Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new to the forum
A little about myself, I have been riding since I was 8-years old, that was a long, long time ago. In all that time I have never owned a road bike, they have all been dirt and dual-sports bikes.
I have looked at several different bikes before settling on a 2008 Triumph Sprint ST. I will pick the bike up sometime in March.
I have a few questions:

I have used Stainless Steel Oil Filter and K&N air filters on my 4x4s and the last few motorcycles. Is anyone her using one of both on your bike and with what kind of results.

I have searched for rad guards, is anyone using one, if so what kind?

Last question for now, the dealer says that the valves do not need to be adjusted until I hit 15,000 miles. I have always adjusted valves before I hit 500 miles so I am a little concerned about waiting that long. What is everyone else doing? I will get a manual and probable check them way before what the dealer is telling me.

Thanks for the info and looking forward to reading more on line about my new bike.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Welcome!

I use K&N on all my Triumphs. They are easy to clean and use, as you already know. I'm not sure they added any performance but the sound improved noticeably. As far as the valve adjustment interval, I've followed the factory recommendation just because I live so far away from a dealer (and to save myself a few bucks).

Can't answer the other questions.

·
Premium Member
24,401 Posts
Welcome mat out

Hi and welcome to our Sprint forum here at TriumphRat.net MotoPhoto:)

You will enjoy your Sprint when you take delivery I am sure.

I think that major service for valves will be at 12,000miles or 20,000kms not the 15 you have been told and yes this is as per the service interval specification.

Minor services at 10,000kms and every 20,000kms is a major service with valve clearance check. This is normal on all 955 and 1050 engined Triumph Sprints.

Not sure what you mean by a stainless steel oil filter though.

As for the K&N I run one on my own '04 Sprint ST although it is a hot topic as some swear they are no good and others swear they are great.:p

On the being a noob we here ask all our newbies to please read our forum stickies.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts