Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm from the UK and I've just put a deposit down on a new Scrambler and was after any advice you guys might be able to give on them to a first time buyer, such as:

1. What paint work to protect from scratches etc.
i. I've not found an official Triumph tank protector, does this mean you don't need to worry about it scratching?! Guess not, what protectors do people recommend?
ii. Anywhere else you tend get rubbing on the bike (boots, keys etc)
2. Has anyone fitted a top box? Sorry I'm a commuter, ugly things but necessary! If so, can you post a picutre? May consider soft luggage if truly ugly. Also, what rack did you fit? Looking at Renntec at the moment as available in the UK.
3. Any specific mods you'd recommend straight off?
4. Any other advice?

Thank you all in advance for your help.
cpp01

·
Premium Member
2009 Bonnevile SE
4,869 Posts
For no 2 check out the Saddlebags sticky. Lots of photos there.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Congrats on your new Scram. I love mine. The beauty of these machines is that you really don't have to modify them, but you can modify to your individual taste. I got TOR's cause I couldn't take the sound, and removed the AI as soon as I got it. Suspension is rudimentary but adequate depending on your riding style. I did shocks and springs soon after. I later went on to do a bunch of engine performance upgrades and lightening procedures that were my attempt to make the perfect beast, which in my opinion, I accomplished. But once again, what you do in that category is up to you. Luckily I got a flat tire and was forced to get good quality dual purpose tires. That improved things too.

The best modification is turning up the odometer. Ride and have fun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. Not really after saddle bags at the momemnt, can't afford to do any touring for a while. Next year now! Managed to find 2 top box pictures on the site but couldn't really see how it affected the lines.

The TORS are the Triumph Off Road exhausts right? Not road legal according to the blurb so not keen on them as UK plod are keen to catch that sort of thing!

What's the benefit of removing the AI? To be honest, although love performance, as my main form of transport I'm keen on how to improve fuel economy too (sad I know!). One thing you can be sure off is me adding on miles to the bike :)

Would love to hear any other comments you might have.

Thanks,
Cpp01

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use a Tirumph leather city-bag on the left side for my T100. That would work great on a Scrambler but it takes a long time (at least for me) to find a deal on one.
I have a Cortech tailbag on my Scrambler for commuting and it fits my laptap and other stuff OK. My Scrambler also has a Renntec rack and a Saddleman hard case fits on that nicely although I never use it. It came with the bike. Lot's of options out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.