Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all. My name is Bill and I'm very interested in buying a new 2009 Bonneville T100. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the new bonnevilles because the only ones I ever owned were 2 "1979" Bonneville Specials and a "66" 500 twin. The idea of the new ones being fuel injected really appeals to me. I hope the new ones are smoother running at highway speeds than they used to be.

Bill

·
Registered
104 Posts
my dad had a '63 Bonneville. he loved that bike, but has told me all sorts of stories about how difficult it was to keep her running. that bike left him stranded quite a few times. amazing what 40 years of R&D can do. all i gotta say is hooray for electronic ignition!

i bought an '08 Bonnie last month. the only drawback i can tell so far is that she takes 2-3 minutes to warm up from cold, and you have to mind the choke. sometimes i need to take off down the road with the choke pulled out just a little and push it in when i get to the 3rd or 4th stoplight.

still...not a big deal. this bike is great fun, and very smooth. not to mention beautiful.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Back in the saddle

Howdy Bill, welcome to the board.
You can't go wrong with one of the new ones, although I'm not particularly wild about the new ones(08-9) since I have an 07, the last year for "real" carbs but if you've owned one in the past, as quite a few of us "returning" bikers, you will love the new ones.
More weight, they aren't as light and "whippy" as the older bonnies, but along with that some unimaginal power...the new ones will pin your ears back when you roll on some throttle.
The look, classic bonneville....but no more of the lucas ignitions, the Amal carbs and electronic ignition...wow, a bike that is reliable and won't leave you on the side of the road.
Find a dealer who will let you test ride and take a nice one....you'll return with your checkbook in hand ready to sign on the dotted line!
Let us know when you have her in the garage, post some pics.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Welcome. I did the same thing - joined about a month prior to get a feel for what to expect before my T100 landed in my lap (figuratively, that is). Something I could not have been happier about. Great site, great folks, and lots of great info to be gleaned here. :cool:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Welcome Bill! I joined back in Aug. when I thought I could turn my leased car in early, lease something cheaper, and have something left over to get an '09 Scrambler around year's end. I wanted to get educated prior to purchase. Turns out I'll have to hang on to the car longer than expected, but even though the blessed day is still months away, I know I'll be extremely Scram-savvy when it does come thanks to the helpful, knowledgable people here!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
excited to hear from you all

Thanks for the welcome and it sounds like the new Bonnevilles are much improved. It seems like the new owners of Triumph Co. are on the ball. They seem to be right up there in engineering with the japs. Is the clutch easier to pull in and does the gearshift work as light and precise as the jap bikes? I hope with 865cc they are very torquey. My son has a 750 Honda Nighthawk with about 60 horsepower and it moves along pretty good. I hope I can stay with him on a new Bonneville.

Bill

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
From my perspective, the clutch was, at first, disconcertingly light, but I got used to it. The gearbox, to me, is a joy. Nice positive clicks.

Mind you, this perspective also comes from riding a dry clutch with a clunky Italian gearbox for six straight weeks until the Bonnie came along. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hiya

Welcome m8

You will find a multitude of Bonnie nutters in here and they offer good advice aswell, of course you understand serious therapy will be required as your Trumpet addiction takes over your life!:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts