Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2006 America and looking to get a larger bike. The local dealership has a 2014 Thunderbird. For anyone have input on things I may need to look for with this model?

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Test ride it. It’s a lot more bike than the America. Mileage? Tires? Some people have experienced “piston slap”, which is a noise. I didn’t have it when my engine was a 1600 or after I converted it to 1700. When I sold my 2012 T-Bird, the buyer, who lived in Canada, asked my dealer to do an inspection of my bike, at his expense. There was a check list. Your dealer should agree to do this. Ask the dealer about getting parts if you need repairs. OEM accessories won’t be available. However, rumor has it that Triumph is bringing back the Storm, LT and Commander.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has around 7,900 miles and the tires look good. I would have to ride it for sure, never ridden a bike that large but that's what I want to graduate to. I will have to research the piston slap thing so I'll know what to listen for.

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Has around 7,900 miles and the tires look good. I would have to ride it for sure, never ridden a bike that large but that's what I want to graduate to. I will have to research the piston slap thing so I'll know what to listen for.
Low mileage. I assume this piston slap thing is obvious. My T-Bird was smooth. No weird noises.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The piston slap issue is most noticeable under light acceleration. Mine is most noticeable about 35-40 mph in 4th gear and then lightly accel if it's there it will be noticeable. You will be able to hear it better if a bike has a windshield. I've put 20k on it with the clack. It hasn't gotten any worse and the power remains the same.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
My tbird storm was a 2011 I think and it made some really weird noises, just non mechanical ticks totally out of rythm with the engine rpm's, very disturbing. Another note. I'm religious about ONE thing, oil changes. I did a round trip chicago to atl city and back 800 miles each way, running amsoil 20w50 with 250 miles left on my return trip I heard the engine's mechanical noises above my earbuds turned all the way up! I pulled them off and was terrified at how loud the metal on metal noise was! I swear I could hear every single part in that engine screaming. I pulled over, checked the oil level it was fine, i felt for metal shavings and could find none so I plugged my buds back in strapped the lid on and finished the trip. There was less than 2000 miles on the oil but when I changed it as soon as I got home the noises returned to normal. The bike was still under warranty so I bought an extended, but still couldn't shake my feeling of riding a time bomb. I cashed in the warranty and traded for an R3 a couple weeks later.

I put 14,000 miles on that bike in 10 months! by far my favorite bike ever, BUT I don't know if I would recommend it for long days at 85 mph.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love my America but I want a larger bike for long trips. I want to stay with Triumph if this model doesn't have any chronic problems. I may buy this T-Bird and see how it does.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My Thunderbird can make some odd noises from time to time but I don’t even notice anymore. A ff helmet with a Sena will take care of that. Haha. But I’ve yet to read about an engine imploding. Of course, someone will now post that theirs blew up!

Anyway, I think they are great bikes and a steal in the used market. I had a 14 Storm and now a own a 15 Storm. I had some hard start issues with the 14 but none with the 15. And I had a really unique crack develop in the frame of the 14 which led Triumph to swap it out under warranty for a new ‘15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
I love my America but I want a larger bike for long trips. I want to stay with Triumph if this model doesn't have any chronic problems. I may buy this T-Bird and see how it does.
Did you ride it yet? I test drove a soft tail and a Victory, then the TBird. No comparison.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The stepper motor was a weak link on my ‘14 if I recall correctly. Mine was replaced once, maybe twice, in an attempt to alleviate my hard start issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts