Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been watching this dealership for a couple years (www.southernpowersports.com). i actually sent a good buddy of ming down there (to Chatanooga Polaris, Victory, triumph) a couple years ago for his speedy and he saved over $1000 on his ride. i sold my honda shadow sabre last fall and have been looking really hard at a 2006 America (two tone gray). has anybody had any experience delaing with this dealer. i am almost to the point of purchasing through them and having three items added before i take delivery. 1. Sceptre Exhaust from Team Triumph (www.rideteamtriumph.com). 2. Airbos replacement kit (The Freak). and 3. AI plug kit. I am new to Triumphs, my buddy and his dad love thiers (speedy and america respectively). Any straight up advice would be greatly appreciated. I was riding an 1100 Sabre - will i be disappointed in the lighter bike with less cc's . thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Got rid of my FXDXT and got a Bonneville T100 from that dealership had A/I removed, Bub pipes put on, uniflow air filter put in, jetted, and fork boots put on before I picked it up. Still wound up paying under list by a good bit so the 160 mile trip to Chattanooga [there is a dealer about 25 miles from me] was worth it to me. Have taken it back to them for the 500 mile check up good bunch of people to deal with. As far as lighter and any disappointment in cc's you might have, I don't and I went from 1450 to 865. In over 40 years of riding it would be easier to tell you what bikes I haven't had than what I have. The lightness and ride ability of this bike are excellent. Ride all day Harley would be a better choice but a Gold Wing would even be better. For what most people use a bike for this is an excellent choice and you won't see one on every corner.
Buy and enjoy.
Todd

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome to the board... I just recently purchased an 04' America myself and have loved the bike thus far. If anything I'm more amazed then anything. Like yourself I was concerned about power as I came off of a Honda ST1100 and before that owned a honda nighthawk 750. I couldn't flatfoot the ST and it weighed 740lbs dry w/ a 7.5 gal gas tank you can imagine how heavy that got on my tip-toes. After 2.5 yrs of dealing with that and a baby on the way (no more long trips for awhile) I decided to sell the ST and get something a bit smaller and cruiserish. Coming off the ST i was worried about both power and vibration myself. All the twins I looked at and rode by other manufactors had quite a bit of vibration which is typically the nature of a v-twin. So I looked at the paralell twins to see if that would change the amount of vibration.

I had looked at the VTX and also the Shadows since both of my other bikes were Honda's. My wife had bought a Shadow 750 and I rode that a bit and was surprisingly disappointed. The looks were there but the bike wasn't quite what I thought it would be. When I test rode a speedmaster last year that pretty much sold me on the Triumphs. Then I found a used america a month ago and jumped at it since the price was right and it's pretty much just a chromed speedmaster with a few differences. I'm still getting use to being able to flatfoot the bike (have slammed my foot into the ground several times thinking I had further to go..haha) and the weight is incredibly nice. Yes there have been a few pucker moments partially due to me being use to riding in a standard position, but also because the bike seems so light and flickable as well. Just like learning to ride any new bike, you've gotta get use to it, take it to a parking lot and play around to see just what the bike is capable of, etc. Whether you decide to go with an America or Speedmaster I'm sure that you won't be disappointed with the decision. Honda makes some fantastic bullet proof bikes. But I think you'll be extremely surprised by all that either of those two bikes have to offer powerwise, smoothness, weight, and handling. Not to mention everyone loves a Triumph (the name alone is classic) :-D

~Joe

[ This message was edited by: code on 2006-04-10 19:56 ]

·
Registered
130 Posts
I live in Chattanooga and bought my 04 T100 from them. Price wise they can't be beat. Service wise (based on past experience) I will never let them touch my bike again.

If I need authorized (warranty) Triumph service I ride/trailer the bike to Destination in Knoxville. The people at Destination are great mechanics and also riders. About the only thing the folks in Chattanooga ride are the 4 wheelers when they put them out in the parking lot.

My .02 for what it's worth.

Ric

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sounds like you three are ready to start your own Rat Pak... I've heard both good and bad about this dealer. Always, their prices are good. Usually the best you will find. I have heard also, not to expect much as far as service goes. That said, I can't comment on the ability of their technicians.

Do you or your buddies have any "wrenching skills"? If you do, you will be able to handle pipes, Freak, and most any shop work outside of cracking the engine case open yourselves. Get a decent bike lift at Sears & a set of metric sockets and Allen wrenches and you'll be home free.

You'll easily pay for these things with the savings from installing accessories & your first couple of oil changes if you were to have the dealer do the work.

BTW, I think some people will tell you to get your bike broke in before pulling the airbox. I think part of the fun having Freaked my own bike was the thrill I got realizing how much better it made my bike. You need to ride with the airbox a bit first so you can really feel the difference.

Probably nothing wrong with swapping the pipes out right away, just make sure they rejet the carbs if you have the dealer do it. The bikes are set-up lean from the factory & changing the pipes will make it even more lean, which is probably not a good way to break in your motor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks to you all for your replies, you have convinced me more to buy a Triumph and more importantly, have made me stop and consider a few things that I should not rush into before the bike is broken in. I have some wrenching abilities, but i have to be honest here - CARBS SCARE the ***** out of me, mainly because I have never worked on carbs - I would love to rejet my own bike, etc. the airbox and pipe install would not bother me, jus tthose doggone carbs. any info or websites that you could point me to that would walk me through rejetting etc would be much appreciated.

thanks again - this forum is great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts