Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about the sprint, mostly anything 2006 and newer.

First off was there any changes to the bike during these years?

How is the stock seat on this bike, most of the time when you get a new bike the seat is the worst thing about it and almost always get replaced and have to shell out another 300 right out of the gate.

Is there much heat that comes off these things? Owned a 2005 fjr and it felt like I was being cooked while I was rideing it, nothing worked to fix the problem and I ended up selling the bike,its a shame becasue it was a nice bike, except the problem I had with the heat.

Ok how about the handle bars, how comfortable is the riding position? im 6'1'' with a 32'' inseam and I weigh around 225lbs

I currently own a 07 roadstar warrior and its a cool bike but if I want to do any long distance riding I have to always be on the lookout for a gas station I can get about 110 before I get in some trouble and do alot of pushing..lol

I think thats all for now...

Thanks for any answers.

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome to the Sprint forum sml-2727:)

Don and ask all our new people to please have a squizz at our forum stickies as a matter of course:v_SPIN:

As you are coming from a cruiser you will find the riding position very different, there are a lot of bar threads here which go into depth on the subject.
Bottom line on the bars is if you do not have specific inhibiting injuries then you should have no problems the 1050's have considerably higher bars than the 955 models.

As for heat, lots of threads about that too, there is a foam kit for the fairing available if not fitted to your model already and an aftermarket free flowing exhaust will also reduce the heat.

Enjoy the forum.....................

DaveM:HappySidecar

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
1. How is the stock seat on this bike...

2. Is there much heat that comes off these things?

3. Ok how about the handle bars, how comfortable is the riding position? im 6'1'' with a 32'' inseam and I weigh around 225lbs

4. ...I can get about 110 before I get in some trouble and do alot of pushing..lol
Welcome, and here we go.

I have an '06 Sprinty with the newer taller handlebar kit from the '07..on.

1. The stock Sprint seat is the most comfortable stock seat that I have ever owned (been riding since 1970).

2. I have the Triumph heat kit installed (basically, foam strategically placed in the fairing). I also have some aftermarket pipes that get rid of the catalytic converter (and its heat!). I have no heat issues. Sure she gets a little warm, but no worse than many other bikes I've owned.

3. We are near the same size. I have the taller Sprint bars and THEY ARE PERFECT FOR ME. DOWNRIGHT WONDERFUL.

4. My Sprinty gets about 48mpg on extended trips. So, I don't have to fill-up until about 200 miles. The tank is 5.3 US gallons, me thinks. She also runs on mid-grade.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were do you purchase the heat kit from? and what manufactures sell pipes for the sprint? what are the average cost?

thanks

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
Heat Kit

You can only obtain the heat kit from the dealer network as it is a Triumph part.

As for pipes there are a number and a search will bring up a lot of threads with reviews photos vids and sound.

To name a few:
Trident (UK and most popular here):UKflag
D & D (USA and louder than most):AmericanFlag
IXIL (European brand don't remember where)
Triumph make their own off road can it is also quite popular.:UKflag

DaveM:RightSidecar

·
Registered
764 Posts
The heat kit I understand is std on 07+ models. I don't have it on my bike and I find it acceptable.

The popular aftermarket mufflers are Triumph TOR, Trident, IXIL, Two Brothers and D&D

Not much difference between 05 & 06. 07 got higher bars and screen as stock, larger cut outs in the lower fairings, revised seat and newer ECM.

08+ got a steel tank instead plastic and revised headlight.

The stock seat gets a mixed review. Some like WardenRoss love it and so do a number of friends of mine. I found the seat shape reasonably good but the foam too soft. My butt and my pillions would get very sore after an hour of riding. The poor mans solution is to place a 12mm thick layer of dense foam in between the seat base and the existing foam. Cost about $10 and about an hour of time.

I run the lower bars and I like them. I prefer the more sporty riding position. I am a similar stature to yourself and find the position very comfortable. Occasionally I bang my knee against the fairing when I am really hanging off it. You have plenty of clearance with the footpegs too.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
More on the stock seat.

On every bike that I have ever owned, I HAVE to purchase a custom seat after about three months of suffering.

However, I've been riding this stock seat Sprint for two years and I'm just now contemplating having a custom seat made.

That says a lot with my history and tender buns! Of course, I do use a sheep skin cover on extended rides.

Believe me, there are far worse stock seats out there in motorcycledom (ever rode a Ducati?)!

Whatever!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice, I guess all I need to do now is take one for a ride and see if I really like it or not, theres a shop about 20 mins away that allows demo rides.

I really like the 09 in black, can you normally deal with a brand new bike?

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I tested the ST I did not like the standard seat as it seemed to push me into the tank more than I liked. As Triumph was offering 800GBP's of free kit I opted for the Gel seat, much better but gotta watch that sun on the seat as it burns the ol bum:eek:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bottom line on the bars is if you do not have specific inhibiting injuries then you should have no problems the 1050's have considerably higher bars than the 955 models.
DaveM:HappySidecar
Did not realize the riding position is different on the 1050s. Another reason I'm glad I didn't make the switch this spring from my '01 to a '08.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts