Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2000 sprint st
started fine when i picked it up but after a 8 hour truck ride when i try to start it fires up for about 4-10 seconds (all cylinders firing and sounds just fine) then bogs down instantly
on each consecutive start it takes more cranking attemps and seems to bog out faster (always sounds good and firing on all cylinders until it bogs)
I always wait 8 secs after turn of key ,fuel pump whirls, stops then i try to start
pretty sure battery is fine - plenty of power

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried starting with cap up - no change
just found out it hadn't been started for two months before i picked it up
I'm thinking might just be bad fuel but am still hoping for any other feedback

[ This message was edited by: stwanted on 2006-12-06 21:32 ]

·
Registered
937 Posts
On 2006-12-06 20:50, stwanted wrote:
Tried starting with cap up - no change
just found out it hadn't been started for two months before i picked it up
I'm thinking might just be bad fuel but am still hoping for any other feedback
Similar thing happened a couple of times to me on my '00 - don't know if it's the same thing but sometimes the engine computer gets confused on the earlier models and the fix is a power on-off cycle that I can't remember for the life of me. Has something to do with turning on the ignition, opening the throttle wide (without starting) then turn off ignition. Anyone remember the sequence?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New member so i cant IM yet to thank you so-
thank you hopefully someone will know that sequence so i can give it a try

·
Registered
499 Posts
ST,

You mention it runs fine for 4-8 seconds then bogs and dies. Are you working the throttle or leaving it alone?

Normal sequence is to not touch the throttle.

Bern

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not touching throttle I've talked to quite a few local owners and am almost positive i'm starting properly - wait >5 secs, fuel pump whirlls very quietly, also never try to start it to many times in a row without fully recharging

thanks again bern

did you get my instant message? first time i tried to IM on triumphnet

·
Registered
937 Posts
I've been scouting Triumphnet for the ECM sequence, lot's of stuff over there but not quite what I was looking for. Try turning the ignition on (don't start it) leave on and open the throttle wide, close the throttle and turn it off. Repeat three or four times. I'm fairly sure that's what I did - can't hurt to try.

[ This message was edited by: MickSprint06 on 2006-12-07 02:34 ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts