Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 800 roadie with 4500 miles huffs and puffs and clicks and whines. I love it all. Justs finished a 2600 mile trip to New Mexico and it performed flawlessly. Even the Scorpion Trails are wearing well. I love this bike. I ran it hard and it was very comfortable. I was surprised to not notice the seat at all. 125 miles between stops was no problem. Fuel mileage varied from 40mpg running 75-80mph with kansas crosswinds, to 57mpg in the mountians. Overall average was 46.7mpg. My number one complaint is the speedo error. Is this gov't mandated? What a shame to have all that digital precision only to intentionally add about 7% error. The odometer is dead on so I know this is a scaling issue. Comments?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Glad you are enjoying the T800, it is, indeed, an excellent all- around motorcycle. I just noticed the magnitude of the speedo error last week on a 200 mile ride through varying speed limits and roads. I suppose it is a bit of a license saver, but would prefer accuracy.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Welcome to the world of Tiger 800's! I have a 2011 roadie that I bought around the 1st of April this year. It had only 131 miles on it, but I got a nice discount just the same. No long trips for me yet, so I've not even hit 4000 miles yet.

I've added my Garmin Zumo 550 to the bike and notice the spedometer error right away. I also noticed a slight discrepancy in the odometer, as I get between 1.8 and 2.3 miles difference between the bike's odometer and the GPS' fuel guge odometer for each tank of fuel I go through. It's not a huge number being less than 1% error, but one of them must be wrong...or both.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
How much of a variation are you guys seeing with the speedo and GPS?

At 30 MPH on the GPS my speedo reads about 32 MPH, at 60 MPH, about 63 MPH, at 95 MPH, about 100 MPH. Really not that much of a difference, IMO.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts

At 30 MPH on the GPS my speedo reads about 32 MPH, at 60 MPH, about 63 MPH, at 95 MPH, about 100 MPH. Really not that much of a difference, IMO.
My results have been pretty much the same as yours. Nothing atypical. There are always some variances and tire wear, temperature, pressure, vehicle load, etc. also factor in. But speedo's are calibrated to never indicate a speed lower than actual speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
120 Posts
My results have been pretty much the same as yours. Nothing atypical. There are always some variances and tire wear, temperature, pressure, vehicle load, etc. also factor in. But speedo's are calibrated to never indicate a speed lower than actual speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle
It's a conspiracy I tell you! :) I think that every bike I have ever owned was always a bit slower in reality than the speedometer actually stated.

sort of like jeans... why is it that a pair of 36 levi's seems to slip off of you, and the same size in dockers cant be buttoned !

:eek:

good luck with the bike!!

Tom

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
It's a conspiracy I tell you! :) I think that every bike I have ever owned was always a bit slower in reality than the speedometer actually stated.
That's true. Speedometers almost always read slightly faster than your actual speed, within a narrow allowable margin.

I can't speak to the rest of the world, but in the US speedometers cannot have an error of more than 5%. At 60MPH that would be an error of 3 Mph, which is what TheLuggage and I are finding. Speedo reads 63Mph, while actual speed is 60 according to GPS.

Edmunds.com mentions that tire brands and air pressure can cause tire diameters to vary, which may lead to an erroneous speedometer. So if you are finding an error outside of that 5% margin, sometimes it is tough to pin the blame on the manufacturer. They may argue the findings, if you are not running the stock tires and stock recommended tire pressures, that the increased error of margin in your speedometer readings is your fault, rather than theirs and recommend you only run stock tires at manual recommended psi. However, if you are running stock tires at factory recommended psi, and find a speedo error of more than 5%, it would definitely be worth mentioning and having rectified.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Good to hear you're enjoying your Tiger.

THe speedo issue is common on bikes. Euro, Asian, even US made. All the bikes I've had have been off just a bit. I use the GPS for setting an accurate speed.

·
Registered
689 Posts
That's true. Speedometers almost always read slightly faster than your actual speed, within a narrow allowable margin.

I can't speak to the rest of the world, but in the US speedometers cannot have an error of more than 5%. At 60MPH that would be an error of 3 Mph, which is what TheLuggage and I are finding. Speedo reads 63Mph, while actual speed is 60 according to GPS.

Edmunds.com mentions that tire brands and air pressure can cause tire diameters to vary, which may lead to an erroneous speedometer. So if you are finding an error outside of that 5% margin, sometimes it is tough to pin the blame on the manufacturer. They may argue the findings, if you are not running the stock tires and stock recommended tire pressures, that the increased error of margin in your speedometer readings is your fault, rather than theirs and recommend you only run stock tires at manual recommended psi. However, if you are running stock tires at factory recommended psi, and find a speedo error of more than 5%, it would definitely be worth mentioning and having rectified.
Not trying to start an argument here, but apparently the US forgot to tell Kawasaki about the 5% maximum. My KLR reads almost exactly 10% higher than actual speed ( as checked out on 2 seperate garmins & calculated several times on mile markers on interstates ) On my KLR forum there is a thread which numerous members state theirs read from 7% to 10% high.

My TEX speedometer reads 3-4% high according to my Garmin. My Triumph dealer tells me there is no fix for the discrepancy. I don't understand when it's controlled by the ECU, why there can't be a simple fix...

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
Not trying to start an argument here, but apparently the US forgot to tell Kawasaki about the 5% maximum. My KLR reads almost exactly 10% higher than actual speed ( as checked out on 2 seperate garmins & calculated several times on mile markers on interstates ) On my KLR forum there is a thread which numerous members state theirs read from 7% to 10% high.

My TEX speedometer reads 3-4% high according to my Garmin. My Triumph dealer tells me there is no fix for the discrepancy. I don't understand when it's controlled by the ECU, why there can't be a simple fix...
I understand what you are saying. You are definitely not the first person who has reported that their speedomoter reads more than a 5% margin of error. But the info I mention from Edmunds, is actually from from the 1997 federal standard in the United States for speedometer readings, which allows for a maximum 5% error (I believe at 50mph?).

That is not to say every manufacturer properly follows it, or that every sample passes the required standard. My guess is that they do a random sampling of speedometers, much like helmet testing. I mean they obviously don't test every single helmet to make sure it meets DOT/SNELL, otherwise they would never get one out the door haha. I am guessing they don't test every single speedometer with the vehicle it is being set up on.

I am definitely *not* a lawyer. But it would seem to me that if you have a speedometer that fails to meet the federal standard, that you should be able to force the manufacturer to replace it under warranty?

Edit: I would guess the effort and expense of proving it doesn't meet the federal standard would likely be on you dime unfortunately.

Edit: Actually, while looking deeper into it, it would also seem that the Federal Standard applies mostly to commercial vehicles and does not specifically mention motorcycles. So they may in fact be exempt from the standard.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I do appreciate the info, but even if there were a recourse, as you said it wouldn't be worth the expense & effort. After 5 years I've grown quite accustomed to it and it really is no big deal anymore...

Ride safe Cuchulainn. :doublethumb

·
Registered
2 Posts
i just bought aTiger 800 XC and the speedo is only about 5% off which is better than my Gold wing. I would tell you that your Zumo 550 which I have be careful on the odometer. You need to make sure that the Zumo has locked onto the sats and the map is starting to work or you can lose several miles every time you start.

I have had my wing odometer checked for a ralley last year. and it is more accurate than the speedo. with the odometer the Zumo is accurate if it is locked on. on my iron butt rides I leave it on all the time.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
.My TEX speedometer reads 3-4% high according to my Garmin. My Triumph dealer tells me there is no fix for the discrepancy. I don't understand when it's controlled by the ECU said:
There is a fix. Get a speedohealer.
Had one on my Speed Triple to compensate for the lower gearing.
You can program the percentage into the device depending how far off your speedometer is.
3% isn't enough to worry about though in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

That's just about the difference between my car speedo and the GPS.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Speedometer error in the past was caused by mechanical variations in analog instruments. This is not the case today in digital speedometers. Speed is distance over time. The only variation then would be distance measurement due to diameter variations in tires. As I stated, my odometer is dead on. It agrees with highway sign posts and the trip meter on my gps. Since time is not a variable at this speed, then the speedo is PROGRAMMED to read faster than the machine is going. This is unacceptable. Shame on Triumph.

BTW. There is plenty of room on the instrument panel to display total mileage. I hate having to stop,scroll through the settings, or shut down and restart just to see my total miles. I'm one who likes to see the numbers roll over. I don't like finding out that I passed the 20,000 mark earlier in the day and missed taking a picture or making a mental note about where it occurred. I'll bet this gets addressed in later models. Probably when they make the mph, mpg, miles to empty letters larger and put the buttons on the handlebars.

·
Super Moderator
2,808 Posts
At first I was bothered by the instruments not showing the mileage as I rode. Now I could care less, watching the miles roll would just remind me that it depreciates more and more as the miles increase.

I don't worry about the speedometer either. I know it adds a few mph, I just factor it in as I ride. No big deal to me. Most of the time I have my GPS on the bike so I usually just look at that for the speed.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
At first I was bothered by the instruments not showing the mileage as I rode. Now I could care less, watching the miles roll would just remind me that it depreciates more and more as the miles increase.

I don't worry about the speedometer either. I know it adds a few mph, I just factor it in as I ride. No big deal to me. Most of the time I have my GPS on the bike so I usually just look at that for the speed.
I could've wrote the same thing, as I feel the same way and do the same things.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts