Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am new to the site, and after reading several posts for several days, decided to join up.

I am a few days away from making a decision on a new bike purchase. I am leaning towards the 2009 phantom blk Sprint ST (NON-ABS). I am also considering the 2009 Speed Triple. I test drove an America, and although its a great bike with lots of character, it lacked power and it definately needed a sixth gear.

So, I tought I would ask the guys (and girls) who own these bikes for some advice.

I just moved to Huntsville, Al, and would be doing mostly around town and a little back road riding. Maybe an occasional day trip, but wouldnt buy the bike specificaly for that.

I have owned: Kaw vulcan 750 (my first bike back in the day), Kaw ZZR 1200 (awesome bike), sportster 883, and a suzuki intruder 1500 (big ole cruiser).

I was undecided between cruiser vs sport, but think both the sprint or speed triple would be a good decision.

Here are some of the things that I am looking for your advice on:

Sprint vs Speed Triple

rider comfort (seating position)
power (type of power: torque vs acceleration)
around town cruising
passenger comfort for the occasional passenger
reliability
major dislikes

Think I will post this in the speed triple section also.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Sprint vs Speed Triple

rider comfort (seating position)
Certainly different, as the ST will cant you forward to a degree, versus the more vertical positioning of the Speedie. Similar ergos from the hips to the footpegs- I'm 6' even and very comfortable on both bikes. The small flyscreen option for the Speedie will help with managing air currents. I have the gel seat on my '08 ST, and had a Sargent- reconfigured seat on my Speedie so there's some variables there.
power (type of power: torque vs acceleration)
very linear power delivery on either bike, there are no sudden peaks or valleys, smooth full oomph idle to redline. The Speedie, with a K and N filter and Triumph's CF high mount can, has an exceptionally fat torque curve that is about as much fun as can be had fully clothed. I recently rode a mate's '08 Speedie and the entertainment factor is ridiculous.
around town cruising
You can certainly do this on either bike, however I wouldn't think that you'll be following that description per se, once you gain some familiarity with either of these bikes. Call that action "being cleared for take- off"...
passenger comfort for the occasional passenger
I rarely ride two- up, however most opinions here are that the ST is just fine, thanks. Pillion seating on a Speedie? The footpegs on the new bikes are fairly high, although not as high as the pre- '08 models, and the seat itself is not the most accommodating. The Speedie likes being ridden solo in my experience, unless the passenger is limber, light, and of the opposite sex.
reliability
generally, anvil- like.
major dislikes
My only dislike would be that I sold my Speedie. Having an ST and a Trip at the same time for two years was delightful.

denoose

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks..

Excellent reply, thank you.

So, here is the question...... If you had to choose one..?

Or did you answer that by saying you sold the S3? :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Based on your needs, I would go Sprint. The Speed Triple can handle long distance...but you might not. Its not designed for it, but can be done.

The Speed Triple is a Hooligan Bike. The Sprint is a Man of the Backcountry Bike.

As for my credentials, I own a Daytona 675 and a Bonneville. My dad has a Sprint RS that I ride a lot as well. The Speed Triple will be my next bike though.

Or hell....get both

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Leo

Based on your criteria:

"would be doing mostly around town and a little back road riding. Maybe an occasional day trip, but wouldnt buy the bike specificaly for that"

A tail pack on a Speed Triple, and Bob's your uncle....take an opportunity to ride both, and then you can make an informed decision. If you need the "legs" and touring capabilities of a Sprint, you'll be very happy with that bike, I know I am. But for the purposes you've described. A Speed Trip is spot- on...and they tour just fine...here's three of us on a weekend tooze, my foolishly- departed '01 in front

denoose

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome to the Sprint forum Leonidas:)

I think you have some good answers already.

I would add that considering your riding is mostly around town that any of these bikes are more than capable and I do like the Speed Trip too.

But the engine tune and power characteristics of the Sprint, especially when you change the front sprocket to 18 teeth in lieu of the stock 19 teeth, that you have a machine with very easy to ride slow or fast.

Either will make you happy.

I have owned many bikes over many years road riding and the Sprint is the best all rounder I have ever owned.
I also own a very much loved '04 Daytona 955 but it is not the "general purpose do all things easily" bike that a Sprint is.

In Australia the Triumph Sprint ST is the 3rd top selling sports tourer over all brands.

Oh and before I forget, Don and I ask all our new peeps to please read our forum stickies, thanks:)

cheers
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suppose the more and more i look at the S3...i cant get past the chopped look.. i love the rest of it its mean looking which i love, but that chopped end..i dont know...

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I think the Sprint is the overall more versatile bike. It can commute well and it can tour well. If you buy the Sprint, you may find yourself wanting to tour even though you say you're not really planning on it. I'd like a S3 myself, but every time I see one, I cannot imagine having one as my only bike. That's mainly because if I only can have one bike, I want one that does it all reasonably well.

In the end, I think you owe it to yourself before you drop this much cash to ride both as Denoose said. Then with all the opinions you get, you can make the informed and seat-of-your-pants decision.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that assessment is right on the money.

Just what I was thinking.

The dealership I have been working with has a 09 Black Sprint on the floor. They have been very nice to deal with. They know I am closing on a house this week, so they arent pushy at all. I told them as soon as I close, I will call and tell them to get her ready.

My only other question, was how important is ABS? They said they could locate a gray one with ABS, but its another $1000.00. There is the $800 between the ABS and non ABS, and then shipping, and of course they would rather sell what they have on the floor.

Is ABS worth another 1k?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
ABS vs. Non

I cannot really say whether it's worth it or not. I haven't had a close enough call to know. But I am sure there are guys out there that wouldn't be without it. I bought used and didn't have to face the decision as much. Either way though, I'd be happy with Black or Graphite. I'll let the other guys who have more knowledge comment on the pros and cons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts