Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a classic style bike like the bonneville.

On the webpage from my local dealer I see that the bonneville comes in different forms???

What are the differences between the

Bonneville, bonneville T100 and bonneville SE???

Is the comfort and seating position on the bonneville and scrambler the same?

Thank you for any replys:)

·
29,948 Posts
Well welcome aboard, we are glad you are here.

This is certainly the right place to find out about Bonnies, and I'm sure plenty of folks will step up.

The Bonneville and Bonneville T100 are similar, the T100 just has the frilly bits - ie tank knee pads, tachometer, some chrome stuff and pinstriping onm the tank.

The SE is the newest version, which has a 17" front wheel instead of 19", and has cast alloy wheels to boot. Paint schemes are different on the SE, with a decal tank logo vs solid badge on the others. Essentially the SE is the seventies Bonnie, the T100 the sixties bonnie - that's kind of the theme behind it all.

I'm sure plenty of folks will add some commentary. Again welcome!

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Bonneville is an awesome bike! Highly capable, very sturdy, and more than enough power to get you in trouble. Still, the Bonnie is amazingly civil and not at all intimidating for the novice rider. The stock Bonneville purrs like an English kitten, but there are endless opportunities for performance mods and cosmetic customization.

This bike is a real attention-getter to boot, and comes branded with an air of class and style. You will look cool on a Bonnie. Prepare yourself for lots of parking lot conversations with strangers.

Also, be aware that as of 2009, all Triumph bikes are fuel injected. It can be tricky to determine which model year you are looking at, as those cagey designers have disguised the fuel injection system to look like a pair of traditional carbs. You can't get much more retro than that.

I would suggest going down to your local dealer and plopping down on the Bonnie and the Scrambler to see which feels better for you. Then arrange a test ride. It will be hard NOT to sign those papers when you get back!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Bonne's

Having not riddin one since 1969 when I had my 65, I had to take a trip thru nostalgia land, & rode one. The feeling from the bike haunted me night & day for a week when I broke down & bought one. That was in 04. I thought I had lost my mind & wondered if I did the rite thing. 4 yrs now & NO regrets!! No problems either!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thank you for letting me know about the differences between the bikes.

Its snowing in my area right now, so I probably cant convince a dealer to let me test ride one :D

I might go to a dealer on friday to at least sit on some of them and just to see them in person will be great I think.

Arent there any downside to these bikes? It cant all be good :) Does it have enough power, bad seat, bad brakes or suspension or anything else? I hope there are no downsides :D

They are such beautiful bikes one would go great in the garage next to my bmw r1150gs adventure

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I just procured my '07 T100 a couple of months ago. I've had a lot of bikes, but don't recall ever being so completely content and happy - whichever model you choose, I suspect you'll love it. It's just a great bike to ride. :cool:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I love my 07 bonnie more than any bike I've owned in 38yrs of riding. There aren't really any "down" sides to it, but a few issues that may pop up. For every day riding it's just about perfect. If you start to push it you may find the power a little lacking for an 865cc bike. This can be helped with airbox, carb jetting and exhaust. If you go to the dark-side like many here you can upgrade bore, stroke, compression and cams. The front suspension is a bit mushy, and can be upgraded to progressive springs for under $125.00. If you buy one with the spoke rims make sure you check them on occassion. Last little thing is the stock seat is a board, but I've heard they did some design changes on the 09 so it may be better. I don't think any of the things I've listed are a big deal, and most bonnies don't experience any negative issues. Just buy it, it's the most fun you can have on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This bike is a real attention-getter to boot, and comes branded with an air of class and style. You will look cool on a Bonnie. Prepare yourself for lots of parking lot conversations with strangers.
While filling up the other day i had a wonderfull conversation with an elderly gentlemen, must have been easily in his 90's. anyway he kept circling the bike for comparisons too what he was riding in the day.
when i finally broke down and told him mine was a 09 with FI. The first thing he said :)Are you sure it has carbies,and how he wished they were like that in his day.So a quick fuel stop almost cost me 1 hour of my day. always leave early;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While filling up the other day i had a wonderfull conversation with an elderly gentlemen, must have been easily in his 90's. anyway he kept circling the bike for comparisons too what he was riding in the day.
when i finally broke down and told him mine was a 09 with FI. The first thing he said :)Are you sure it has carbies,and how he wished they were like that in his day.So a quick fuel stop almost cost me 1 hour of my day. always leave early;)
I think that is cool. Isnt that one of the reasons we ride. Talking to other riders and in your case ex-riders is a big part of the biker-world I think. Im sure triumph classics are big attention getters :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
bonnie

I bought a scrambler at the start of the year and love it. Its a bit higher than a stock bonnie, the other main difference is it has a 270 motor so it makes more torque earlier at the expense of top end. This engine is also used in the cruisers.

To be honest its probably too close in style to your beemer, a stock/t100/thruxton would be a fabulous addition.

Cheers
Clive

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be honest its probably too close in style to your beemer, a stock/t100/thruxton would be a fabulous addition.

Cheers
Clive
Hmm good point I didnt really think of that.

What type of riding gear do you guys use when riding you triumph? classic style or the latest modern style?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I wear the same gear I have always ridden with (conspicuous Rocket jacket, Arai helmet, etc). It's not the cool Triumph-look stuff, and I get busted by the Fashion Police often. They're bastards here in Orange County, particularly in Newport Beach.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Bonne's

The Scram isa soso attempt @ creating the past. I (personally think) it isnt as good as the plain Bonne? IF you are gonna do some LITE off road- or dirt roads, then it will be better for ya than a STD Bonne. There are a lot of things to look at- 270 vs 360, handling (they both need work but handle different/ clearance, & what your gonna use it for. My 04 has had- new tires, brakes & a battery thats it! I feel if Triumph had gone w/ a smaller cc engine geared, & LIGHTER they woulda had a winner w/ the scram. Rite now (to me) it looks nice?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got a brand spankin new bonnie a few weeks ago and am truly as happy as I can be about it, great fun :D whatever you choose I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I've had several people tell how sweet the bike looks etc... I'm absolutely in love.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I get busted by the Fashion Police often. They're bastards here in Orange County, particularly in Newport Beach.:rolleyes:
And, they probably also don't approve of your "non-BMW" mode of transportation! :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
hey guys, speaking of clothing, what kinda boots are those used by Rockers...
they are similar to Engineer boots, but for some reason, they seems bulgier...
looked @ all different type of booths and they all seem narrow in the toe area and i dont think its the steel toe making it thicker looking..seems the entire booth is thicker.
anything will be better than my chuck taylors!
I know exactly what you are talking about. I looked at engineer boots a year or so ago. I found that the Frye's seemed a little wider to me. I didn't get any so I can't say anything about how they wear, but for the price I would hope it is pretty good.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Bonne Clothing

I guess I am a rebel of sorts? I wear (on hot days) cutoffs, Nike sneaks, & a nice Trimph T-shirt. When really cold here- I wear nice jeans, t-shirt & my (wonderful lucky find) Arizona jeans Dacron/Nylon whatever riding jacket- Waterproof, fleece lined (& warm/ hot) multi pockets for everything, cinch wrists & waist, wrap around collar to your mouth, & in the collar - a light nylon hood (under the zipper)- never used, but would be handy on an iron but gig! It was 1 of those lucky finds @ JC Pennys (only one my size).I never go in that store cept that 1 day! They had a sale the next day so I hid it in the middle of the rack till the next day. It matches the bike & my helmet! Like riding in a ziploc! & it on sale orig $139- $39!! The best ridin jacket I EVER had & I have been ridin for 45 yrs! Light weigjht & VERY warm!! Here the weather changes like the time- cold as hell , then time for shorts by lunch in the winter. The jacket is light weight & can be rolled real easy & under the bungys. 1 of my big finds!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
hey guys, speaking of clothing, what kinda boots are those used by Rockers...
they are similar to Engineer boots, but for some reason, they seems bulgier...
looked @ all different type of booths and they all seem narrow in the toe area and i dont think its the steel toe making it thicker looking..seems the entire booth is thicker.
anything will be better than my chuck taylors!
Thomas cook used to make nice looking engineer boots.Hard to find now.Carolina Steel Toe 16" Engineer Boots(1)Double H 12" Engineer Boot (2) look pretty decent.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
British bike = British boots.
Dr Martins. In cherry red of course.:D
Thats what I wear as a short boot.Long boots I wear a harness style.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok guys who other than triumph themselves makes parts, exhausts and goodies for the bonneville.

The more I look at the "plain" bonneville the more I like it at the more I think thats the one to for.

Im 6 feet tall and weigh 205 lbs. Would the seating position still be allright for me?

I think the standard handlebar looks a little tall. Is it? or is it the way it should be?

If not what type of bars do you use instead.

The thruxton looks awsome as well, but that seating position with the racing handlebars is just to extreme for the kind of riding I want to do.

Thiumph rocks :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts