your own bike for the test if road legal (taxed, insured, MOT etc) but need a training instructor accompany you on the ride to the test center, or have a mate ride it there for you and you ride pillion. For the MOD 1 I'll rent a Honda CB650F through my instructors, as it handles a lot better for the slow control stuff - namely U-turn, figure 8 and slalom, so driving to the instructors office and we'll ride to the test together

For MOD 2, I'd like to ride the Triumph, as I'm setting it up for me, so the instructor will meet me at my house and we go from here.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'd always assumed you couldn't get insurance on a big bike unless you'd passed your test, but I've never tried though, you sound like you've got it all in hand. (y)
Just hope you get enough hours riding the Thruxton before your MOD 2, you don't want to be riding something unfamiliar on your test.
Hopefully you can get everything re-booked before the summer is over, and good luck with your tests, best day ever when I passed my DAS.

Reactions: AV4LON

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
That’s a beautiful bike, congratulations. I really like that color, and the stripe works perfect with it.
Get ready for a ton of compliments when you get it out on the road

·
Registered
516 Posts
Welcome to the madhouse (you're never leaving 😈😁)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts