Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not new to bikes - just Triumph. I expect tomorrow I will take possession of a 2001 Sprint ST with 17k miles on it. It's all stock and very, very clean.

I expect I'll spend lots of time reading this forum, but if there's anything I know about everything I've ever known, I run across things eventually that I wish I'd known to begin with.

All I know now is I love this bike and it has great reviews.

·
Registered
509 Posts
They are much more fun to ride than to read about.

Take possession, then disappear into the middle distance for a couple of days to bond with the new machine.

Take some money and maybe a credit card and a change of underwear. The bike was made for this kind of stuff, it will love you for it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Change of underwear... Check. Is that just for the first trip or ought one always keep a fresh pair when riding a Sprint?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Steelshepherd,

I'll pitch it before the Mods come in...

Please read the 'New Member' sticky, and kindly follow the requests therein.

Or words to that effect.

Regarding the bike, 36 - 38 in the front, 38 - 40 in the back, 89 or better in the tank, and RIDE!

They don't show it on a dyno, but they seem to come alive at about 5500 rpm. And they howl when they get there.

If you are largish, you will want to dial the rear all the way up, and add a good bit tot he front preload. Directions are in the Owners Manual.

Enjoy!

pr

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
Welcome SteelShepherd from Dave and Don

Thank you Pushrod you beat me to it!:D

Welcome Steelshepherd I hope you enjoy the forum there is a lot of information here and in the Technical Blog section and also in the sub forum here at the top of the page "Maintenance Tips and Tricks"

The bikes are awesome.

Like the guys said, ride it some more and your smile will grow wider.

BTW Pushrod that is a max of 36psi in your front.

Cheers
DaveM

·
Registered
49 Posts
Congratulations

I just recently purchased a 2001 myself and love it. A couple of things to think about.... Frame Sliders It happened to me and happened to a couple others here in this Forum. Hopefully it will never happen to you, but Sliders will/ may help you save at least 300+ bucks if you ever resurface the plastic by accident.

Another thing you may notice is that when you start the bike and just take off, it could be a real pain in the butt to shift. I'm not sure if this is Sprint/Triumph specific but the wet Clutch Shares the engine oil and atleast on mine it doesn't want to play nice until it's had a chance to warm up. I am running Mobil 1 in the bike but I have heard that others run a blend. Im sure there are pros and cons on this Maybe someone else will chime in on this with more experience.

The bike is awesome lot's of torque through out and it has a real nice throaty sound when you change the silencer. If you plan to run with Bags and also change the muffler make sure with the mfgr that the silencer mounts with Bags in mind. I didn't ask that, bought a 2Bros Ti and even though I love the sound of the pipe Im left with having to figure out how to make it work.

Enjoy and Be safe!

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
Social Samurai,

I know you are new to the forum but this is a very well documented subject here :).

Your bike should not be difficult to shift when first starting off unless your bike is still pretty new.

The gearboxes on these are fine, they are not Suzuki GSX R slick but they move freely once they have done a few miles but may require a more positive boot action than some of the lighter Japanese g'boxes.
Like the engines on these triples they do stay tight for a while and get better with more miles.

If you are having the trouble you mentioned and your bike has more than say 10,000kms then either you should change to a different oil (some oils shift better than others especially when cold) or adjust your gear lever because that is not right.

I am not going to start an oil thread but one of the reasons I have been using Motul (semi or full sytnthetic) m/c oils for well over a decade is because in all my bikes they have given very smooth shifts, it is one sign of a good oil.

DaveM:HappySidecar

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My advice is just ride it! and smile. :D

·
Registered
999 Posts
Social Samurai,

Your bike should not be difficult to shift when first starting off unless your bike is still pretty new.

The gearboxes on these are fine, they are not Suzuki GSX R slick but they move freely once they have done a few miles but may require a more positive boot action than some of the lighter Japanese g'boxes.
Like the engines on these triples they do stay tight for a while and get better with more miles.

If you are having the trouble you mentioned and your bike has more than say 10,000kms then either you should change to a different oil (some oils shift better than others especially when cold) or adjust your gear lever because that is not right.

DaveM:HappySidecar
Dave,

I have the same thing happening with my 2001 ST. By the time I hit the main road from my house (1.5 miles) the problem is gone plus it only seems to happen from the first gear to second gear shift.

Other than that the bike is dead solid perfect.

Gerry

·
Registered
999 Posts
I just recently purchased a 2001 myself and love it. A couple of things to think about.... Frame Sliders It happened to me and happened to a couple others here in this Forum. Hopefully it will never happen to you, but Sliders will/ may help you save at least 300+ bucks if you ever resurface the plastic by accident.

Another thing you may notice is that when you start the bike and just take off, it could be a real pain in the butt to shift. I'm not sure if this is Sprint/Triumph specific but the wet Clutch Shares the engine oil and atleast on mine it doesn't want to play nice until it's had a chance to warm up. I am running Mobil 1 in the bike but I have heard that others run a blend. Im sure there are pros and cons on this Maybe someone else will chime in on this with more experience.

The bike is awesome lot's of torque through out and it has a real nice throaty sound when you change the silencer. If you plan to run with Bags and also change the muffler make sure with the mfgr that the silencer mounts with Bags in mind. I didn't ask that, bought a 2Bros Ti and even though I love the sound of the pipe Im left with having to figure out how to make it work.

Enjoy and Be safe!
I have a 2001 ST also and have the same opinions as SS. +1 on the Sliders (learned the hard way, actually $425 for a new mid fairing), ditto on the sticky shift.

SS If I wasn't so lazy I'd take a picture of how my dealer mounted my TRB M2 without interfering with the support frame for the hard bags. Perhaps tomorrow. Basically a spacer to move a bit closer to the tire and a bit of something to drop it a bit. Works like a charm.

Sure do love this bike!!

Gerry

·
Registered
49 Posts
SteelShepard,

I think you will most likely have nothing but pure enjoyment with your new purchase. I have been very pleased since picking up my 2001. You will definitely notice a difference in the way the bike handles if you have ridden mostly on Japanese bikes. The steering is a tad heavier than on some of the Japanese bikes I have ridden in the past so allow yourself some extra time before you really get into the throttle. I know you said you are not new to riding neither was I but the Sprint was a different and much finer breed of bike.

As far as mods go I would definitely change the exhaust and if you ride on the highway alot do yourself and your neck a favor pick up an extended fairing. I have one on my bike, yes it doesnt look as sporty as the stock but at 80 my head is not getting buffeted as much as it would on the stock screen. Other mods well thats definitely up for debate. The Sprint is pretty perfect just as it is.

Youll have to let us know about your first impressions when you have a chance. Best of luck:D

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
Dave,

I have the same thing happening with my 2001 ST. By the time I hit the main road from my house (1.5 miles) the problem is gone plus it only seems to happen from the first gear to second gear shift.

Other than that the bike is dead solid perfect.

Gerry
What oil are you using Gerry?

I suggest a change may remedy your problem, or a clutch adjustment, despite the fact that your experience is like Social Samurai's that in itself does not make it normal.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 2001 ST also and have the same opinions as SS. +1 on the Sliders (learned the hard way, actually $425 for a new mid fairing), ditto on the sticky shift.
Sure wish I'd read this about the sliders. Also wish I'd known about the rear wheel bearing problem.

I just broke my left foot when the rear wheel locked up in a low speed left turn into a parking lot on clean pavement. There rear wheel completely locked and I was down in an instant. Mine isn't in the affected VIN range, but I still think the rear bearing seized.

I was wearing full CyclePort Kevlar gear so not even a bruise anywhere. Actually, any well padded gear would have done the deal as I was going so slow that neither the gear or my boot are scuffed. I basically stopped when I hit the pavement and the bike slid about 2 feet.

I need a new left side, maybe front, and left pannier.

Ugh!!! This is the first time in over 20 years that I've bought a ride of any kind that I've been excited to own. Now I can't even ride it till my foot heals.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
... if you ride on the highway alot do yourself and your neck a favor pick up an extended fairing. I have one on my bike, yes it doesnt look as sporty as the stock but at 80 my head is not getting buffeted as much as it would on the stock screen...

Youll have to let us know about your first impressions when you have a chance. Best of luck:D
I have lots of time now since I'm off work for a bit, resting my broken foot.

I love the bike!!! It is certainly heavier steering than I expected, but I wasn't looking for a nimble little thing that flips through turns. I'm used to a cruiser feel, so I expected a big change just due to the forward lean.

This bike certainly is very happy to go over the speed limit. On cruisers, I've always felt like the speed limit was plenty fast for me. The Sprint ST feels like I MUST be going too slow when the speedo says 80, 90... I'm certainly holding back a thoroughbred to stay legal. The only mod on it is a Throttlemeister and I realized the need for that already.

I love the sound, especially that sub rumble when slowing down. The idle note has a bit of a diesel ring too it - fascinating - hope it's not a problem. I don't yet have a normal to compare it to.

I love the ergonomics, though I do need to get my neck muscles used to the new position.

There's a bit of vibration and noise that I don't like if I let clutch out under 2k rpm. Not sure if it's normal, but the noise doesn't sound quite right to me.

The suspension is much better than I expected - well isolating me from railroad tracks and such - yet still a good feel. I will probably adjust the front preload as the dive on braking is more abrupt than I'm comfortable with. Maybe it's also a brake pad issue?

I probably will get a higher windscreen as I will be spending a lot of time at highway speeds and I did notice buffeting. Interestingly, audible wind noise is higher if I duck behind the screen than If I'm up in the wind. Apparently the turbulence under the base of the helmet causes it. This may be more due to my helmet than the bike.

I haven't really pushed it in turns yet, but what I've done feels silky smooth and steady.

I love the manageability of power. I haven't really wound it up as I prefer lower rpms and hate that sport bike whine...

The right side of it is still gorgeous. Crazy gorgeous.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts